Make $500 bringing our dog home for the holidays

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Make $500 bringing our dog home for the holidays

Postby jvimage » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 am

Lola.jpg
Lola.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

Hello, Expats,

Flying to Florida and want to make a cool $500 for the holidays?

We are looking for someone who is flying to Miami, or Orlando on Lan, American or United over the next 2-3 weeks who wants to earn a minimum of $500 for bringing our Lab Lola home for the holidays. We will also pay for the extra baggage charge, $160- $200 , depending on the airline.

Only Lan, American and United accept larger pets that can not fly in cabin.

She has all her shots, required paperwork and kennel and is ready to fly. A handler who's been caring for her will deliver Lola to the airport, or where ever is convenient.

Call, 352-300-8502

Cheers!

be as you are
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Make $500 bringing our dog home for the holidays

Postby teamoperu » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm

sent to you a PM
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Hope he dog is not ja-packed with drugs.

Sorry, but this is a legitimate concern everybody should have when bringing items or animals for another person from Peru to other countries.

I may assume that in the present case everything is ok, however, check it!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:21 pm

I wish you luck with your pet !

I'm still biting my tongue regarding the previous post.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 pm

This topic is quickly turning in to a podium for maligning rather than having a constructive debate. As this is the case I have no alternative but to delete all posts not related to the original post.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:This topic is quickly turning in to a podium for maligning rather than having a constructive debate. As this is the case I have no alternative but to delete all posts not related to the original post.

Adrian, I personally think that the OP is genuine and not up to something odd but people surely have to warned about bringing packages for other people out of the country.

Because of the more strict controls of customs, narcotraficante are inventing more ways of smuggling drugs.

Even dead babies are used to smuggle drugs.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:57 am

chi chi wrote:[
Adrian, I personally think that the OP is genuine and not up to something odd but people surely have to warned about bringing packages for other people out of the country.

Because of the more strict controls of customs, narcotraficante are inventing more ways of smuggling drugs.

Even dead babies are used to smuggle drugs.

Chi Chi I completely agree with you and this is why I have left the relevant comment in, together with any response that may be made. I believe the OP is genuine, but the risk is always there. My brief is to monitor and if contributions go off topic, or more so start maligning, I will react.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:40 am

This is a human interest story that involves Peru and the weak, if non-existent so-called ex-pat "community". Perhaps Peru This Week or other non-grinch type media would take it from here or perhaps a Facebook page is in order to cause a happy ending to this story with a holiday theme.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 pm

randomperson wrote:This is a human interest story that involves Peru and the weak, if non-existent so-called ex-pat "community". Perhaps Peru This Week or other non-grinch type media would take it from here or perhaps a Facebook page is in order to cause a happy ending to this story with a holiday theme.

This is a story about a family that were unable to settle in Peru and moved to Florida. They intended to take their dog with them but sadly as they were going to rented accommodation, with a ban on pets, were unable to do so. The OP has followed up his original request for help with a post in the jobs section and note here in the hope of paying a person to take the dog to the states. I have attached the link to the earlier posting should anybody want further information:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26386&p=136381#p136381
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:03 pm

DSC_0143.jpg
Lola at MIA!
DSC_0143.jpg (257.56 KiB) Viewed 2634 times

Thanks to the Peru expats who responded to our request.

I am glad to share that I just got back home with Lola last night.

Got a good deal on AA and took the Wed red-eye to Lima, spent 3 days sorting things out and flew back Sat morning.

All smooth sailing and just in time for Thanksgiving. Everyone at home is elated.

All is well that ends well.

Thanks to all again!

Cheers
be as you are
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Wonderful news. Very well done.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Flying isn't fun for dogs.

Dogs are very scared when they are in the cargo hold.

Dogs hear better than people so the aircraft noise is worser for them and then there´s the turbulence.
They are always put in the FWD cargo hold as it's heated by the avionics compartment. If they are put in the AFT cargo hold then they will come out frozen.

When I was working as a flight attendant on the ATR72, a dog escaped from the cargo hold and ran into the cabin. As I was sitting on the FWD crewseat, the dog jumped on my lap. :lol:
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:05 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
randomperson wrote:This is a human interest story that involves Peru and the weak, if non-existent so-called ex-pat "community". Perhaps Peru This Week or other non-grinch type media would take it from here or perhaps a Facebook page is in order to cause a happy ending to this story with a holiday theme.

