Crime in Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
draikin1

Crime in Peru

Postby draikin1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:39 am

Hi everyone,

I'm about to move to Trujillo, Peru from the UK, where I live in a very calm/safe neighborhood. I just read an article (http://peru21.pe/actualidad/trujillo-y-arequipa-son-dos-regiones-mas-violentas-pais-2168262) that kind of worries me. It says that in 2013, a quarter of all people have been attacked in the "La Libertad" district of Peru, where Trujillo is.

In http://elcomercio.pe/opinion/editorial/editorial-mundo-extorsiones-noticia-1768435?ref=nota_peru&ft=mod_leatambien&e=titulo, they say 90% of building sites in Trujillo must pay gangs a monthly fee to avoid being attacked or killed.

These figures are simply incredible. To those expats living in Trujillo, Arequipa or Lima, do you have some feeling of danger in daily life? I know that taking basic precautions can reduce a lot the probability of beind assaulted, but still it's frightening.

KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Crime in Peru

Postby KenBE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 pm

Ok, I lived in Trujillo for 4 years. Yes, crime is a HUGE problem there no doubt about it. Robberies of all kinds (including armed robbery) are very, very common. That said, if you take precautions, stay in safe areas and call taxis whenever possible (or use a safe taxi app like Easy Taxi) you should be fine. Nothing serious happened to me when I lived there but I do know LOTS of people (all Peruvians) who were robbed (including my Peruvian ex girlfriend). I also personally saw a woman get mugged at gunpoint right in front of my apartment. The numbers in those articles are probably accurate based on my experience. Extortion is also extremely common, like that article says. So yeah, crime is very high in Trujillo but there is no need to be paranoid. Just be aware of the reality, be careful and take precautions.

Trujillo is a great city though and I love it. It is just sad that there is so much crime there.
simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby simperu2012 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:53 pm

I lived in Callao for 2 years. I had a few problems when I first arrived, but once you begin to think like a local and avoid dangerous areas and situations, you'll be fine. I also witnessed an armed robbery in Callao, and it really made me appreciate the right to carry a firearm that I have back home in the States. As I observed from about 30 yards away, I felt powerless to stop it. The situation would have been different if I was back home. But I digress. Avoid crime areas, use reputable taxis if it's late, and never carry large amounts of cash in case of a robbery.

Cheers
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 pm

KenBE wrote:Ok, I lived in Trujillo for 4 years. Yes, crime is a HUGE problem there no doubt about it. Robberies of all kinds (including armed robbery) are very, very common. That said, if you take precautions, stay in safe areas and call taxis whenever possible (or use a safe taxi app like Easy Taxi) you should be fine. Nothing serious happened to me when I lived there but I do know LOTS of people (all Peruvians) who were robbed (including my Peruvian ex girlfriend). I also personally saw a woman get mugged at gunpoint right in front of my apartment. The numbers in those articles are probably accurate based on my experience. Extortion is also extremely common, like that article says. So yeah, crime is very high in Trujillo but there is no need to be paranoid. Just be aware of the reality, be careful and take precautions.

Trujillo is a great city though and I love it. It is just sad that there is so much crime there.

Yeah, but Ken you do not live there now... you are speaking about a quite few years ago, right? Things change, even Trujillo. For instance, where you there when the new sheriff came to down and shot a few of the gang leaders in the head and they quickity quick ran from town (sadly some to Piura). My understanding things have calmed down in Trujillo recently.

Good point IMHO about it being Peruvians most at risk, not expats.
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:27 am

Intersting input, thanks all.

@teamoperu: All articles I'm coming across report increase in crime withint the past few years.. Maybe it's been worse before that and there has been a period of improvement then it's getting bad again?

About expats: it's nice if expats are less attacked than locals, but I don't see why that would be the case. Those who attack and mug know that expats have more money than locals and hence are more interesting targets. Why would they prefer less wealthy locals?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 am

teamoperu wrote:Yeah, but Ken you do not live there now... you are speaking about a quite few years ago, right? Things change, even Trujillo. For instance, where you there when the new sheriff came to down and shot a few of the gang leaders in the head and they quickity quick ran from town (sadly some to Piura). My understanding things have calmed down in Trujillo recently.

