Coffee Thread - 2015

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coffee Thread - 2015

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 pm

jacqueson wrote:i think i should make another thread specifically about coffee :3

Thought I'd take you up on the suggestion as there hasn't been much coffee talk around here lately compared to a year or so ago when it was a regular topic of conversation.

Currently I'm using a Moka pot. I think it's a three-cup version, but I'm not sure as my idea of a cup is probably a bit different than most. I like it strong. 25 g of ground coffee yields about 200-225 ml (around 7 oz) of concentrate which I use to make 2 or 3 Café Americano's. Sometimes I'll mix the concentrate with soy milk (yield 2). On average, I go through a 1/4 kilo of Café Valenzuela (the best local coffee company) export quality beans every 7-10 days. For now I've got about a S/. 1 per day habit. Far cheaper and better tasting than the equivalent at Charbucks.

After reading how jacqueson is bringing his Aeropress from the Phillipines I'm wondering if anyone knows of where to buy one in Peru. I've checked MercadoLibre, OLX, Linio, Saga, and Ripley - no luck. I'd rather purchase in Peru but they are available on ebay to ship here and there's a company that has a good deal on an Aeropress bundled with a reusable metal filter they make which allows the oils through that paper filters trap. Also planning on upgrading my grinder from a blade type to a burr type - probably a Hario Mini Mill.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coffee Thread - 2015

Postby caliguy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:52 pm

i've seen cafes in Lima using an aeropress during coffee tasting gatherings. undoubtedly an imported product.
you brought up a good point about the paper coffee filters trapping the oils. most of the new coffee makers now come with the stainless steel mesh screen. imo, the difference in taste is huge. just need to keep in mind that oils will go rancid, therefore, the screen needs to be cleaned regularly.
as for consumption: about 500 grams in 9-11 days. not just me, but when we get family/visitors over, i always ask if they would like a cup of joe and nobody says no :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:32 am

I'm happy with a French press I bought in Wong for 23 soles, reliable, simple, gives a good crema even on the cheaper brands like Cafetal. My hunch is that for better brands like Tunki, it's worth investing in something better, maybe the aeropress, or even a simple moka pot. It was certainly nice with the French press, but nothing spectacular, but there's a real art to getting the best out of a good coffee.

Haven't seen Café Valenzuela in Lima, but always keen to try something new. Can you get it in Lima?

I also keep hearing good things about the quality of the espresso on those Nespreso machines, but the price of the pods are not too far off going out for a decent coffee in a nice cafe, with waiter service and a few biscotti thrown in. And let's not even mention the initial investment in the nespresso machine. Might be worth thinking about if I ever find myself out in the sticks with no good cafes in walking distance.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:16 pm

A topic after my own heart. Comes directly after wine and beer. Have read a couple of interesting articles of late, which I will share with you. Boiled Greek Coffee has, after recent studies, been declared the best coffee you can drink to help your vascular system. Stronger than the normal coffee, but along with olives, is credited with giving the Greeks a lower rate of heart failures than just about the entire the rest of the world. I will have to try and search back to find the caffeine strength, because I cannot remember that bit. It has to be noted, that it is served straight black for best results and no sugar. From memory, I think no more than two in one day is suggested.

Sergio mentioned about the pods, which are becoming cheaper believe it or not, but the inventor of the pods, is now condemning them and wishes he had never invented them. I will put in at this point he has become an environmentalist. The reason is they are four layers of specific material that will not break down ever in landfill. Along with other similar materials, ie. plastic bags, they can be toxic to and deadly to various animal and fish species like dolphins if they are not desposed of properly.

I shall continue to read this thread with interest and possibly further comments.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:20 am

I looked up the Aeropress site and this is the distributor in Peru, they should be able to tell you where it can be purchased

ZANESCO
Phone: +51-985600422
Email: [email protected]
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:28 pm

A thousand thanks for the information. I'll check them out and hopefully the price including delivery isn't prohibitive compared to ordering direct.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:00 am

Wow! :D an actual coffee thread!

Whether it's a moka pot, or an aeropress, or a french press, I think that it will depend on personal preference and the type of bean used to get the most out of a certain type of bean.

I realized this when I tried brewing local robusta beans (since they were christmas gifts).

Type A local bean (from Batangas, for information purposes) was too bitter when done via french press, but was fine with an aeropress.

Type B local bean (from Cagayan, for information purposes) did not taste like coffee at all when using an aeropress, but had a mild coffee flavor when brewed with a french press.