This is a story about a family that were unable to settle in Peru and moved to Florida. They intended to take their dog with them but sadly as they were going to rented accommodation, with a ban on pets, were unable to do so. The OP has followed up his original request for help with a post in the jobs section and note here in the hope of paying a person to take the dog to the states. I have attached the link to the earlier posting should anybody want further information:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26386&p=136381#p136381

Great follow up guys. Thanks for your concern. Our family was in Peru for several years but never planned to settle there permanently. Our dog Lola was a welcome addition and quicly became a cherised part of our lives in Lima. Our work ended in May so we moved back to our home in northern Florida. Airlines have travel restrictions for pets in cargo hold during the summer months in the U.S., so even though we missed her, it turns out the wait was for the best. We hope our experiece helps other expats who may be going back home with a pet from Peru.

Cheers.
be as you are
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 am

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks for the followup, jvimage, you news makes me happy.
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 am

chi chi wrote:Flying isn't fun for dogs.

Dogs hear better than people so the aircraft noise is worser for them and then there´s the turbulence.
They are always put in the FWD cargo hold as it's heated by the avionics compartment. If they are put in the AFT cargo hold then they will come out frozen.

When I was working as a flight attendant on the ATR72, a dog escaped from the cargo hold and ran into the cabin. As I was sitting on the FWD crewseat, the dog jumped on my lap. :lol:

A dog running through the aisle, wow that woukd be weird. Lola is a Short European Lab, or working "gun dog", her breed is bred for work retreiving game after is shot, so no problem with sudden loud noises. Plus she lived in crazy noisy Lima all her life, so not easily startled. At home she retreives our shoes for us in the morning. No hunters in iur household, but she still loves to work. Thanks for sharing the story. Lola is back home with us now.
be as you are
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:09 am

chi chi wrote:Flying isn't fun for dogs.

LOL
A dog escapes from the forward cargo hold and accesses the cabin on a ATR. What did he use, the doggie door between the hold and the cabin – not. Then of course he finds his way to your lap, (sitting down on the job), not the onboard owner. LOL
Funny thing here is that some sucker believed your story.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:35 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:When I was working as a flight attendant on the ATR72, a dog escaped from the cargo hold and ran into the cabin. As I was sitting on the FWD crewseat, the dog jumped on my lap. :lol:

LOL
A dog escapes from the forward cargo hold and accesses the cabin on a ATR. What did he use, the doggie door between the hold and the cabin – not.

There's just a curtain and a harness between the AFT cargo hold and the cabin. And they don't always close properly.

teamoperu, you only flew as as passenger and not as a crewmember so I understand that some things and aircraft jargón are difficult to understand for you.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 pm

To clarify. The forward hold of an ATR72 is between the pilots cabin and passenger entrance.

The question asked was:
When the cargo part is totally loaded, can the cockpit crew get into the pax cabin if needed?

The front cargo hold is actually separated by a small walk way that runs from the cockpit into the hold and into the passenger compartment. Both sides are secured by nets so the bags don't fall into the walkway. The passenger door is simply just a door that locks from the hold and can easily be penetrated but the door leading to the cockpit is the one that is enforced per law.
Attachments
189529_800.jpg
The security is very high.
189529_800.jpg (137.82 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Can we please move on now? We have some very imaginative posters, but as it is a conversational forum I suggest it is taken with a very large pinch of salt.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I suggest it is taken with a very large pinch of salt.

....and some tequila :lol:
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:To clarify. The forward hold of an ATR72 is between the pilots cabin and passenger entrance.

The question asked was:
When the cargo part is totally loaded, can the cockpit crew get into the pax cabin if needed?

The front cargo hold is actually separated by a small walk way that runs from the cockpit into the hold and into the passenger compartment. Both sides are secured by nets so the bags don't fall into the walkway. The passenger door is simply just a door that locks from the hold and can easily be penetrated but the door leading to the cockpit is the one that is enforced per law.

Not sure Adrian. You should ask the airline.

Cheers
be as you are
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:41 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:To clarify. The forward hold of an ATR72 is between the pilots cabin and passenger entrance.

The question asked was:

Look Adrian, I don't want to be pedantic, but I think that you will find that the ATR72 MkIII does in fact have a dog flap directly adjacent to the luggage access port. However, one of the issues with the MkIII dog flap was the ability of the larger variants to get through from the hold into the passenger cabin, where it could find a resting crew member and get straight onto his/her lap. Hope that helps.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

teamoperu wrote:LOL
A dog escapes from the forward cargo hold and accesses the cabin on a ATR. What did he use, the doggie door between the hold and the cabin – not. Then of course he finds his way to your lap, (sitting down on the job), not the onboard owner. LOL
Funny thing here is that some sucker believed your story.

The dog escaped from the AFT cargo hold. On most aircraft, animals are put in the FWD cargo hold because that cargo hold is heated.
On the ATR, the AFT cargo hold is only closed by a curtain so that cargo hold gets heated.

