Any stores in Lima that sell reptiles?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any stores in Lima that sell reptiles?

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:16 pm

I have kept little snakes and lizards since I was a kid. Now that I live in Lima I never see them for sale anywhere. Has anyone seen any reptiles for sale in any pet stores? Snakes, bearded dragons, geckos, chameleons, etc.?

And if not, why do you think that is? Most pet stores in the US sell a few reptiles, and most decent sized cities even have reptile-only stores. Why not here?

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Any stores in Lima that sell reptiles?

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:12 am

Go to Tarapoto and you can catch reptiles for free.

There are loads of snakes and other reptiles. They often enter my home.
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby street legal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:27 am

I've never seen any stores that sell reptiles either.
Might be a good business to start.
But I agree with chi chi, why buy when you can catch some for free.
Never understood peoples fear of reptiles, they are a good & natural rodent/pest control.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the logic of the argument. Places like Florida, which have them everywhere in the wild, still have dozens of reptile stores and hundreds more pet stores which sell them. And dogs and cats run around all over Lima but you can still find them for sale at any pet shop. The fact that reptiles could be caught hundreds of kilometers away doesn't seem like a convincing reason for why they are not for sale anywhere on the coast.

I'm guessing there are just some Peruvian laws which make it tricky to import them and/or remove them from the wild to sell. Or maybe it is truly a market niche that hasn't yet been filled.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:50 pm

I would not want a reptile as a pet. A friend of mine had one, and her kid was constantly sick with flu like symptoms. Did not know why until one doctor asked her if her son had a Lizard or snake as a pet. Well that was solved quickly and the sickness vanished.

According to the American Pet Products Association 2011/2012 National Pet Owners Survey, about 4.6 percent of U.S. homes house a reptile. You may like turtles, snakes, and lizards, but you should handle them with care. The CDC says reptiles infect about 70,000 people a year with the bacteria salmonella. In humans, salmonella can cause severe gastroenteritis and sepsis. Reptiles also can carry Edwardsiella tarda and Plesiomonas shigelloides, both of which also cause gastroenteritis in humans. Snakes can be carriers of Aeromonas shigelloides, a wormlike parasite, and Armillifer, a wormlike arthropod parasite, both of which can become parasites of humans.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Dave wrote:And dogs and cats run around all over Lima but you can still find them for sale at any pet shop.

They are for sure special breeds and only people that live in the nicer áreas of Lima buy dogs at stores.

Dogs and cats are breeding all the time in Peru and people just donate them.

I often had children knocking my door and asked if I wanted to adopt a puppy or a cat. They say that they would prefer that I adopt them as my house looks nice and clean. They said that they assume that people who have a nice and clean house then they will also look well after their pets.

We adopted a black cat.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Not sure how going to Tarapoto to get a free reptile is good advice. Even why the poster just doesn't catch a reptile from his home, since he has so many there, and give it to you? Just an aside.

There may be reptile stores in your home country. But Peru isn't your home country. Nor do some want it to become the same. Peruvians are ace at making a few soles in any niche market so if it was in the culture to have reptiles as pets for sure there would be lots of stores.

Actually, probably is. Check out Jiron Ayachuco at the edge of Mesa Rodunda, a whole street of pet stores with various creepy and not so creepy animals. And if you do not see what you want then just ask and surely the owner would find one for you. Peruvians are ace at making a few soles.

But think outside the box. Why a store? This is Peru. Not everything is sold only in stores. Since Peruvians are ace at making a few soles why not just ask around the neighbourhood and the kids will find a lizard for you? Even if you have something specific in mind.

Reminds me of the gringo biologist who came to Peru years ago for samples of new insects. No, he didn't wander the forest with a net himself. He just told the kids and they collected them for him for a few bucks.

But I am your side, I loved my reptile I had as a kid, wishing you luck to find what you want.
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby street legal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:46 pm

captcosmic wrote:I would not want a reptile as a pet. A friend of mine had one, and her kid was constantly sick with flu like symptoms. Did not know why until one doctor asked her if her son had a Lizard or snake as a pet. Well that was solved quickly and the sickness vanished.

According to the American Pet Products Association 2011/2012 National Pet Owners Survey, about 4.6 percent of U.S. homes house a reptile. You may like turtles, snakes, and lizards, but you should handle them with care. The CDC says reptiles infect about 70,000 people a year with the bacteria salmonella. In humans, salmonella can cause severe gastroenteritis and sepsis. Reptiles also can carry Edwardsiella tarda and Plesiomonas shigelloides, both of which also cause gastroenteritis in humans. Snakes can be carriers of Aeromonas shigelloides, a wormlike parasite, and Armillifer, a wormlike arthropod parasite, both of which can become parasites of humans.

