Has ExPatPeru lost its original focus?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Has ExPatPeru lost its original focus?

Postby timothy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:14 am

I have used ExPatPeru over the past six years primarily just before making trips to the Andes. I use the forum to seek current and valid information and opinions regarding questions I might have about Peru. I would suspect that almost all new visitors arrive at this site for the same reason.

But what do they find these days? A plethora of nonsense and a site dominated by a few individuals with too much time on their hands and nothing of substance to offer. Individuals creating multiple monikers in order to pat themselves on their collective backs, and for the reason of harassment of other members both within the forum, and outside the forum with private messages.

Is Ironchief really playing all of these games, or is he just winding up others by claiming to do so? Is Alan really CC ? Is that why he would let a thread run and then put a 'lock' on it when he gets in a final insult?

Locking a thread? If any thread has offended the powers that be, then why not make the whole thing disappear and remove it in its entirety?

Has this forum evolved into nothing more than an internet game or some silly social media exchange ? Is the new goal of ExPatPeru quantity over quality ?

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Has ExPatPeru lost its original focus?

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 am

Oh my god, look who's talking? :shock:

Do you feel yourself surendered and got nowhere to run and are you trying to talk yourself out of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABbc-O_3_Ac

Is this your way of saying ''adios''?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Timothy I know exactly what you mean and must concur it is a sad situation. I came to Peru in 2007 and was fully committed to making my life here. The best resource to enable me to succeed was EXPAT and they fulfilled this by enabling me to stay within the law and allow me to achieve all that I needed to sustain a happy and secure lifestyle in Peru. I thank the many friends I made and I I felt I should accommodate any members that needed the same type of help. I have now realised It was a waist of effort with the torrent of misinformation and the efforts to score house points. I now see ExPat as a stage for entertainment value only. A few long term members, such as Teamperu and others have worked tirelessly in there efforts to maintain this most valued source, but I think they are wasting their time. I believe it is a numbers game based on entertainment value only.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Adrian, that's why there are different fórums.

Expat information is about the more serious stuff. Information about visas, work, cost of living, where to buy stuff, etc.

The expat conversations fórum is the more entertaining fórum. That's why it originally was called the ''off topic forum''.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:13 pm

chi chi wrote:Adrian, that's why there are different fórums.

Expat information is about the more serious stuff. Information about visas, work, cost of living, where to buy stuff, etc.

The expat conversations fórum is the more entertaining fórum. That's why it originally was called the ''off topic forum''.

chi chi this is exactly what I mean. You have immediately tried to divert the topic on to the types of forum. The Conversation forum was only formed a short time ago just prior to Kelly, who is sadly missed, decided enough was enough. Since that day jokers like you have trolled every forum in an effort to plant dissention in the ranks. I am absolutely sure you are happy with the result and applaud yourself . I am also sure a lot of disillusioned members will not be returning to help others.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm

I have not been here on a long time. Good to see some one mentioned the 800 pound llama in the blog. I gleamed a lot of information here, but comments are normally ignored due to fighting of the prominent members. Recently if some one asks something I might be of help with, I just PM them on the side. Como siempre, mis mejor deseos a los expats en Peru.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:30 pm

captcosmic wrote:I have not been here on a long time. Good to see some one mentioned the 800 pound llama in the blog. I gleamed a lot of information here, but comments are normally ignored due to fighting of the prominent members. Recently if some one asks something I might be of help with, I just PM them on the side. Como siempre, mis mejor deseos a los expats en Peru.

I think this is the sentiment of most people.. I personally would prefer a more heavily moderated on topic forum but that's a call for the higher ups.
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chante » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:50 pm

I also used to turn to Expat Peru for information about various aspects of living in Peru. I don't any more as the forums seem to have been hijacked by a few members who post on every thread, start new ones that don't seem at all relevant to the the purpose of this site. There seems to be some in-fighting between a few members who negatively comment on each others' posts - not at all helpful.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:29 am

timothy wrote:I have used ExPatPeru over the past six years primarily just before making trips to the Andes. I use the forum to seek current and valid information and opinions regarding questions I might have about Peru. I would suspect that almost all new visitors arrive at this site for the same reason.

But what do they find these days? A plethora of nonsense and a site dominated by a few individuals with too much time on their hands and nothing of substance to offer. Individuals creating multiple monikers in order to pat themselves on their collective backs, and for the reason of harassment of other members both within the forum, and outside the forum with private messages.

Is Ironchief really playing all of these games, or is he just winding up others by claiming to do so? Is Alan really CC ? Is that why he would let a thread run and then put a 'lock' on it when he gets in a final insult?

Locking a thread? If any thread has offended the powers that be, then why not make the whole thing disappear and remove it in its entirety?

Has this forum evolved into nothing more than an internet game or some silly social media exchange ? Is the new goal of ExPatPeru quantity over quality ?

Hi Timothy (and the others who have responded). Sorry for my own late response. I have been traveling and with on-again-off-again access to the internet.

To answer your last question first, no the goal is not to become quantity over quality, but if you analyze your question, you bump into the crux of the problem: different people have different views about "quality". I have my own viewpoint, and I have expressed it here before, but that said, the underlying concept at work here is to allow this to be a vibrant community - not a pure reflection of my own vision of how things should or should not be. Check back six years (and tens of thousands) of posts ago and you will see that it wasn´t that much different then as it is now.

You ask why the post was locked and not deleted. Good question, and one that I should have clarified at the time. In the first place, posts like those are usually not allowed to stand, but in this case I could tell that there was some venting that needed to be done - but at some arbitrary point we need to move on, otherwise these discussion deteriorate into flame warms. Posts can be deleted straight away, locked and then deleted (so people can refer to them if they want to PM me), or sometimes locked and left to stand.

And whether "is Alan really CC?" :D Of course not, but I sure wish I had that kind of time on my hands!

Anyway, thanks for the remarks. Please PM me if you have further concerns. Now that I am back in Lima, I will spend a bit of time trying sort this out.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:37 am

The short answer Timothy is YES. I also agree with Adrian's first post. I still try to help people sometimes, but often wonder if it is really worth going to the trouble. I just recently read the posts about "Finally getting Married" and made the comment about most of the posts being little more but trash.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am

Well, every day is a new day. Nothing stopping us from making it a new day, a new start for Expat. That means WE have participate with quality information and, yes, even quality discussion. Alan can only do so much, it is up to us to take individual responsibility too. Together we can.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register