The question asked was:

If the FWD cargo hold is totally loaded then the crew can go from the cabin to the flight deck. Cabin staff has to check the flight deck every 15 minutes.
I worked on several flight were due to turbulence or the nets becoming detached that the flight deck or cabin door gets obstructed by baggage.
The door between the cabin and the FWD cargo hold is locked an the flight attendants keep the key. The door between the flight deck and the FWD cargo hold is indeed a reinforced door.

The passenger entrace on the ATR is in the aft and not behind the FWD cargo hold. There are a few exceptions however. Some aircrafts have different configurations.
The ATR 72 has also a tailprop, this is to avoid that aircraft will tip over during embarkation and disembarkation.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:16 pm

So since the original dog in question is named Lola, is it a female dog?

Or is it a male dog dressed up as a female dog?

"Well I'm not the world's most masculine man,
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man,
And so is Lola.
Lo lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo lo Lola."

(There, now I won't be the only person with that song stuck in my head after reading this thread)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Slippery Jack wrote:

The question asked was:

Look Adrian, I don't want to be pedantic, but I think that you will find that the ATR72 MkIII does in fact have a dog flap directly adjacent to the luggage access port. However, one of the issues with the MkIII dog flap was the ability of the larger variants to get through from the hold into the passenger cabin, where it could find a resting crew member and get straight onto his/her lap. Hope that helps.

I believe they are going to address that issue when the MkIV dog flap comes out.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:17 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:When I was working as a flight attendant on the ATR72, a dog escaped from the cargo hold and ran into the cabin. As I was sitting on the FWD crewseat, the dog jumped on my lap. :lol:

LOL
A dog escapes from the forward cargo hold and accesses the cabin on a ATR. What did he use, the doggie door between the hold and the cabin – not.

There's just a curtain and a harness between the AFT cargo hold and the cabin. And they don't always close properly.

teamoperu, you only flew as as passenger and not as a crewmember so I understand that some things and aircraft jargón are difficult to understand for you.

Photo looking aft on a ATR... crew seat in back and no curtains on this one and I guess before they installed the doggie door under stewardess' seat:
Attachments
TR facing aft.jpg
TR facing aft.jpg (123.69 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Good evening. It would be nice to get this topic back on track please. We are fully aware certain people have a vivid imagination and I think we all agree it is not just one person. This aside It does not serve any useful purpose to malign individuals. If there is an issue with any of the posts, it is a simple process to report it and we will react to the report. If there is miss information there is absolutely "every reason" to question it in a civil way. A healthy debate is good for the soul.
I am now off for my Pint of Bitter, Roast Beef and Yorkshire with loads of Bisto, followed by Monday nights Corrie.
(The Brits will explain.)
Mods over and out.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Good evening. It would be nice to get this topic back on track please. We are fully aware certain people have a vivid imagination and I think we all agree it is not just one person. This aside It does not serve any useful purpose to malign individuals. If there is an issue with any of the posts, it is a simple process to report it and we will react to the report. If there is miss information there is absolutely "every reason" to question it in a civil way. A healthy debate is good for the soul.
I am now off for my Pint of Bitter, Roast Beef and Yorkshire with loads of Bisto, followed by Monday nights Corrie.
(The Brits will explain.)
Mods over and out.

Gave up Corrie years ago, but I'll swap you some Colman's mustard powder for some Bisto. :lol:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Sorry panman I only have the one box left and it needs to last until the new year. I am now getting low on most things such as OXO, Bisto, Atora suet, Marmite, PG Tips, Paxo, but I still have a couple of packets of Colmans French and English. I brought back two large blocks of Cathedral Vintage cheddar last time, including a two day delay in Amsterdam. It survived the flight and froze well. Just a suggestion.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:45 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Sorry panman I only have the one box left and it needs to last until the new year. I am now getting low on most things such as OXO, Bisto, Atora suet, Marmite, PG Tips, Paxo, but I still have a couple of packets of Colmans French and English. I brought back two large blocks of Cathedral Vintage cheddar last time, including a two day delay in Amsterdam. It survived the flight and froze well. Just a suggestion.