I lived in Trujillo from 2008-2012 however, I still talk to people who live there and things don't seem to have improved much from what I hear. My ex-girlfriend was express-kidnapped in a taxi two years ago.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 am

draikin1 wrote:About expats: it's nice if expats are less attacked than locals, but I don't see why that would be the case. Those who attack and mug know that expats have more money than locals and hence are more interesting targets. Why would they prefer less wealthy locals?

Very poor locals are robbed all the time because they usually are the easiest targets and live in the most dangerous areas where most of the "choros" (robbers) hang out. As long as you have something of value (even something like an old cell phone) you are a potential target. Locals also tend not to take as many precautions as expats do from what I have seen.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 am

KenBE wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Yeah, but Ken you do not live there now... you are speaking about a quite few years ago, right? Things change, even Trujillo. For instance, where you there when the new sheriff came to down and shot a few of the gang leaders in the head and they quickity quick ran from town (sadly some to Piura). My understanding things have calmed down in Trujillo recently.

I lived in Trujillo from 2008-2012 however, I still talk to people who live there and things don't seem to have improved much from what I hear. My ex-girlfriend was express-kidnapped in a taxi two years ago.

That's odd because I have been hearing from my people there that it has improved since 2012. Sort of irrelevant though because it is not the gringos being targeted anyway, and the question was posed by a gringo.

I've never been robbed there but maybe it is because they know and appreciate how much I like the glassy effect of the surface of the Plaza there.

Was shopping and bought multiple shoes for resale there recently and the clerk did advise us to stay in the store a bit because she spotted a couple of known thieves pass by her puesto in the market.
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:12 am

@KenBE omg your ex was kidnapped by a taxi? That's utterly horrific! Clearly the level of danger is higher than Europe, I mean there's no such thing here...

@simperu2012: we can't carry any self-defense weapon in Peru, not even a knife or something? Cause that's what I'd like to do. Here in the UK you can't carry anything, the law makes sure you are entirely defenseless when attacked.

Recently in Trujillo I've read that a local was beaten to death in his home, his wife tied up next to him, after withdrawing cash in the street. So the danger is not just the street, you can even be attacked when you enter your flat...

I plan to go out only with a cheap smartphone and one special credit card with little money on the account. That's if I'm attacked outside. For "flat attacks" I'm not sure yet.

Question: are there areas of Trujillo safer than others? (not talking about suburbs like Porvenir/Esperanza/etc but center only)
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:39 am

draikin1 wrote:@KenBE omg your ex was kidnapped by a taxi? That's utterly horrific! Clearly the level of danger is higher than Europe, I mean there's no such thing here...

Yes it was very bad and traumatic for her. She wasn't really kidnapped , but they did hold her for about an hour or so and forced her to withdraw money from an ATM (what they call an "express-kidnapping"). When she panicked they beat her. It still makes me mad just thinking about it. Those choros are the scum of the earth. And this isn't the only thing that has happened to her either (she has been robbed at gunpoint several times too). Yes, there is a lot more crime in Peru compared to Europe. Be VERY careful with the taxis in Trujillo.

Question: are there areas of Trujillo safer than others? (not talking about suburbs like Porvenir/Esperanza/etc but center only)

Huanchaco is pretty safe. The malls are quite safe too (Aventura Plaza aka "El Mol", Real Plaza). They are probably the safest places to hang out (although there have been robberies there as well). I lived in Santa Inés, which is a middle class area near the Aventura Plaza mall and it wasn't really that safe there (lots of robberies). The best areas, where the wealthier Trujillanos live, are El Golf and California. El Porvenir and La Esperanza are some of the worst areas (lots of gang related violence there).
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:57 am

she has been robbed at gunpoint several times too

I find it hard to reconcile this with "there is no need to be paranoid" :D

At this point I'd rather stay in Europe honestly. But for some personal reason I do have to settle there.

About "call taxis whenever possible": do you think owning a car and driving it everyday makes it more likely to get attacked compared to using taxis?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 am

draikin1 wrote:
she has been robbed at gunpoint several times too

I find it hard to reconcile this with "there is no need to be paranoid" :D

At this point I'd rather stay in Europe honestly. But for some personal reason I do have to settle there.

About "call taxis whenever possible": do you think owning a car and driving it everyday makes it more likely to get attacked compared to using taxis?

