Cheap labor!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Followthesun

Cheap labor!

Postby Followthesun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am

It does not take long in Peru to realize that unskilled labor - is very cheap.
In having a business/pleasure 2 hour meeting the other day, I witnessed a real gem!
One guy was painting a yellow warning strip in front of a school with a 3 inch roller brush.
The strip was 20 feet long and 2 feet wide. He started just as I arrived and was not finished when I left!
Now of course the person had to take numerous breaks, this is strenuous work.
I appreciate the laid-back attitude in Peru, but the entire time traffic had to be re-routed.
Where can I apply for these type of jobs? Any gems you would like to share?

Thanks

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cheap labor!

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 am

Try the Municipality.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:31 am

Please do not assume all Peruvians are the same. I agree labour is cheap, but I have witnessed men who pick up a 14lb lump hammer, start breaking concrete at 8.00am and do not put it down until lunch at 12.00am. At 12.30pm pick it up again and do not stop breaking concrete until 5.00pm. I would have lasted 30 minutes doing the same thing and generally being very little people I am amazed, in the heat, how hard they work.
The other day I had two men dig an 8 cubic metre hole in my garden. It took four hours with a shovel and pickaxe. Straight sided 2m x 2m x 2m deep. Cost S/ 100
Time keeping and commitment to work is awful, but get a person on the job and they will work like slaves, with very little rest and very little pay
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 am

Yes, I am sure there are exceptions (I would like to have contact numbers for those guys) ... but I find that , generally, getting them to show up the first time to start the job or on time throughout the job has to be something along the equivalent to finding a unicorn or sasquatch or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

My favorite is when they quote you a price, show up a day or two late -without contacting you - and then want to raise the price from their original quote ... classic.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Being on time is highly over-rated.
It is also stressful.
Especially with crazy traffic.
It will be a northern cultural artifact one day.

Working like a dog is highly over-rated.
It is also stressful.
Especially when there are better things to do in life.
Stop and smell the roses.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:42 pm

teamoperu wrote:Being on time is highly over-rated.
It is also stressful.
Especially with crazy traffic.
It will be a northern cultural artifact one day.

Working like a dog is highly over-rated.
It is also stressful.
Especially when there are better things to do in life.
Stop and smell the roses.

That's fine .... and traffic I can understand, a half hour, maybe even an hour, but 3 or 4 hours? And don't take a job and don't tell people you will be there at a specific time if it is all just to stressful....simple enough., no? and then you can smell your roses all day long and not waste anyone else's time.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:59 pm

MarcoPE wrote:That's fine .... and traffic I can understand, a half hour, maybe even an hour, but 3 or 4 hours? And don't take a job and don't tell people you will be there at a specific time if it is all just to stressful....simple enough., no?

3 to 4 hours late isn't that bad.

When I worked for Caledonian Airways, we often showed up more that 24 hour late with our old Lockheed Martins 1011 or DC10's. Those poor passengers were all waiting at the airport and the only things the could see on the departure screens is 'delayed' but our handling agent couldn't give them a reason or say how long delay would be.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/touri ... 37011.html
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:04 pm

see...and I thought there was nothing you and teamo would ever agree on .... turns out it's work ethic, whoda thunk. :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm

It depends on who needs who more.
Just leave if he needs you more than you need him.
Handymen worldwide are notorious for being late or different day, they are juggling contracts.
You waiting 3-4 hours for them just means you need them more than they need you.

And... depends on who is more important. Paris Hilton is never on time.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 pm

In no way am I implying that Peruvians are lazy.
This was a situation where the wrong sized tool for the job was being utilized.
I have done my share of manual labor and enjoyed it.

Thanks
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:The other day I had two men dig an 8 cubic metre hole in my garden. It took four hours with a shovel and pickaxe. Straight sided 2m x 2m x 2m deep. Cost S/ 100

you've probably heard the phrase "money talks, b.s. walks". in your case, you paid them more than typical wages, and that's just labor. if you would have offered them half, i doubt they would have shown up. have you seen the guys that throw brick up to the guy on the roof of a house? :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am

Yes!
The other day I saw one person throwing bricks thru a third story - window - to a fellow worker.
The window opening was some 18 inches at best, with glass on both sides.
The truck was full with enough bricks for several hours of this exchange.
Wow!

Thanks
barry james

Postby barry james » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:34 pm

There is an expression

" When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys "

If you want a builder that turns up on time, get in touch with Bar the Builder, you can find us on F-Book. We provide remodel, repair and construction services to all expats living in Peru.

We are qualified tradesmen from the USA and Europe.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 am

barry james wrote:There is an expression

" When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys "

If you want a builder that turns up on time, get in touch with Bar the Builder, you can find us on F-Book. We provide remodel, repair and construction services to all expats living in Peru.

We are qualified tradesmen from the USA and Europe.

Barry I believe you are well placed to provide a good service, but alas if you do not respond to enquiries i.e. Services section in this forum you will have little hope.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:00 am

Adrian,

Yes, I agree with you partially.
Barry is starting a new business and aggressively advertising his services.
He could talk about using wood from his professional expertise - which would be good info for all.
I have contacted him and we will talk.

Thanks

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register