Bringing back cheese reminds me of a time I was visiting a relative in the US.
Immigration asked me the usual crazy questions, including. Are you carrying, amongst other things, any raw food stuffs, or explosives. I had to bite my lip and not confess to the fact that I had 2 Lancashire bombs in my suitcase. :lol:
http://www.lancashirebombs.co.uk/
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am

Another thread used as a 'chat room' for non-related issues.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Timothy Thank you for mentioning the conduct of contributors. You would normally be correct , but within the conversation forum, a certain amount of flexibility exists as long as it is not detrimental or offensive. I suggest if there is any posting, which you feel is an infringement I would encourage you to please file a report and it will be investigated as a matter of urgency.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 am

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:07 am

MrEd wrote:Not detrimental or offensive. Could you define that? I mean panman states, "US Immigration asked me the usual crazy questions" isn't that detrimental to the Government of the United States Of America? As an American I find it very offensive.

I guess anyone here with an education could have found very offensive your statement that they are brainwashed and indoctrinated, but I haven't seen anyone whining about being very offended. I don't think anyone takes you seriously, MreD.
MrEd wrote:Go to college to be well rounded? College is where you go to be indoctrinated and brain washed into good little bleeding heart liberals.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:50 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Timothy Thank you for mentioning the conduct of contributors. You would normally be correct , but within the conversation forum, a certain amount of flexibility exists as long as it is not detrimental or offensive. I suggest if there is any posting, which you feel is an infringement I would encourage you to please file a report and it will be investigated as a matter of urgency.

It is not the conduct of the members that I comment about, it's the inconsideration towards the original author of the thread. Ok, point taken regarding 'The Conversation Forum', but this happens in all of the forums.

Perhaps you are the most active Moderator, and if so, I wish the others would follow your lead.

And to the author of this thread, sorry for the diversion.

And good luck with your pet !
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:03 am

MrEd wrote:Thank you Ironchefchris for taking the time to respond but I should have been more clear. My question was not directed at you nor are you qualified to answer.

You see there are a number of entries in this thread, alone, as this thread is not the only one example. Entries from the moderator stepping in and letting a poster know he is not in the bounds where "a certain amount of flexibility exists as long as it is not detrimental or offensive".
Obviously many of us have different iterpretations of those bounds. We need a definition.
You make the perfact case. I find Panmans statement offensive. I can completly understand someone who is not an American or has no respect for countries and laws would not find that offensive.
No problem.

?
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:20 pm

MrEd wrote:Not detrimental or offensive. Could you define that? I mean panman states, "US Immigration asked me the usual crazy questions" isn't that detrimental to the Government of the United States Of America? As an American I find it very offensive.

As an American citizen you will not have had the need to either stand in line and answer questions at the immigration desk or fill in a DS-160 visa application form, if you had then you might understand what I mean by crazy questions, things like:
Are you a member of a terrorist organization?
Have you ever been involved with torturing someone?
Are you coming to the US to engage in prostitution?
Have you ever been involved with human trafficking?
Do you plan to engage in espionage activities while in the US?
Who on earth is going to answer yes to any of these questions?
As an honest, law abiding British citizen, I could easily take offense at being asked such ridiculous questions, but as I also have a great sense of humour (that would be humor for the American readers.) I prefer to just have a laugh. :lol: :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:28 pm

panman wrote:As an American citizen you will not have had the need to either stand in line and answer questions at the immigration desk or fill in a DS-160 visa application form, if you had then you might understand what I mean by crazy questions, things like:
As an honest, law abiding British citizen, I could easily take offense at being asked such ridiculous questions, but as I also have a great sense of humour (that would be humor for the American readers.) I prefer to just have a laugh. :lol: :lol:

panman, it must have been a long time ago that you travelled to the US since years ago, you no longer have to fill out the green immigration form and answer those questions stated on it.
Nowadays, you apply for ESTA on line and answer the above questions on the ESTA application but upon arrival you no longer have to fill out an immigration form. Just the usual form for customs.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:As an American citizen you will not have had the need to either stand in line and answer questions at the immigration desk or fill in a DS-160 visa application form, if you had then you might understand what I mean by crazy questions, things like:

panman, it must have been a long time ago that you travelled to the US since years ago, you no longer have to fill out the green immigration form and answer those questions stated on it.
Nowadays, you apply for ESTA on line and answer the above questions on the ESTA application but upon arrival you no longer have to fill out an immigration form. Just the usual form for customs.

WiKi: The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is a United States government requirement (mandated by the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007) for participating travelers from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries. ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Authorization via ESTA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival. The ESTA application collects biographic information and answers to VWP eligibility questions. ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, though it is recommended that travelers apply as soon as they begin preparing travel plans or prior to purchasing airline tickets.

ESTA is not needed when arriving by land from Canada or Mexico.[1] Passengers (including babies) without an ESTA may be denied check in, although it is possible to get one while at the airport.[2] Since 2010 the payment of US$14 is required to obtain the ESTA.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:07 am

To avoid any further protracted debate I have locked this thread.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register