Batangas Barako coffee is the more popular local variety. The other one I first heard of when we received the beans. Both were roasted like starbucks beans... dark and charred.

I prefer a light/medium roast, and "washed" before roasted. I do not know specifically the differences between washed and non-washed, but all the beans I tried that were labelled washed tasted way better than the ones that were not marked as such. I have to do a bit more research on this topic.

Sergio Bernales wrote:I also keep hearing good things about the quality of the espresso on those Nespreso machines

Just... no. Unless you compare it to the soluble type coffee... or unless you use cream and sugar... then it will taste like all other 3-in-1 sachets. Which is not bad if you're only after the sugar/caffeine fix. Economically, it is definitely not worth the money. Here in the PH or in HK, it's about $200-300 for the machine, and $1 for the coffee cups good for 1 shot or 1 cup. $100 can get you a baratza maestro plus burr grinder, or cheaper if you buy a manual hand cranked type, $30 for an aeropress, $20-30 for a coffee press, and $20-40 for 1kg of coffee beans of your choice, which would be equivalent to 125 nespresso/keurig cups.

On the flip side, it's always fun to simply press a button to get a cup of coffee.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:55 am

I am in awe about what you guys know about coffee!
So much to learn everyday. Thanks.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:20 pm

there are some things that we might not know, or fail to understand.

my other coffee lover friend, for one, totally disagrees with me that one of the beans i mentioned should only sit for about 15-20 seconds on the aeropress; he prefers to let it sit for about 3-5 minutes. i find the espresso shot too bitter if extraction takes longer than 25-30 seconds maximum.

coffee, like most things, is a very subjective topic.

they say ethiopian beans are the best, but i hate the bitter fruity (almost like eating lemon rinds, at least how i describe it) flavor in my coffee.

i do love south american coffee. guatemala is my favorite. colombia and brazil is my standard, go-to, bean variety. peru, honduras, and costa rica are my seasonal ones. :)

while my dad prefers his 3-in-1 mix. and my gramps his taster's choice.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Haven't seen Café Valenzuela in Lima, but always keen to try something new. Can you get it in Lima?

Picked up some coffee yesterday and the girl behind the counter told me Café Valenzuela is available in Lima only at the Plaza Vea in San Borja. Here's their web site (Flash player required) which gives an address of Delicias Arequipeñas, Av. Las Artes 442, San Borja. Not sure if that's the address for Plaza Vea or if it's available at both addresses.

http://www.cafevalenzuela.com.pe/

If you try some get the Tipo Exportacion as the Tipo Extra Superior has sugar added.

Here's a web page I came across that may be of interest to the true coffee geek or connoisseur.

http://www.cornerofthecafe.com/breaking ... ty-coffee/
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:59 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Haven't seen Café Valenzuela in Lima, but always keen to try something new. Can you get it in Lima?

Picked up some coffee yesterday and the girl behind the counter told me Café Valenzuela is available in Lima only at the Plaza Vea in San Borja. Here's their web site (Flash player required) which gives an address of Delicias Arequipeñas, Av. Las Artes 442, San Borja. Not sure if that's the address for Plaza Vea or if it's available at both addresses.

http://www.cafevalenzuela.com.pe/

If you try some get the Tipo Exportacion as the Tipo Extra Superior has sugar added.

Here's a web page I came across that may be of interest to the true coffee geek or connoisseur.

http://www.cornerofthecafe.com/breaking ... ty-coffee/

This is a great help! I always thought "cafetal" was the best so far, but I'll try this suggestion as soon as I get there. Do you have any idea where to get a relatively cheap coffee maker? My gf and I are quite fond of coffee, but I don't think we have talk about what we will do without it!

Thanks!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:07 pm

lolapls wrote:I always thought "cafetal" was the best so far, but I'll try this suggestion as soon as I get there. Do you have any idea where to get a relatively cheap coffee maker? My gf and I are quite fond of coffee, but I don't think we have talk about what we will do without it! Thanks!

