Peru's GDP grows 4+% 9n April

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru's GDP grows 4+% 9n April

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:07 pm

This headline flashed on my cell phone the other day, now I can't find the article. Anybody have a link?

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru's GDP grows 4% in April

Postby tupacperu » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 am

Yes, I saw that.. wishful thinking.. :)
The April 2015 GDP numbers are not out until June 15th.

Highly unlikely with all the civil unrest in mining and quotas on fishing. But we will see Monday :)

THis is the Central Bank and not the Office of Statistics nor the Minister of Economy and Finance

http://gestion.pe/economia/bcrp-economi ... il-2134273

Translation (Optimism) :

BCRP: Peruvian economy would have grown between 4.2% and 4.7% in April
Tuesday, June 09, 2015

ECONOMIA17:04
President of the BCRP, Julio Velarde, was optimistic for the development of the Peruvian economy. He felt that in the second quarter growth will be close to 4%.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru's GDP grows 4+% in April

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:27 pm

It's official, GDP grew between 4.25-4.5% in April. This is also the best month in the past 13 months and bodes well for the full year #'s :D
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru's GDP grows 4+% 9n April

Postby tupacperu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Because of the shopping frenzy at H&M and FOREVER 21(joking)

By the numbers:
Mostly up because the anchovie season (Fish meal)
quota was reset , Up 154%. This is not a basis for sustained recovery.
Need at least 3 months of consistent numbers to call it a recovery.
Construction slipped and agriculture.
Peru is Still mining dependent so expect a rocky road. May and June lots of protest and civil unrest over mining.

The uptick in April was led by a 18.15 percent in mining.

Wait see mode.

Fishing activity jumped 154 percent, manufacturing rose 6.10 percent and retail 3.53 percent.
But construction shrank 8.57 percent and agriculture slipped 2.22 percent.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:59 pm

BBVA Research Analyst, the figure of April economic growth is "encouraging" and suggests that the activity begins to emerge from the prolonged slump in which fell last year and in that sense it could give some support to the sagging business expectations.

He explained that on the primary side, the momentum of fishing activity and the industry processing this resource is moderate in may, since the main reason for the momentum that was recorded in April was the advancement of the first season of anchovy catch and had fifteen days more effective fishing, context in which the extraction of anchovy increased by more than 300% year on year.

However, that will not happen in may if it is considered that according to the information of the Peru Sea Institute (Imarpe), it is estimated that in that month the capture of anchovy was nearly 1 million metric tons, which implies an annual expansion of just over 40%, still significant but also rather less than in April.

For may expected growth of the economy no more than 2.5% due to lower expansion of fishing, a decline in the production of hydrocarbons and an unfavorable for construction, trade and manufacturing non-primary statistical effect.

BBVA Research Analyst, the figure of April economic growth is "encouraging" and suggests that the activity begins to emerge from the prolonged slump in which fell last year and in that sense it could give some support to the sagging business expectations.

He explained that on the primary side, the momentum of fishing activity and the industry processing this resource is moderate in may, since the main reason for the momentum that was recorded in April was the advancement of the first season of anchovy catch and had fifteen days more effective fishing, context in which the extraction of anchovy increased by more than 300% year on year.

However, that will not happen in may if it is considered that according to the information of the Peru Sea Institute (Imarpe), it is estimated that in that month the capture of anchovy was nearly 1 million metric tons, which implies an annual expansion of just over 40%, still significant but also rather less than in April.

Full story

http://gestion.pe/economia/bbva-researc ... es-2134783
Last edited by tupacperu on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru's GDP grows 4+% in April

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:20 am

Alpineprince wrote:It's official, GDP grew between 4.25-4.5% in April. This is also the best month in the past 13 months and bodes well for the full year #'s :D

It is good news for all the peruvians and expats who want Peru to have a healthy economy...
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:24 am

The last estimation for 2015 is a annual growth rate of no more than 3,25%, far lower than necessary for a recovery.

Furthermore poverty is increasing again in at least 7 regions in Peru. I don't have the link at fingertips, but my Novia confirms as she works for the Instituto del Peru leaded by Richard Webb which is researching the changes in Perus economy and its impact on poverty.

All in all nothing to be optimistic.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:50 am

Economy
Posted by Colin Post on Jun 16, 2015 | Leave a comment
Peru’s middle class slightly smaller from four years ago

http://perureports.com/2015/06/16/perus ... our-years/
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Just got off the phone with my real estate guy in Chiclayo.
I recently bought a home in NC and speculating on selling my Beach Property in Pimentel Peru.
He tells me that properties are down 50% and no one is buying land nor homes/apts.
this is someone who is in the front line. Contrary to what is being reported by the media.
He gets 3% on the sale, so it behooves him to get a good price.

We would like to sell at the right price to buy an apartment in Lima, but under current conditions
We will be holding the property for a bit. Though I doubt that real estate will recover soon.
No worries I bought in 2007 for $13k , so no big loss.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 am

GDP May 2015. 1.22% (Peru)
Fishing is at 95% of quota, also do not expect stellar numbers with crisis in China
and the issues in Greece.
louis

Postby louis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 am

With a powerful El Nino around the corner, I would think it prudent to suspend fishing quotas right now.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 pm

June numbers came out with a nice rise of 3.87%!
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I was after a fake Nigerian passport. Just my luck.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:20 pm

What with the various fishing quotas affecting national income, perhaps someone at the Ministry could get a fake fishing license.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register