What are you eating for Christmas dinner?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

What are you eating for Christmas dinner?

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am

We'll be eating at home as restaurants are overcrowded and prices beefed up.

My menú:

Salad with avocado, blue cheese and walnuts.

Grilled salmon fillet with green asparagues, bearnaise sauce and rice.

Flan with red fruit.

All washed down with a bottle of 'Casillero Del Diablo'. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What are you eating for Christmas dinner?

Postby street legal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:22 am

chi chi wrote:We'll be eating at home as restaurants are overcrowded and prices beefed up.

My menú:

Flan with red fruit.

All washed down with a bottle of 'Casillero Del Diablo'. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sounds like a good healthy choice vs. some overpriced restaurant meal that may or may not be that good.
I might have something similar.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 am

i'll probably make a turkey again, although "pavo criollo" this time as nobody liked the way i made it last year with stuffing and gravy :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Here goes. Catering for approximately 25 people and prepared by myself and Brother in law.
1/ stuffed Avocado
2/ Roast Turkey, Roast Pork, Herb or Chestnut stuffing, Roast Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peas, Apple sauce, Bisto Gravy, Cranberry sauce and Chocolate sauce for our Peruvian friends .
3/ Christmas Pudding, Steam (Duff) Suit Pudding, Custard and cream
4/ coffee and buscuits.

A few bottles of Chardonnay, Merlot and of course the expected Tacarme Rose.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:16 pm

chi chi wrote:We'll be eating at home as restaurants are overcrowded and prices beefed up.

My menú:

Flan with red fruit.

I thought this year, as a ski resort chef, you'd be busy preparing overpriced food, in an overcrowded restaurant. :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:45 am

panman wrote:I thought this year, as a ski resort chef, you'd be busy preparing overpriced food, in an overcrowded restaurant. :lol:

I pulled out, they didn't want to give my gf a job as she doesn't have a work visa. At least she found a job in a Peruvian company here in Spain who doesn't give a hoot about visas.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 am

Speaking of turkey stuffing - Anybody seen sage - salvia - around Lima lately? And of course I'd be willing to pay a huge premium for fresh cranberries (!) but knowing how (un)likely that is, I'll settle for the sage. Seems like my friends and I have tried every store in town already, but in case anyone spots some ...
Loving Living in Lima
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:19 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Speaking of turkey stuffing - Anybody seen sage - salvia - around Lima lately? And of course I'd be willing to pay a huge premium for fresh cranberries (!) but knowing how (un)likely that is, I'll settle for the sage. Seems like my friends and I have tried every store in town already, but in case anyone spots some ...

You can buy fresh sage in little pots in the gardening market on Panamericana with Benavides ...I bought it there for a Italian friend.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:59 am

edgeclinger wrote:Speaking of turkey stuffing - Anybody seen sage - salvia - around Lima lately? And of course I'd be willing to pay a huge premium for fresh cranberries (!) but knowing how (un)likely that is, I'll settle for the sage. Seems like my friends and I have tried every store in town already, but in case anyone spots some ...

Eating what? The traditional on the 24th... with champagne! Brought a can of cranberry sauce from last trip home, not fresh but never did fresh at home either. Really, we should get our act together and arrange when one of us has a trip near Christmas to bring a load for everyone? I should have thought of that.

There is salvia available here in the mercado in Piura, a little far for you to come.

Does everyone do the meal on the 24th or the 25th?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:39 am

teamoperu wrote: Really, we should get our act together and arrange when one of us has a trip near Christmas to bring a load for everyone? I should have thought of that.

i was thinking of bringing some canned cranberries as well, but decided not to because of weight restrictions with Lan. instead, i brought some flour tortillas and corn tostadas :D
btw, we eat on the 25th
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:49 am

Starter: Floor polish
Main course: Rum
Dessert: Cooking sherry
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:47 pm

i just bought sage in the 4 gr. pack at Metro (ave. Canada) for 2.90 soles
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Why on earth would someone supposedly living in Spain, be drinking a bottle of Chilean wine for Christmas. Some of the worlds best red wines come from Spain and many are reasonably priced locally. Many of the original Chilean grape varieties were cultivated from cuttings brought to Chile from Spain originally.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:43 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Why on earth would someone supposedly living in Spain, be drinking a bottle of Chilean wine for Christmas. Some of the worlds best red wines come from Spain and many are reasonably priced locally. Many of the original Chilean grape varieties were cultivated from cuttings brought to Chile from Spain originally.

Casillero Del Diablo is my favourite wine. Every year, I buy a bottle for Christmas. For the rest of the year, I drink the Spanish wine. Great wines. I found great bottles for between 1 and 2 euros.

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of 'San Isidro' for 1.60 euros.

Is someone else here preparing something else than the old fashioned turkey dinner.

I think that turkey was used to be a treat that people exclusively eat for Christmas dinner but nowadays people also eat a turkey roll for a midweek lunch at the staff canteen or they grab a turkey sándwich at the gasstation on their way to work.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:50 pm

chi chi wrote:
TonyLeslie wrote:Why on earth would someone supposedly living in Spain, be drinking a bottle of Chilean wine for Christmas. Some of the worlds best red wines come from Spain and many are reasonably priced locally. Many of the original Chilean grape varieties were cultivated from cuttings brought to Chile from Spain originally.

Casillero Del Diablo is my favourite wine. Every year, I buy a bottle for Christmas. For the rest of the year, I drink the Spanish wine. Great wines. I found great bottles for between 1 and 2 euros.

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of 'San Isidro' for 1.60 euros.

“For the rest of the year, I drink the Spanish wine. Great wines. I found great bottles for between 1 and 2 euros.”

Sad for you that you have to drink such cheap wines. Lets hope in the coming year things will change for you and you'll be able to enjoy some better wines and an improved life.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:18 pm

chi chi wrote:. I found great bottles for between 1 and 2 euros.

I think thats hard to believe...or "good" wine in your eyes is something like Don Simon :lol:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Guiri wrote:

I think thats hard to believe...or "good" wine in your eyes is something like Don Simon :lol:

Probably both.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Guiri wrote:

I don't know about Spain, but France without doubt you can easily get good wine for 1 or 2 euros.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:06 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:
Guiri wrote:

I don't know about Spain, but France without doubt you can easily get good wine for 1 or 2 euros.

Wine is cheap in France but apart from that France is far more expensive than Spain.

That bottle of San Isidro I drunk a couple of days ago was delicious.
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby street legal » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:57 pm

We wound up having pineapple chicken and rice with a bottle of sweet wine from Tacama.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:00 pm

chi chi wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:
Guiri wrote:

Wine is cheap in France but apart from that France is far more expensive than Spain.

That bottle of San Isidro I drunk a couple of days ago was delicious.

And think positive, next year if you get things in gear you might be able to enjoy even a more delicious wine like some of us get to do regularly.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:27 pm

street legal wrote:We wound up having pineapple chicken and rice with a bottle of sweet wine from Tacama.

Sounds delicious.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register