Cafetal is the cheapest, but by no means whatsoever the best :shock: look in the neighborhood of 20-25 soles per 250 gr. bag for some good coffee. you can buy coffee makers at most department stores. i would suggest the permanent s.s. filter type. :D
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:05 pm

common coffee makers, these are cheap enough and widely available enough to give each a go. beans are cheap, should be half the price of starbucks coffee beans.

if no home grinder is available, only buy enough coffee to last you for a week, maximum. the taste of the coffee changes when ground in advance of brewing. websites say 30 minutes before it starts to go stale. i say 3 days. but a week should be okay for starters until a grinder can be bought.

any grinder should do if using drip/aeropress. for coarser grinds, a burr grinder makes all the difference. either way, you still get a cup of coffee, and quality is subjective.

drip coffee
- the old fashioned american coffee maker
- relatively cheap if you buy a brandless basic model that's cheap enough to throw away after a year or two (on/off switch only, nothing digital)
- some newer models have a plastic mesh filter without the need for paper filters
pros: easy to use, easy to clean
cons: cannot control water temperature, stale coffee on the machine impairs taste

french press
- doesn't require electricity
- requires a separate source of hot water
- a bitcch to clean, especially the metal mesh filter
- mesh filter replacements are cheap on ebay but costly elsewhere or impossible to find
- screw threading on plastic fasteners on the plunger assembly might wear out and the whole assembly goes right through.
*** mesh filters are $2-4 on ebay, while over here in the philippines it's $20 - same price for a new press.
pros: you control water temperature and brew time.
cons: cleaning cleaning cleaning. parts replacement too. needs a coarse grind so the coffee sludge is avoided.

moka pot/percolator
- doesn't require electricity
- requires an open flame
*** personally i haven't used a moka pot, but i have used a large old fashioned percolator
pros/cons: i am not sure. maybe ironchefchris can share his insights as i honestly have no idea :D but i have tasted coffee from a moka pot from my friend, and he made a very good cup of coffee
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 am

The moka pot is easy to use but I've read how others says it takes some practice to dial it in just so. It doesn't make the cleanest cup of coffee - there's some sludge at the bottom. I like it because it brews a concentrate which I can drink as a kind of faux espresso, or dilute with water to make an Americano. On coffee forums people talk of the temperature of the water at the beginning of the brewing process, wrapping the top part in a cold towel immediately afterwards, and other little nuances. The general consensus seems to be the Aeropress brews a more consistent cup and is easier to use. Looking forward to trying one out.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 pm

You guys worried about the coffee disease going around?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:58 pm

teamoperu wrote:You guys worried about the coffee disease going around?

:shock:

Just received a response from Zanesco, the Lima distributor for the Aeropress. US $74 for the Aeropress plus $20 for shipping to Arequipa. As much as I'd like to buy local, in this case it makes more sense to buy it from an international supplier for $32, or $42 with a metal S filter (usually $18) that gets the best reviews on many coffee forums. They charge $18 to ship to my door, so $60 total vs $94. In addition to the metal filter I'll save enough to buy a new burr grinder and have enough change left over for about a half kilo of coffee beans.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:39 pm

It's worth bearing in mind that almost all coffee grown in South America is Arabica, so that might affect your grind and how you brew it. I thought this was a fairly good article, although it's really just for machines and doesn't mention French presses or mocha pots. The Gaggia Baby Class looks great. It's a pity they don't let you trial these things to see if it's worth shelling out all those lukas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... hines.html

I agree about most pod coffee not being up to much, especially those for lattes or cappuccinos with added ingredients like dried milk, and although I dislike Nescafe and generally don't trust anything made by Nestle, reluctantly, I'd have to admit the espresso pod samples I've had in supermarkets and stores were very impressive, but as always with coffee, so much boils down to individual taste. However, their price and the environment damage they do makes it easy to dismiss them.

I like this old article in the Economist, but to get the best espresso, the coffee bar/lab at Illy in Trieste gets top marks. Perhaps I could put some air miles to good use.

http://www.economist.com/node/883770

Either that, or make your own machine. I love this scene in Breaking Bad. It's all about the quinic acid. You want just north of 48 mg per litre, Sumatran beans and you have to give credit to the quality of the grind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ83kt4a2-A
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Interesting articles. Those little espresso machines that work with the individually, proportioned packets sound more intricate than the average Krups machine. I don't blame you for not trusting Nestlé. I haven't since they started getting third world mothers hooked on baby formula, but their machine sounds good. Still wouldn't buy one, but that's me.

Up thread I posted a link to a page that discusses Gayle's 'Breaking Bad' coffee contraption. Apparently it's a bit more complicated than necessary, but a little research shows that a company in Japan, Hario, sells coffee syphons

Should I ever return to Italy, I need to make a pilgrimage to the caffe illy in Trieste mentioned in The Economist article.

image.jpg
image.jpg (27.23 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:05 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Interesting articles. Those little espresso machines that work with the individually, proportioned packets sound more intricate than the average Krups machine. I don't blame you for not trusting Nestlé. I haven't since they started getting third world mothers hooked on baby formula, but their machine sounds good. Still wouldn't buy one, but that's me.

