Corn Syrup and Vanilla for Baking

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Corn Syrup and Vanilla for Baking

Postby clewis564 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Hello, I wanted to a make a couple southern U.S. desserts for people to try here. I haven't seen corn syrup or vanilla that the recipes need. If anyone know where I could buy these items that would be great. I've look at Wong, Metro and Vivana. I've noticed these place don't have pharmacy aisles like in the US. either with over the counter drugs.

Thanks,

RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Corn Syrup and Vanilla for Baking

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:43 am

The restaurant Francescos on the malecon serves a most delicious pecan pie. It is identical to the southern pecan pie except that they place some slivers of apple inside it which I believe is an improvement by displacing some of the corn syrup. My point is that corn syrup must be available in Lima or at least a very close substitute.
jackielu

Postby jackielu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Don't know where you live, but there is a store called Hong Kong Market at Minka in Callao. I have seen light corn syrup there several times. They actually have quite a few products from the U.S. Minka is located on Argentina, maybe two miles from its intersection with Faucett. I think they have a web page.
Hope this helps!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Isn't jarabe de goma (to make pisco sour) not similar ? And vanille extract you can buy in any bodega for 1 sol.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:25 pm

fanning wrote:Isn't jarabe de goma (to make pisco sour) not similar ? And vanille extract you can buy in any bodega for 1 sol.

Jarabe de goma as used to make pisco sour is just sugar and water, simmered and reduced into "simple syrup" It's used for preparing drinks as nothing more than a sweetener because of its smooth texture.
Some of our reader might be interested in the fact that it is very easy, and cheap, to make at home and stores for a long time in the refrigerator, so any Day, Monday to Sunday it's at hand for a nice refreshing drink.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-syrup/
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:53 pm

If you have a problem getting Corn Syrup we have used this simple recipe:

Ingredients
14 ounces corn on the cob ( The corn is just there to impart flavour, so if it's a little bit over or a little bit under, it won't matter.)
5 1/4 cups water
2 pounds sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 vanilla bean

Instructions
Slice corn cobs into one-inch slices. Bring a medium-sized saucepan filled with the water and cut corn to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until water is reduced by half - about thirty minutes.Using a colander, strain out the corn, reserving the corn-flavoured water. Return the water to the saucepan and add the sugar and salt.Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add both the seeds and the pod to the saucepan.Turn heat to medium-low and stir until sugar is dissolved.Simmer until the mixture is thick enough to stick to the back of a spoon. About an hour. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Store in the refrigerator with the vanilla bean until ready to use.
When ready to use, if necessary, microwave with a touch of water and gently stir to remove the sugar crystals.
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby clewis564 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks
Nemoshark
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Nemoshark » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 am

You can buy corn syrup from Metro. I found it next to the chocolate ice cream topping syrups. The brand is called "La Cabana" (cabanya). It's called Glucomiel, jarobe de Maiz. It's a 500ml bottle for S/.23.40.
roadrunner2

Postby roadrunner2 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:20 am

adrian Thorne wrote:If you have a problem getting Corn Syrup we have used this simple recipe:

Ingredients
14 ounces corn on the cob ( The corn is just there to impart flavour, so if it's a little bit over or a little bit under, it won't matter.)
5 1/4 cups water
2 pounds sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 vanilla bean

Instructions
Slice corn cobs into one-inch slices. Bring a medium-sized saucepan filled with the water and cut corn to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until water is reduced by half - about thirty minutes.Using a colander, strain out the corn, reserving the corn-flavoured water. Return the water to the saucepan and add the sugar and salt.Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add both the seeds and the pod to the saucepan.Turn heat to medium-low and stir until sugar is dissolved.Simmer until the mixture is thick enough to stick to the back of a spoon. About an hour. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Store in the refrigerator with the vanilla bean until ready to use.
When ready to use, if necessary, microwave with a touch of water and gently stir to remove the sugar crystals.

Can choclo be used instead of regular corn?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:18 pm

roadrunner2 wrote:Can choclo be used instead of regular corn?

No reason not to, but it will be red instead of the normal golden colour and any baking will take on the colour. I have used in cakes for the kids and they love it.
roadrunner2

Postby roadrunner2 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
roadrunner2 wrote:Can choclo be used instead of regular corn?

No reason not to, but it will be red instead of the normal golden colour and any baking will take on the colour. I have used in cakes for the kids and they love it.

Ok, I was just thinking that choclo isn't as sweet as regular corn and might influence the flavor.
BTW, where did you find corn on the cob?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register