Yeah it is sad really. I wish I could say there is no need to worry about crime, but that would be irresponsible of me after all I have seen. Trujillo is a fun city though, with great food, nightlife, interesting places to visit. Like I said before, just stay in safe places and call taxis or use an app like this one: http://www.easytaxi.com/pe/ That eliminates a lot of the risk. It also helps if you have local friends there who can show you around and keep you safe.

I didn't have a car when I lived there so I don't really know if that would increase the risk of being targeted.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:23 am

draikin1, I am thinking you are getting simplistic anecdotal impression about crime in Peru and to match seemingly niave views of crime anywhere. There surely is crime in larger cities in Peru (though relatively safe elsewhere, smaller towns, the mountains, etc.) and with apparently no crime in the UK, best you stay in the UK if fear of crime is your priority.

... except I read UK is the violent crime capital of Europe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... urope.html
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:22 pm

I know it's easy to get distorted views of reality from statistics. But you must admit that the idea of a single person being held at gunpoint by different people at different times (and kidnapped on another occasion) is rather telling.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:20 pm

Say what? You get distorted views from people who ignore reliable statistics and instead use tabloid sensationalism and anecdotal evidence.... or already have their mind made up.

The only thing I have to admit is "telling" is that someone seems to be ignoring the suggestion that gringos are not a primary target and especially those gringos wise about taking proper precautions.

But I repeat, stay in England where is so so safe. No crime or kidnapping there... Not.

UK and Whales: 1.9m incidents of violent crime were recorded in 2012-13

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... wales-2013
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:46 pm

teamoperu wrote:UK and Whales: 1.9m incidents of violent crime were recorded in 2012-13

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... wales-2013

That article says 1 in 50 people where vicitimized in the UK (and seems to include all violent crime, not just robbery/assaults).

There were 1.9m violent incidents in England and Wales in 2012-13, with just over one in fifty adults victimised, according to the latest figures from the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW), released today.

In Peru it is 1 in 4...
En la Ciudad Blanca, en 2013, asaltaron a 27 de cada 100 personas
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:03 pm

So what? We are talking about Trujillo. Specifically risks to gringos in Trujillo. How are country-wide statistics relevant to one city? Or one city to another. Or Pruvians versus grinogs. And relating what happened years ago when there was a spike does not represent today after recuperative steps have been taken, right?

(Besides I posted that to show the OP has a unbalanced view of crime in UK, the OP referred to UK seemingly safe, it is not).
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:32 pm

(Besides I posted that to show the OP has a unbalanced view of crime in UK, the OP referred to UK seemingly safe, it is not).

Ok fine, but that article does at least show that the U.K. as a whole is safer than Trujillo and Arequipa (about ten times safer if those statistics are accurate). Other big Peruvian cities like Lima (where almost a third of the Peruvian population lives) have similar statistics:

Lima, incluyendo los 42 distritos y el Callao, no se queda atrás, pues, según el INEI, registra entre abril y setiembre de 2013, 26 personas atracadas por cada 100 habitantes.

According to the statistics (for all of Peru) in this article, almost 1 in 3 Peruvians where victims of a crime (not just violent crime) in 2014:
http://archivo.larepublica.pe/21-04-201 ... lincuencia

La última encuesta del Barómetro de las Américas realizada entre enero del 2013 y febrero del 2014, revela que el Perú ocupa el primer lugar en inseguridad ciudadana: 30.6% de personas fueron víctimas de la delincuencia, seguido de Ecuador con 27.5% y Argentina con 24.4%.

Most common types of crimes in Peru are robberies of all kinds:

En el Perú, el principal tipo de delincuencia que afecta a la población es el robo al paso (32%), seguido del robo con amenaza (19%) y el robo con arma (18%). Los robos a viviendas se ubican en cuarto lugar (12%), seguidos de la extorsión (con solo 8%).

Or one city to another. Or Pruvians versus grinogs. And relating what happened years ago when there was a spike does not represent today after recuperative steps have been taken, right?

Sure, if you are a gringo who takes a lot of precautions (like me when I lived in Peru) you lower your risk a lot, I agree with that. Like I said before, Peruvians are easier targets because they usually aren't as careful and tend to live and work in more dangerous areas.