Up thread I posted a link to a page that discusses Gayle's 'Breaking Bad' coffee contraption. Apparently it's a bit more complicated than necessary, but a little research shows that a company in Japan, Hario, sells coffee syphons

Should I ever return to Italy, I need to make a pilgrimage to the caffe illy in Trieste mentioned in The Economist article.

image.jpg

Now, that's something I'd be interested in buying, although I'd imagine it's hard to import into Peru. During the week, I just bung some Cafetal (cheap but 100% Arabica) in a French press and get my fix, but at the weekend, I really like to try something new.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:41 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:It's worth bearing in mind that almost all coffee grown in South America is Arabica, so that might affect your grind and how you brew it.

Arabica from coffee producing countries are generally roasted properly, and is easier to make a more consistent brew with these types of beans. I'm looking forward to staying in a coffee producer country :3

Sergio Bernales wrote:I like this old article in the Economist, but to get the best espresso, the coffee bar/lab at Illy in Trieste gets top marks. Perhaps I could put some air miles to good use.

Illy would be a standard go-to coffee brand, like Lavazza, Starbucks, etc without that eureka moment associated with finding a batch of relatively less known beans and making a great cup of coffee out of them. Their coffee would taste good without feeling being shortchanged in terms of taste, but since it's a bar/lab, they might have something different to offer other than their standard bagged/canned varieties. I'll do a bit of research on Lima coffee shops once I'm about to cross the bridge. :)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:20 pm

What kind of whole bean options are you finding? I have Café Valenzuela, my regular go to, which is roasted fresh, tastes good, and is a great deal at S/. 9.5 for 250g. Every now and then I get some Tunki to mix it up. I prefer darker roasts but it's good to change it up and Tunki, as we all know, is a mighty fine example of a lighter roast. Problem is, the café that sold whole beans has changed hands and it's no longer available. I'm going to try to contact them for distribution locations in my area, but in the meantime have been searching out other options and have just been coming across pre-ground in the major markets. I know there's Starbucks, but I don't like how they roast. What other brands with whole bean options does anyone recommend?
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm

S/. 9.5 for 250g

if arabica over there is that cheap (here it's about s/.25) i might not sleep anymore :3
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:21 am

S/. 9.5 isn't average for 250g of this quality. I buy from a long established, local company. That price is available in 2 of the 4 or 5 cafés they run. I believe it's around S/. 13 for 200g when buying the same brand at Plaza Vea, Tottus, etc., but I like buying from them direct at the café not only for the better price, but so that I know when the beans were roasted. No issues with sitting on a shelf for too or who knows how long.

My problem, if I'd call it that, is that I'm having trouble finding whole beans. Café Tunki responded that they will deliver to the provinces for S/. 10. The same price as my weekly bag of Café Valenzuela. I don't like to buy too much in advance and am happy buying my 250g of freshly roasted beans that lasts me about a week. Every now and then I come across a bag of whole bean Café Roma in the market so I'll try that soon. Other than that, no other whole bean options. :cry:

Loving my Aeropress. Didn't realize it, but there's a whole cult built around this thing. National competitions, countless recipes, etc.. Using the Stumptown inverted method for now for the simplicity and I like the results. Getting a scale and thermometer so I can play with some of the other more exacting recipes. Did a comparison using the stainless steel filter vs. paper filter. SS allows more flavor to flow through. Consumption holding steady at two a.m. cups, but I'm drinking the occasional post-lunch cup because it's just so good. All taste, no bitterness.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:53 pm

ironchefchris wrote:My problem, if I'd call it that, is that I'm having trouble finding whole beans.

this is quite problematic; i'm going to bring a porlex hand grinder to lima. i can't stand pre-ground beans if they've been ground for more than a week. :/

ironchefchris wrote:Loving my Aeropress. Didn't realize it, but there's a whole cult built around this thing. National competitions, countless recipes, etc.. Using the Stumptown inverted method for now for the simplicity and I like the results. Getting a scale and thermometer so I can play with some of the other more exacting recipes. Did a comparison using the stainless steel filter vs. paper filter. SS allows more flavor to flow through. Consumption holding steady at two a.m. cups, but I'm drinking the occasional post-lunch cup because it's just so good. All taste, no bitterness.

