Bacon

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
cmcarriemarie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bacon

Postby cmcarriemarie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Ok, legitimate question here - the bacon I've found here (both at Wong and Metro) seems to be WAY tastier than the bacon I get at home in the states. Is there any reason anyone can think of for this? Any sort of additives or something they might put in it?

Obviously this isn't a matter of great importance, but if anyone has any insight I'm pretty curious. :)

Mmmm... Bacon!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Thoreau
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bacon

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Probably because they don't put any hormones or other chemical rubbish in it.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Coming from Spain I would say they have no clue to make good bacon in the US :lol:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:20 am

Guiri wrote:Coming from Spain I would say they have no clue to make good bacon in the US :lol:

Apparently some have an interesting, distinctly American way of cooking the 'candy of meat' in the US.

http://munchies.vice.com/articles/cooki ... e=vicefbus

Considering 'you are what you eat' it's likely this has an effect on how you taste, as well as what you're injected with in the case of livestock. That would be my guess.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 am

Holy smoke ...that is the most twisted thing I witnessed for a long time :? ....there is really something wrong with Us people.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Guiri wrote:
Holy smoke ...that is the most twisted thing I witnessed for a long time :? ....there is really something wrong with Us people.

just innovative :lol:
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:44 pm

loaded with MSG like many things here.
cmcarriemarie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cmcarriemarie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Lol, so I've got two opposing answers - because they don't put things in it, or because they put MSG in it. I realllllly hope it's the former; MSG gives me pretty stellar migraines (which I've been getting since I came here, and had attributed to the new place/weather/stress/etc)...
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Thoreau
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:45 am

The two opposing answers seem to be suggesting the same thing - it all comes down to what's in or left out of the bacon. How is the pig fed, what is it injected with, and how is it processed/what is added to it. Hopefully the label gives some information about what's in it. Maybe try to contact the company who makes the brand you buy or see if they have a website. I don't eat bacon anymore (though I have many fond memories) but I'm curious if they put less or more in the bacon here. I hope chi chi's right and the reason is because they don't put hormones or chemical rubbish in it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's the opposite and the meat is loaded with hormones, additives, MSG, etc..
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:46 pm

About a year ago I had business breakfast in Los Delfines Hotel with an American, as he was eating his chcharron he said "this is the most delicious pork I have ever tasted, and I come hog country" I think he meant Iowa.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:34 pm

FHCZ wrote:About a year ago I had business breakfast in Los Delfines Hotel with an American, as he was eating his chcharron he said "this is the most delicious pork I have ever tasted, and I come hog country" I think he meant Iowa.

He was probably suffering from a serious hangover from drinking heavily the night before. :lol: :lol: :lol:
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:33 pm

FHCZ wrote:About a year ago I had business breakfast in Los Delfines Hotel with an American, as he was eating his chcharron he said "this is the most delicious pork I have ever tasted, and I come hog country" I think he meant Iowa.

He needs to try "chancho al cilindro" its very tasty.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Cecina con tacacho is pretty tasty as well!
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:53 pm

I dont like the peruvian bacon you buy in supermarkets... :roll:

I buy mine in my local charcutería... bigger, tastier and cheaper.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register