Has crime gone down a lot in Trujillo compared to when I lived there? I don't know. It seems unlikely but it is possible I guess, who knows? Do you have statistics for that? Those articles posted earlier in this thread with the statistics were from 2014 though which isn't that long ago.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:55 pm

KenBE wrote:
Sure, if you are a gringo who takes a lot of precautions (like me when I lived in Peru) you lower your risk a lot, I agree with that. Like I said before, Peruvians are easier targets because they usually aren't as careful and tend to live and work in more dangerous areas.

Has crime gone down a lot in Trujillo compared to when I lived there? I don't know. It seems unlikely but it is possible I guess, who knows? Do you have statistics for that? Those articles posted earlier in this thread with the statistics were from 2014 though which isn't that long ago.

All of you seem to be forgetting the simple fact: most gringos have Peruvian wives or gf's and many of them have kids who are not exactly gringos. So, IMHO, it's unfair to have "a separate statistics" for gringos only. If, God forbid, something happens to your wife or kid won't it hurt the same? And those posters who try to compare crime rates in Peru and the UK make me laugh real loud. How can we believe people who say that they get robbed and mugged in Canada almost on a regular basis while stating that they or their loved ones have never been victims of a crime in Peru? Ridiculous!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:42 am

You make a good point about Peruvians we know and love being victims. Well done. Of course, their risk is the same whether we exist or not. Crime risk for his girlfriend in Trujillo likely the same whether the OP moves there to be with her or not. It might even decrease when he is with her -I suggest it would be less for her when he is beside her because the jerks pray on single vulnerable women over ones accompanied by gringos.

I scarcely know a Peruvian who hasn't been robbed. And yes, as KenB states, those poorer ones living in poor areas are more victimized. One I know in a bad area has gotten robbed multiple times per year recently, terrible. Purse snatching while in a moto, followed when she made a largish withdrawal from the bank for the school list, her money snatched at the mercado, cell phone, etc. I frequent the same areas and have never been robbed there.

The last part of your post is quite wrong. I was disagreeing with the OP about the UK being safe, no comparison. And wrong again in your recollection of what I have actually said. Shame on you. A remedial reading course might be suggested. I have been robbed [url]many[/url]more times in my home country than in Peru. Fact. And I was only victimized years ago when I was a rookie here, older and wiser now. And it wasn't in Trujillo.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:24 am

teamoperu wrote:I scarcely know a Peruvian who hasn't been robbed. And yes, as KenB states, those poorer ones living in poor areas are more victimized. One I know in a bad area has gotten robbed multiple times per year recently, terrible. Purse snatching while in a moto, followed when she made a largish withdrawal from the bank for the school list, her money snatched at the mercado, cell phone, etc. I frequent the same areas and have never been robbed there.

The last part of your post is quite wrong. I was disagreeing with the OP about the UK being safe, no comparison. And wrong again in your recollection of what I have actually said. Shame on you. A remedial reading course might be suggested. I have been robbed [url]many[/url]more times in my home country than in Peru. Fact. And I was only victimized years ago when I was a rookie here, older and wiser now. And it wasn't in Trujillo.

Ok, so almost all Peruvians you know have been robbed (often multiple times)? Finally you admit the truth. :D I have also been to very poor and dangerous areas in Peru and was never robbed there, but that was only because I was with locals who kept me safe. The local choros/pandilleros/pirañas where always staring at me with VERY hungry eyes in those areas.

What is your home country Teamoperu? You have never mentioned where you are from. And what were the robberies like? Were they at gunpoint? What about the robbery in Peru?
Last edited by KenBE on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:34 am

followed when she made a largish withdrawal from the bank

I've read articles about people being followed and attacked after making large withdrawals in Peru. I just watched http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11623618/Cashpoint-cons-how-to-spot-a-dodgy-ATM.html which advises among other things to hide the PIN, but now I wonder if it is not also recommended to hide the amount of notes coming out, if that's possible (not sure how though).

I suppose the persons followed are indeed followed after the bad guys saw the amount of cash coming out. Simpler not to make large withdrawals ever, but sometimes you have to. How did you guys deal with that?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:10 am

draikin1 wrote:
followed when she made a largish withdrawal from the bank

I've read articles about people being followed and attacked after making large withdrawals in Peru. I just watched http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11623618/Cashpoint-cons-how-to-spot-a-dodgy-ATM.html which advises among other things to hide the PIN, but now I wonder if it is not also recommended to hide the amount of notes coming out, if that's possible (not sure how though).