yes the inverted method :D i'm using the paper filters (i have a 5 year supply, so...) and i've had problems with wear and tear on ss filters on my french presses, so i'll stick to paper for now. a nifty tip i got from the net to get a good water temp, is to boil the water, then let it sit for about a minute so it gets below 100°C . initially i read that 95°C was ideal, but on another article it was 80°C, so again, i guess it boils down to a matter of prefernce. a thermometer would help a lot, but i'm just to lazy for that i guess :D and thus i suffer with the occassional bad cup of coffee. the boil then sit method is not entirely accurate as i've gotten varying results, some cups were perfect, but some were bitter, with only the water temp varying.

if you could get stumptown costa rica beans, they taste superb :D my sister used to live in seattle and she used to buy me stumptown beans.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:56 am

I'm with you (until I get my thermometer) when it comes to water temp.. I came across a suggestion to wait 30 seconds off the boil for the perfect temp.. Sometimes I'll do that, most often I just use the water that's in the thermos since when I make my morning coffee the thermos is full and so I figure has maintained a temp. close to what it was when poured. People get so detailed when it comes to their recipes. Such and such a temp. for a dark roast, higher temp. for a lighter roast, etc.. I'll probably just experiment once I get the thermometer and scale until I get it all dialed in and find my recipe for the 'perfect cup.'

I don't know if it's because of the varying water temps that I sometimes get a great and other times a less than great cup. Sometimes I think it's just me. Back when I used to smoke cigarettes I noticed that the first one of the day was the best, and sometimes others throughout the day would taste nasty. Probably depended more on me at the particular moment than the smokes.

I don't want to be that gringo that complains about things not being like home, but man, I wish there were more variety here when it comes to whole bean coffee. I spent a lot of time in the Pacific NW where there's a large and strong coffee culture and wish I now had just a fraction of the choices available there. It's ironic because obviously coffee doesn't grow there as it does here. Supply and demand and the economics of consumption. I'm content though with my AeroPress, MokaPot, hand grinder, access to at least one good, locally and freshly roasted coffee and am thankful I'm not someplace where Nescafé is my only option.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:22 pm

some of you connoisseurs may already know this tip: pre-heating your cup before pouring. keeps the great coffee taste longer. i've been buying my coffee in the whole bean for years, and would never think to go back to pre-ground. you really get spoiled when you move up to better coffee. for the folks who live in the U.S., Costco carries their "Kirkland" brand whole bean med. roast. it's roasted by Starbucks (not the dark roast). comes in a 2 lb. bag (907 gr.) for a little over 10 bucks. also have a Bunn G3 burr grinder that has settings from coarse to turkish grinds.
Ironchechris: my best cup of coffee always seems to be the 1st. in the morning. if you're ever without coffee for a couple of days or more, the first opportunity to have a cup will seem like the best cup ever :D
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:24 am

Anyone tried a Peruvian coffee brand Incafe, harvested in Chanchamayo?

I bought some at the weekend and went from being quite exited to deeply disappointed. Very little flavour, no crema, not even much aroma. Did I just get unlucky with this batch, or even the bag I bought? Perhaps the bag had been perforated and the coffee was exposed to air? Or is the brand usually like this?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Anyone tried a Peruvian coffee brand Incafe, harvested in Chanchamayo?

I bought some at the weekend and went from being quite exited to deeply disappointed. Very little flavour, no crema, not even much aroma. Did I just get unlucky with this batch, or even the bag I bought? Perhaps the bag had been perforated and the coffee was exposed to air? Or is the brand usually like this?

Sergio, a number of things may have gone wrong. it could have sat on the shelf for months. look at the bag before buying: was the bag dusty on top? is there a roast date? (probably not). were there any holes in the bag? i always squeeze the bag to see if any air exits, unless it has a one-way valve.
and lastly, most coffee producers have very little knowledge of how to handle and roast coffee. it seems everyone is in a hurry to make a quick buck, and quality is often overlooked :( have you tried taking it back? what was the price for the bag?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun May 03, 2015 12:20 pm

caliguy wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Anyone tried a Peruvian coffee brand Incafe, harvested in Chanchamayo?

Sergio, a number of things may have gone wrong. it could have sat on the shelf for months. look at the bag before buying: was the bag dusty on top? is there a roast date? (probably not). were there any holes in the bag? i always squeeze the bag to see if any air exits, unless it has a one-way valve.
and lastly, most coffee producers have very little knowledge of how to handle and roast coffee. it seems everyone is in a hurry to make a quick buck, and quality is often overlooked :( have you tried taking it back? what was the price for the bag?

