Plastic bags

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Plastic bags

Postby teamoperu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:12 am

So in the desert of the north, not much degrades. We already have shrubs fully adorned with plastic bags. They will be there forever. Used to be mostly black. Now, horrors, lime green! To add to yellow, blue, red white, striped ones, you name it. Looks like Christmas trees all year long. Forever to be hanging on the roadside shrubs.

So Wong says their bags are biodegradable? Not in the desert!

P1020670 - Copy.JPG
P1020670 - Copy.JPG (61.96 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Plastic bags

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:11 am

When you go to a supermarket in Peru then you get a lot of carrier bags.
If I go to La Inmaculada in Tarapoto and buy 5 different ítems then I often get 5 bags.

Those bags are a big source of contamination of the environment.

That's why in Europe, supermarkets have to charge customers for those bags.

Everything is biodegradable but some things take a bit longer than others:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... _2507.html
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 am

A Peruvian, Dr. Fernando G. Torres who is a mechanical engineering professor at Universidad Católica del Perú has a personal project of using microbes to produce biopolymers. His plastic, when placed in a trash dump, degrades in a few years instead of the 200 years for the currently used polymers. He is academically speaking, a very impressive man....
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 am

The only place you can ask for biodegradable bags is Wong.....sad enough they do not have them all the time :(
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 am

The only way to reduce the amount of plastic bags is charging customers for it.

Even charging a few cents for a bag will customers make using reusable bags or stuff more items in one bag.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:22 pm

teamoperu wrote:So in the desert of the north, not much degrades. We already have shrubs fully adorned with plastic bags. They will be there forever. Used to be mostly black. Now, horrors, lime green! To add to yellow, blue, red white, striped ones, you name it. Looks like Christmas trees all year long. Forever to be hanging on the roadside shrubs.

So Wong says their bags are biodegradable? Not in the desert!

i remember you bringing up a topic similar to this around Christmas time. saying that the shrubs were decorated with plastic bags :lol:
i'm trying to decide which is worse, organic or inorganic waste that's thrown about. organic brings diseases, while inorganic takes time to decompose.
as chi chi said, maybe charge for the bags like they do in Los Angeles. when i buy something at the bodega, they automatically put it in a plastic bag, even if it's a bag of milk.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Where I lived for a while in the states they'd give you a funny look at the check out line if you didn't bring your own bags no matter how many groceries you had. Here I find I get funny looks if I tell them I don't need a bag for a pack of gum. I like the idea of charging people for bags as well. Those who don't want to pay would quickly adapt and start bringing their own bags, just like how I notice some people bring their own containers to restaurants when they get something to go so they don't have to pay for the to go container.
charliebee

Postby charliebee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Where I lived for a while in the states they'd give you a funny look at the check out line if you didn't bring your own bags no matter how many groceries you had. Here I find I get funny looks if I tell them I don't need a bag for a pack of gum. I like the idea of charging people for bags as well. Those who don't want to pay would quickly adapt and start bringing their own bags, just like how I notice some people bring their own containers to restaurants when they get something to go so they don't have to pay for the to go container.

Must have been one of those liberal eco green friendly states you were living in.
They look down upon those ignorant plastic bag users with scorn.
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:17 pm

As George Carlin points out, the planet doesn't have a problem.......

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/251836- ... g-now-save
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Or, as Doug Stanhope points out 'No f**ck*** in the front hole'. It's environmentally unfriendly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCtJ1_2Sf-s
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:55 pm

MAKRO in Peru is doing the right thing.

They don't give plastic bags and they don't even sell them.

You have to bring your own bags and if you don't have one, you buy one of those reusable ones.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 pm

charliebee wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:Where I lived for a while in the states they'd give you a funny look at the check out line if you didn't bring your own bags no matter how many groceries you had. Here I find I get funny looks if I tell them I don't need a bag for a pack of gum. I like the idea of charging people for bags as well. Those who don't want to pay would quickly adapt and start bringing their own bags, just like how I notice some people bring their own containers to restaurants when they get something to go so they don't have to pay for the to go container.

Must have been one of those liberal eco green friendly states you were living in.
They look down upon those ignorant plastic bag users with scorn.

I reside in one of those "liberal eco green friendly states. In California, there is a pending state law banning the use of plastic bags. In the county where I live in California, there is already a ban on plastic bags in place for almost a year. No plastic at all is provided. Customers can purchase paper bags at 10 cents a pop. So, as several others have posted, if stores start charging for either paper or reuseable bags, people will start changing their ways, which is a good thing. I'm appalled at the number of plastic bags that are used at grocery stores here in Peru, sometimes one big for each item.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register