I suppose the persons followed are indeed followed after the bad guys saw the amount of cash coming out. Simpler not to make large withdrawals ever, but sometimes you have to. How did you guys deal with that?

I always looked around me to see who was watching before I withdrew money from a "cajero" and yeah, I tried to avoid making large withdrawals as much as possible. The safest places to go to the bank and withdraw money are the malls because they have a lot of security (although you can still be followed from there as well obviously).
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:37 am

KenBE wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I scarcely know a Peruvian who hasn't been robbed. And yes, as KenB states, those poorer ones living in poor areas are more victimized. One I know in a bad area has gotten robbed multiple times per year recently, terrible. Purse snatching while in a moto, followed when she made a largish withdrawal from the bank for the school list, her money snatched at the mercado, cell phone, etc. I frequent the same areas and have never been robbed there.

Ok, so almost all Peruvians you know have been robbed (often multiple times)? Finally you admit the truth. :D I have also been to very poor and dangerous areas in Peru and was never robbed there, but that was only because I was with locals who kept me safe. The local choros/pandilleros/pirañas where always staring at me with VERY hungry eyes in those areas.

What truth? I have been the person arguing that when talking about crime in Peru we need to differentiate between crimes against Peruvians versus against gringos. I have always stated crime against poor Peruvians, especially single vulnrable women, is a major problem. But I do not blindly then associate this as a risk to gringos. I have been arguing the crime risk against gringos is much much less.

Saw an interesting statistic. In the 207 days of 2015 there have been 207 [url]mass[/url] shootings in the USA.

Edit out last statement and insert: WRT mass shootings, Peru is much safer.
Last edited by teamoperu on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 am

@KenBE: good to know about the malls

@teamoperu:

Since 9/11 there have been (...) 150000 gun homicides. Peru is much safer than that

You must factor in population size, Peru is 30M and USA 300M (10 times bigger). In 2012 there were 3.000 homicides in Peru (1) and 15.000 in USA (2). To compare you have to divide this figure (15.000) by 10, that's 1.500.

3.000 is twice 1.500 so after factoring population size, Peru had actually twice more homicides than USA in 2012. Assuming things haven't changed much since then, you can see that Peru is a lot more dangerous in terms of homicide.

(1) http://www.datosmacro.com/demografia/homicidios/peru
(2) https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/violent-crime/murder
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 am

teamoperu wrote: I have been arguing the crime risk against gringos is much much less.

But didn't you just say that you have been robbed in Peru yourself? :?

Saw an interesting statistic. In the 207 days of 2015 there have been 207 [url]mass[/url] shootings in the USA. Since 9/11 there have been 74 people killed in the USA because of terrorist attacks and 150000 gun homicides. Peru is much safer than that.

Ok now you are talking about homicides, which is different from robberies. Compared to other Latin American countries like Venezuela and Honduras (some of the most violent countries in the world) Peru has a reasonably low homicide rate. But according to the statistics it is still much higher than the US:

US: 4.5
Peru: 9,6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:10 am

draikin1 wrote:@KenBE: good to know about the malls

Yeah the malls are great actually. They are clean, pretty safe and you can do all of your shopping there. They also have great modern movie theaters (which are much cheaper than in Europe).

Biggest one in Trujillo is Mall Aventura Plaza:
http://trujillo.mallaventuraplaza.com.pe

The second largest is Real Plaza:
Udo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Udo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:35 am

I've been living in Trujillo for just about three years and not been robbed yet. But as for the Malls being safer, you have to watch out there too:
http://elcomercio.pe/peru/la-libertad/t ... ia-1810445
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:51 am

Udo wrote:I've been living in Trujillo for just about three years and not been robbed yet. But as for the Malls being safer, you have to watch out there too:

Yeah it is true, there have been robberies in the malls as well, but I still think they are quite a bit safer than the rest of the city, at least that is how they "feel".