Hi Greg, I think everything you say makes sense, although I can't put my finger on one particular problem. I bought it in Tottus, the bag looked okay, but I do think it's possible there was a small perforation and the bag may have sat there for months slowly losing its magic. There was no roasting date. However, the sell-by date was 2016. I might try squeezing the bag in future. However, if everything was fine with the bag, then you may be right that the producer was just selling a bad batch to make a quick buck, so even if everything looks great, the coffee could still be poor quality. I guess that's why I was wondering if anyone else had tried it.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun May 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:However, the sell-by date was 2016.

wonder what that would taste like after a year old :shock:
looks like you paid roughly 26 soles for that. did you try taking it back and opting for another brand, like Zena, Villa Rica or Tunki? it's kind of a hit and miss with coffee at the supermarkets. when i get back to Lima, i'll give you a 250 gr. bag of mine to try out, and see what you think.
Lets start a Coffee Poll!
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Mon May 04, 2015 11:27 am

Hi Guys,
I have been following this thread, and I have found it so interesting. I love my coffee but know nothing about grinding/roast etc. I simply have a bean to cup machine in the UK, and a few other types of machine.
Well I have found this link on the internet, and for all you connoisseurs out there, I think you will enjoy this, best wishes and,
keep slurping the nectar
http://www.home-barista.com/faqs-and-fa ... ewing.html
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed May 06, 2015 1:12 pm

caliguy wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:However, the sell-by date was 2016.

wonder what that would taste like after a year old :shock:
looks like you paid roughly 26 soles for that. did you try taking it back and opting for another brand, like Zena, Villa Rica or Tunki? it's kind of a hit and miss with coffee at the supermarkets. when i get back to Lima, i'll give you a 250 gr. bag of mine to try out, and see what you think.
Lets start a Coffee Poll!

No, I didn't take it back. Perhaps I should have. The thing with taking a bag of coffee back to the supermarket like Tottus is they tend to look at you as if you're slightly off your rocker. Maybe if they had staff specialising in coffee, like they do in the bakery and the butcher, it might be different.

Love the idea of the poll. I might buy a few brands and try and do a blind tasting. Now, I like Tunki, Zena and Villa Rica and often buy them, but I like to vary brands trying to notice the difference - I especially like to go between a cheaper brand like Cafetal, thinking, well, these others cost four or five times as much, so how big is the difference between Cafetal? Without doubt they're better, but in the case of that bag of Incafe I bought, Cafetal won.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue May 12, 2015 9:31 am

For those days when I've had an afternoon coffee I've lately substituted the normal cup for a cafe gaseosa. I'll make the usual concentrate with the AeroPress and instead of adding hot water I add agua con gas. A 600 ml bottle makes three for the size glass I use, but I could stand for it to be a bit stronger so I could probably get four out of a 600ml bottle. Obviously this, and sweetness, is to taste.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Mon May 18, 2015 3:24 am

Hi guys i'm finally in peru. a bit busy the past few days meeting friends and trying to know my neighborhood.

i brought my aeropress and a manual burr grinder (porlex jp-20). i must say that it's quite tedious to hand-grind my coffee; but what can i do, i wouldn't want to settle for pre-ground if i had a choice.

5 days in, my 200g bag of ethiopia i brought over is almost finished. i'll need to start exploring for options for whole bean coffee. hope they have some near santa beatriz
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon May 18, 2015 7:58 am

jacqueson wrote:Hi guys i'm finally in peru. a bit busy the past few days meeting friends and trying to know my neighborhood.

i brought my aeropress and a manual burr grinder (porlex jp-20). i must say that it's quite tedious to hand-grind my coffee; but what can i do, i wouldn't want to settle for pre-ground if i had a choice.

5 days in, my 200g bag of ethiopia i brought over is almost finished. i'll need to start exploring for options for whole bean coffee. hope they have some near santa beatriz

Santa Beatriz in Taramoto? Anyway, welcome to here.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon May 18, 2015 12:18 pm

jacqueson wrote:Hi guys i'm finally in peru. a bit busy the past few days meeting friends and trying to know my neighborhood.

you're practically my neighbor. i'm just on the other side of Via Expresa (Paseo de la Republica) in Balconcillo. i arrived in Lima recently also. just roasted 1 kilo of coffee (med. roast). on the 16th. and has been de-gassed and is ready for consumption. interested?
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Thu May 21, 2015 4:31 pm

teamoperu wrote:Santa Beatriz in Taramoto? Anyway, welcome to here.

No :D I'm surprised that you remembered my Tarapoto post. Well, the girl moved back to Lima, quite complicated, but we are looking for a small apartment in Lima right now :) but that's another story.

caliguy wrote:you're practically my neighbor. i'm just on the other side of Via Expresa (Paseo de la Republica) in Balconcillo. i arrived in Lima recently also. just roasted 1 kilo of coffee (med. roast). on the 16th. and has been de-gassed and is ready for consumption. interested?