You can get sick from dogs and cats, too.
How about when they lick their butts then lick you in the mouth?
Pretty gross.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:18 pm

teamoperu wrote:Peruvians are ace at making a few soles in any niche market so if it was in the culture to have reptiles as pets for sure there would be lots of stores.
It's kind of chicken and egg isn't it? There could be demand already (even by some who don't yet realize it) but just no means to exercise it.

teamoperu wrote:But Peru isn't your home country. Nor do some want it to become the same.
I find it hard to imagine there could be much patriotic resistance to a few reptiles being added to the inventory of the local pet store, but what do I know.

teamoperu wrote:Actually, probably is. Check out Jiron Ayachuco at the edge of Mesa Rodunda, a whole street of pet stores with various creepy and not so creepy animals.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out and report back in case anyone else is interested.

teamoperu wrote:Since Peruvians are ace at making a few soles why not just ask around the neighbourhood and the kids will find a lizard for you? Even if you have something specific in mind.
I've never seen any reptile or amphibian, of any species, in the wild in Lima. Which is surprising considering many should be able to thrive here. If anyone has seen any please let me know when and where.

street legal wrote:You can get sick from dogs and cats, too.
Beyond that a dog can do far more damage with its teeth than a little (non-venomous) snake or lizard can with its tiny teeth. Not that I have anything against dogs, because I love dogs. Just sayin.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Reptiles are popular in Peru and the address recommended by Teamoperu is a place where there are many sellers of all sorts, including some rare breeds. When I last visited about five years ago they had quite a few monkeys of all shapes and sizes. We had an Iguana, that had grown over a metre in length and although he spent most of his time in the garden during the Summer, he hibernated during the winter and only woke up now and then to feed. She did have a habit of climbing on the sofa and tore it to shreds. My wife´s sister bathed the animal once a week and it loved it. Came when called and got on really well with the dog, a boxer we had at the time. In the end we donated her to friends who own The Restaurant Kusina and have an animal corner in the grounds. The iguana never smelt and am sure we did not contract anything from her, but I must admit I never saw her licking her bottom. We now stick to dogs.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:17 pm

It's sad to see that people keep reptiles in often small cages in their home.

Those animals belong in the wild.
If you like to see reptiles then go to la selva. There are many of them but leave them there.

The same with birds. People keep them in cages. They should be free in the wild.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:26 pm

chi chi wrote:It's sad to see that people keep reptiles in often small cages in their home.

If you like to see reptiles then go to la selva. There are many of them but leave them there.

The same with birds. People keep them in cages. They should be free in the wild.

That is not what the OP asked... or are you just stirring things up for fun?

Yes OP, report back if you can find what you want (or if they can get what you want) at Jiron Ayacucho please.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:32 pm

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:It's sad to see that people keep reptiles in often small cages in their home.

That is not what the OP asked... or are you just stirring things up for fun?

If you have a huge garden where those animals can roam around freely then it's fine.

Many reptiles sleep during the day and are active at nighttime. Most people sleep at night so it contradicts the lifestyle of many reptiles.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:44 pm

As I said in my post our Iguana had total freedom. Climbed the trees and could have packed her bags and left at any time. I have known people, especially the elderly and children that have a special bond with say a canary. This can mean a lot to them. I also quote you:

chi chi wrote:Go to Tarapoto and you can catch reptiles for free.

There are loads of snakes and other reptiles. They often enter my home.

Can I please ask you to stay on the topic. None of your posts have any relevance to Mascota stores in Peru.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Dave wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Peruvians are ace at making a few soles in any niche market so if it was in the culture to have reptiles as pets for sure there would be lots of stores.
It's kind of chicken and egg isn't it? There could be demand already (even by some who don't yet realize it) but just no means to exercise it.

I have seen pet stores that sell dogs, cats and birds. If there was a market for reptiles then they would sell that as well.

Peruvians have tried out everything to make money. So if something isn't there then it's because it doesn't work out.

There's a guy in Tarapoto who sells big turtles but the prices are very cheap.

I don't think that it will be easy to make money with selling reptiles in Lima. Especially if you have to rent a shop.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:03 pm

chi chi wrote:
Many reptiles sleep during the day and are active at nighttime. Most people sleep at night so it contradicts the lifestyle of many reptiles.

Reptiles are cold blooded hence most are active during the day.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 am

Last time I was in Lima I went to the piano bar at the Hotel Sheraton in the old center of the city.

There were three or four dinosaurs lurking in the shadows. I think you could rent them, but they were not for sale. Those reptilias frightened me, so after 3 piscos I slid out the back door and flagged down a taxi.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:12 pm

street legal wrote:
captcosmic wrote:I would not want a reptile as a pet. A friend of mine had one, and her kid was constantly sick with flu like symptoms. Did not know why until one doctor asked her if her son had a Lizard or snake as a pet. Well that was solved quickly and the sickness vanished.

You can get sick from dogs and cats, too.
How about when they lick their butts then lick you in the mouth?
Pretty gross.

I was just refereeing to the fact that most people do not know that just HANDLING reptiles can make you sick. Probably not going to happen with petting your dog or cat. Unless you are pregnant and are around the liter box for your cat. But that is not handling them.
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby street legal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:19 pm

I once petted a dog that had rabies.
One daily injection in the gut for 3 weeks.
Another time I got cat scratch fever after getting clawed by a cat with feces under its claws.
Bottom line all animals can be dangerous.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register