New Forum Options: Wouldn't it be nice ?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Forum Options: Wouldn't it be nice ?

Postby timothy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:20 pm

We have all seen examples of solid threads of interest being enjoyed and contributed to by specific people that suddenly become 'infected' or intentionally de-railed by persons simply trying to draw attention to themselves when they in fact have nothing to contribute. I've heard these types called "Fun Suckers".

It might be a good option if the Author of the thread has a bit more control over the replies. If the author could impose a few rules and filters. Such as being the sole person being able to filer and/or delete inappropriate or nonsensical or annoying posts in his/her thread. After the fact.

The author could personally delete unwanted posts, annoying posts, or even impose a filter on the thread by barring certain persons from posting in his thread.

For example, if I wanted to begin a new Thread about anything in Peru but did not wish the thread to be stalked and trivialized by Chi Chi, I could place a filter that would prevent his entry to my thread.

I would do it for me.

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Forum Options: Wouldn't it be nice ?

Postby teamoperu » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I used to work professionally in change management and the first stumbling block was always resistance to change. People often find it easier to think about how it won't work, than to explore how it could work. This is an interesting idea, worthy of thought and open-minded discussion to see how it could work. IMHO
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Sometimes good threads could have a very long life when people add adventures and good ideas that are relative to the thread, but good threads can end quickly when a wet blanket gets thrown over the idea or someone tries to take the thread in a different direction because they have nothing to say...just want to flash their name for egos' sake. And some posters have verbal diarrhea and just like to hear themselves talk.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Problem on this board is that only 10 User are actually active :D
So if even there is an interesting thread , it dies pretty quick or it turns into a personal insult battle for one or the other reason...sad but thats the truth.
hennekea
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby hennekea » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Well if not many people are active daily, all the more reason it would be nice to save up some "timeless" posts in a searcheable file. Things like some jokes, tourist advice, immigration information, advice for job seekers, and other useful posts could be saved into a "classics" file so that we could just access them as needed. I think it could be very helpful.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:49 am

hennekea wrote:Well if not many people are active daily, all the more reason it would be nice to save up some "timeless" posts in a searcheable file. Things like some jokes, tourist advice, immigration information, advice for job seekers, and other useful posts could be saved into a "classics" file so that we could just access them as needed. I think it could be very helpful.

You are correct about a 'classics' category. I'm sure that every couple of years, the same well-hashed subjects keep coming up, but then again, time changes all things. Where to get the best cerviche might change yearly.

It would be excellent reference, nonetheless.

But, it would also be nice for the author only to be able to go thu the original thread and delete trite comments that have little or nothing to do with the thread. And delete the vandals and their graffiti.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:58 am

hennekea wrote:Well if not many people are active daily, all the more reason it would be nice to save up some "timeless" posts in a searcheable file. Things like some jokes, tourist advice, immigration information, advice for job seekers, and other useful posts could be saved into a "classics" file so that we could just access them as needed. I think it could be very helpful.

At the top of the home page in the blue bar just under the 'expatperu' logo you'll find much of the information you're talking about.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:05 am

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions and the interest in improving the forums. I considered the idea some time ago, but in practice it just seems unworkable given the tendency of threads to divert, and given the fact that we might not all agree on what should be put into the "classics" file.

We did make some attempts though: Splitting the Expat Information forum into "news" then "conversations" was one way to separate key information from discussion. We also created the "cost of living" thread and placed it as a "sticky" at the top of the forum, but I suspect that people become blind to these immobile threads after awhile.

Anyway, if it is techically possible and doesn´t represent much more work for me, I am happy to try out other things.

Cheers,
Alan
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am

It's not so easy as it seems. I'm programming Forum Software and have seen from experience that users should not be allowed to delete threads or comments.

If the forum has a moderation you could user to report a naughty or offensive comments. Other than this I'm usually implementing an ignore function. Thus you won't see the comments from a certain person.

Giving people the possibility to delete from others they do not like, sooner or less leads to an abuse.

A good moderation is the way to go as you will always find people arguing, trolls or whatsoever. It's in human nature.

The search function should find everything ever posted in a forum.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:30 pm

TShadow wrote:

The search function should find everything ever posted in a forum.

This is true. We could all make this work a little bit better by taking care when titling our posts. Posts with a clear title are easier to browse for, search for, and to remember.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Guiri wrote:Problem on this board is that only 10 User are actually active :D

Seems that way sometimes, doesn´t it.. but I´d bet the number is closer to 30 or 40 casual or regular posters, and quite a few more lurkers who come looking for information.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 am

[quote="TShadow"]It's not so easy as it seems. I'm programming Forum Software and have seen from experience that users should not be allowed to delete threads or comments.
Other than this I'm usually implementing an ignore function. Thus you won't see the comments from a certain person.

Ignoring ? Is this a workable function of this Forum?

A GREAT BIG IGNORE BUTTON WOULD BE GREAT !
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:40 am

If you don't have the ability to "ignore" without the assistance of a big button you've got problems.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:45 am

timothy wrote:We have all seen examples of solid threads of interest being enjoyed and contributed to by specific people that suddenly become 'infected' or intentionally de-railed by persons simply trying to draw attention to themselves when they in fact have nothing to contribute. I've heard these types called "Fun Suckers".

It might be a good option if the Author of the thread has a bit more control over the replies. If the author could impose a few rules and filters. Such as being the sole person being able to filer and/or delete inappropriate or nonsensical or annoying posts in his/her thread. After the fact.

The author could personally delete unwanted posts, annoying posts, or even impose a filter on the thread by barring certain persons from posting in his thread.

For example, if I wanted to begin a new Thread about anything in Peru but did not wish the thread to be stalked and trivialized by Chi Chi, I could place a filter that would prevent his entry to my thread.

I would do it for me.

I get it in theory, but can't picture it being effective in practice. Too easy to work around. For instance, a "fun sucker" (using your example) could create a thread, say whatever they want, no matter how ludicrous, false, nonsensical, mean spirited, attention seeking, etc., and whenever anyone posted a correction, a challenge to provide proof backing up their statement, or just a contrary opinion, the OP could just delete the post and silence dissent/contrary opinion because those who question would be "derailing" their thread. Instead of an open forum encouraging dialogue, it would turn into more of bulletin board filled with monologues resembling a blog that doesn't allow comments. As long as the general rules of the forum are being followed, it would seem futile to try and control threads based on what are ultimately subjective opinions. Anybody who's been on the interweb long enough should know that it's a relatively free and open forum and that not everything you encounter is exactly factual. I guess it's good to challenge false information, but based on past and current requests to provide proof for what some consider ludicrous statements I wouldn't have expectations of the "fun sucking" behavior to stop. It obviously fills a psychological need of the "fun suckers," so when it comes to the interweb it's necessary to take the bad with the good.

Perhaps a thumbs up/thumbs down option so users can express their agreement or disagreement with a post? Not saying it's necessary, but it might be interesting.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

As I just posted in another thread, YES, you can ignore someone.

Just add them to you "enemy" list in the User Control Panel.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:49 am

gringolandia wrote:As I just posted in another thread, YES, you can ignore someone.

Just add them to you "enemy" list in the User Control Panel.

That could be called a "The Perfume Solution". Although it would not solve the problem, it would make the ignored comments smell better (because you'd never see them). Out of sight, out of mind............. Just sidestep the puddles and piles, and carry on.

I also like Ironchief's suggestion about the 'thumbs up, thumbs down' option about posts, providing Facebook would not bring a lawsuit against ExPatPeru.
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am

I'm a fan of the thumbs solution too. Also could be as an informal anonymous survey tool in certain situations?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register