:D You roast your own beans? I mean, do you have a coffee shop or do you roast coffee as a hobby? I'm definitely interested to try your batch of roasted coffee. Origin? :D

I bought a bag of coffee from Metro, and it's good, but not great, taste-wise. Value wise, it's not worth the price at all... maybe if it was 10 soles cheaper :D . or i'm doing something wrong with how i brew it.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri May 22, 2015 10:37 am

jacqueson wrote::D You roast your own beans? I mean, do you have a coffee shop or do you roast coffee as a hobby? I'm definitely interested to try your batch of roasted coffee. Origin? :D

I bought a bag of coffee from Metro, and it's good, but not great, taste-wise. Value wise, it's not worth the price at all... maybe if it was 10 soles cheaper :D . or i'm doing something wrong with how i brew it.

the bag of coffee you bought may very well be organic, which means it will have less taste than inorganic.
yes, i do my own roasting here in Balconcillo. this is just something i do on the side. i have a real passion for coffee. the origin is the Cuzco region of Peru. i've also bought beans from the Cajamarca region as well.
i'll send you a pm.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri May 22, 2015 12:04 pm

caliguy wrote:
jacqueson wrote::D You roast your own beans? I mean, do you have a coffee shop or do you roast coffee as a hobby? I'm definitely interested to try your batch of roasted coffee. Origin? :D

the bag of coffee you bought may very well be organic, which means it will have less taste than inorganic.

Hi Caliguy... Why is this?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Alan wrote:Hi Caliguy... Why is this?

this is due to the maturity of the fruit. insects and disease hinder the fruits maturity. also, shade grown trees produce better berries (longer maturity) :D
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:05 pm

on Saturday afternoon, i had the pleasure of meeting new member "jacqueson" at my humble residence in Balconcillo. we ground some of his cafe "Apu", and brewed it. i liked it. it had a nice fruity flavor. on the bag it says "intense floral", that's the aroma. then we had some of mine. completely different tasting coffees. i went to Metro (ave. Canada) in Santa Catalina later in the day to look for whole bean coffee, and it was all ground. did the squeeze test with the bags that had the valves, and smelled like stale coffee. there was a girl there handing out free espresso shots from Dolce Gusto on a i believe Delonghi machine, which was pretty good, but i wouldn't pay the price for the capsules, outrageous!
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Wed May 27, 2015 4:47 pm

happy to meet a fellow coffee lover halfway round the world! :D @caliguy. I got a bag of coffee from him, originating from cusco. After a few days of experimenting, I finally got the brew that I prefer from his beans.

When we tried out his beans, using a drip coffee machine, it was very light with hints of chocolate.

I used an aeropress with water 30 seconds removed from boiling, an almost "for espresso" grind size, and left it for about 5-7 minutes. I got a brew with more body, and caramel notes. No sour fruitiness like the Apu beans, nothing flowery, it almost tastes like i put a pinch of brown sugar on it. I'm not sure if it's the water temp or the brew time that made the difference. Have to play around with it a bit more. Seems like caliguy's beans is more suited for an espresso machine (should be discounted if brew time plays a factor), a moka pot, or a kettle brewer.

I also noticed that his beans were softer compared to the Apu coffee i bought at metro. I know because I brought along a manual hand grinder for the purpose of brewing whole bean coffee while I'm in Peru, and it takes about -_- 2 minutes to grind 20 grams (good for 2.5 cups/shots); i usually race the kettle to see if i finish grinding before the water boils, and caliguy's cusco beans was easier to grind.

caliguy wrote:did the squeeze test with the bags that had the valves, and smelled like stale coffee.

from personal experience, ground coffee doesn't stay fresh (optimal) for longer than a week (experts say it goes stale after 30 minutes or an hour XD), though it's still fairly decent (drinkable) after a month or two as long as it's not too exposed.

packaged coffee usually has a "best before" date a year after it was packed, as a rule of thumb. as long as whole bean coffee still has 6 months of shelf life left, and ground coffee at least 10 months, it's fairly safe to purchase i think.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:28 pm

I bought 2 more bags of whole bean, currently consuming them alternately. Both bags cost me around 25-30 soles each for 250 grams, i can't remember exactly how much.

puku puku i got from a coffee shop with the same name in miraflores somewhere along the blue bus corridor. it has a best before date of 30nov2015 so i am assuming it's been on the shelf for 6 months before i bought it. it tasted great, with a woody/nutty flavor. the roast i bought was light/medium, and the cafe has dark roast beans too if you prefer stronger tasting coffee. very smooth, though i don't know if i was tasting staleness or it's just the characteristic of the coffee itself.

the other one is cafe chasqui, says 100% arabica blended, and the description says a blend of high quality beans from the north of peru, so the beans didn't come from one single farm. it was a dark roast, and i find it similar to apu, but less fruity and more burnt, as i've never brewed a batch without any bitterness. the smell of the beans is great though. this would be the standard decent coffee shop coffee that you would encounter in coffee shops, or i might be doing something wrong.

opinions are welcome.

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:52 pm

You have more experience with the AeroPress than me, and I'm guessing more overall knowledge of coffee, but I noticed you mentioned letting the mix brew for 5-7 minutes. Could that be a bit long and contributing to any bitterness? All of the recipes I've read suggest less brewing time to avoid bitterness. Currently I'm doing about a 20 second bloom, add more water, about 50 seconds more brew time, and about 30 seconds to press the coffee into the cup, so about a minute 40.

After reading one of your above posts I started letting it brew longer, but honestly I couldn't really tell the difference. I also tend not to bother too much with weights and temperatures. I just use the grounds from one scoop and water either soon after the boil or out of the thermos. I'm attributing my lack of being able to discern much of a difference to dull taste buds, though I know a good cup when I taste one.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:41 pm

After reading one of your above posts I started letting it brew longer, but honestly I couldn't really tell the difference. I also tend not to bother too much with weights and temperatures. I just use the grounds from one scoop and water either soon after the boil or out of the thermos. I'm attributing my lack of being able to discern much of a difference to dull taste buds, though I know a good cup when I taste one.

To tell you the truth, my normal method doesn't involve anything fancy. I just try to guesstimate and play around with the variables.

Water temperature - I don't have any thermometers. I just try to use the water within 30 seconds after the electric kettle shuts off.

Amount of coffee - Since my manual grinder is for 20 grams, I've already determined the approximate amount that's needed for 3 shots. I just pour the beans directly into the grinder, I've stopped scooping the beans.

Brew time - Depending on how hot the water feels like, and how I want my coffee to taste that given day. It also depends on the bean itself, on how it brews. The beans I got from caliguy didn't taste right with a minute or two brew time, so I let it sit longer, but that's probably the exception. The beans back home would taste bad if brewed longer than 15-30 seconds. The beans I use now, they taste the same whether I leave it for a minute or five.

You are right that there's not much of a difference, especially with lighter roasts (depending on the beans you have) and lower water temperatures (inherent since you're not putting boiling water on the aeropress, and hot water generally is between 80 to 95 °F right after it cools down).

I just got back from caliguy's place, we had another coffee swap and I let him try espresso from the aeropress, using the puku puku beans.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am

I love reading scientific studies that justify my consumption of coffee, dark chocolate, and red wine. Looks like I have reason to bump up my daily consumption by a cup or two, though I'm sure my dentist won't be happy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/2 ... 65244.html
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 pm

has anyone been to this place in Pueblo Libre? soon to open another in Surquillo.
http://sprudge.com/origen-tostadores-go ... 79515.html
AustinTx

Postby AustinTx » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:28 am

In Miraflores i recommend Nathano's (Enrique Palacios 900) which has organic coffee and a fancy espresso machine. They buy Peruvian coffee and list the farms where the beans come from, some are organic. Nice patio environment and desserts too.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:45 am

Not really into the flavored coffee thing, but this morning I sprinkled a little ground cinnamon in with the grounds. Tasted alright and as to be expected, but nothing I'd do on a regular basis. For my second cup I sprinkled some ground white pepper with the grounds. Added a bit of zing and went well with my eggs, but again, not something I'll be doing regularly. For me, nothing beats the taste of black coffee, no sugar.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:31 pm

I think i found an affordable coffee source.

A shop in Rizzo 2 stores to the left of Rustica (in Lince) sells whole bean coffee, and they have many kinds. they sell beans depending on the quality, from 5 to 11 soles per 250 grams. that's 30-40 soles per kilogram, and effectively 50-65% cheaper than supermarket prices. I have yet to try them but i chewed a bean from each type i purchased, and they taste promising,

Though not the best, if it's decent at all, it will have the most value out of all the coffees i've bought here.

They also sell freshly brewed coffee for 1-2 soles a cup, and they only have take-away.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register