Robbery in the Aventura Plaza Mall
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Udo wrote:I've been living in Trujillo for just about three years and not been robbed yet. But as for the Malls being safer, you have to watch out there too:

Thanks for speaking up. So now we have two gringos living/lived in Trujillo, and some visiting, that have never been robbed there. And none speaking up about being robbed.
Huanchaquero

Postby Huanchaquero » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Another gringo here who has had a home in Huanchaco for 9 years and has never been robbed. Huanchaco is very safe and I have never had a problem at the Malls. I only travel with good taxi services. Cabs are cheap and I have no idea why one would want a car unless for traveling around Peru. Even then the bus system is excellent. Anyway, I think normal precautions make Peru a reasonably safe place and now I'm off to walk along the sea in Huanchaco and enjoy the lovely weather!
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Hmm interesting. If there's such a marked difference in risk of being attacked between gringos and locals, I am wondering if the higher level of precaution in gringos is the only criterion. It certainly sounds credible as a contributing factor, but is it the whole story? Considering gringos will always constitute more attractive targets.

Is it possible that delincuentes suffer from some sort of old, history-rooted type of belief that gringos are stronger/smarter/whatever and not to be f***ed with ?

@Huanchaquero: wow, I've been crying so far thinking that I won't be able to purchase a car in Peru before a year or two. What taxi companies do you recommend for Trujillo center? What app do you use? How much does it cost by the way?
draikin1

Postby draikin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Or perhaps you are all massive, bald, tatooed dudes that even in the West nobody thinks of attacking :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:35 am

Your assumption is not correct, not so sure gringos are attractive targets in Trujillo. Crooks are generally lazy cowards. They want their booty easy. A lone female, or one pulling a kid is more vulnerable, easier prey. But yes, a larger gringo might make them think twice. There are not snatching looking for a chase or a fight.

We are also a bit of an unknown. Easier for them to go after the tried and true – vulnerable Peruvians. Looking at us they do not quite know what to expect. Looking at a vulnerable Peruvian, they know exactly what to expect.

Sure there might be some willing to rob a gringo, but remember there are so few gingos in Trujillo the odds become quite low for that encounter. Also, they might well think that the police might take a complaint by a gringo more seriously. Remember often the cops know who the thieves are anyway and might hastle them more if they go after a gringo.

Besides, don't kid yourself, there are lots of rich Peruvians, you will see that. Many robberies are insider type jobs, knowing when someone is carrying valuables.

Now the situation for robbing businesses might be wee bit different, the ownership is less of a question. But again, how many gringos own a business in Trujillo, so again the odds of it being targetted is really quite low, possible but statistically unlikely.

And yes, gringos are often more procactive safety wise as well, both in precautions and when and where they go. I know I am and even look it with my cell tethered to me etc.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Search for "policiales lima", for example in the Peruvian Google.
It is getting worse and worse.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 am

gringito wrote:Search for "policiales lima", for example in the Peruvian Google.

Totally irrelevant. The OP was specific asking about Trujillo. If we want to be off topic, did you know that every 16 seconds there is a robbery in the USA?

It seems in this thread from real life experience the gringos living and visiting Trujillo cannot report anything is getting worse for gringos and indeed nothing for gringos was bad before.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:40 pm

teamoperu wrote:
gringito wrote:Search for "policiales lima", for example in the Peruvian Google.

Totally irrelevant. The OP was specific asking about Trujillo. If we want to be off topic, did you know that every 16 seconds there is a robbery in the USA?

Sorry to disappoint you, teamoperu: if you search for search for "policiales lima" you will find in the respective "policiales" information about incidents ALL OVER Peru, including for Trujillo, if there are any.

However, nice to read that you still intend to score with a cheap tit-for-tat response.

teamoperu wrote:It seems in this thread from real life experience the gringos living and visiting Trujillo cannot report anything is getting worse for gringos and indeed nothing for gringos was bad before.

Some real life experiences are obviously limited or based only on forum information.
RPP noticias and their "Siempre en casa" edition, for example, meanwhile report on a DAILY basis about the detoriating "seguridad ciudadana".
How can "Gringos" expect that THEY won´t be affected?!
Because it never happens to them?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:08 am

So OK I searched “policiales lima trujillo” and could not find any incidents involving gringos. None.

So no reports in the news and no reports here on Expat from gringos having major problems in Trujillo. Indeed, the opposite. Posters here, people living and visiting Trujillo, report not having problems themselves. Can gringos get robbed? Of course, it is just rare.

Peru is safer than the USA. In the USA there were gun related 85000 injuries and 33000 deaths yearly. No where near that in Peru. Ah, you say, populations are different, the rates are different. I will say, so what? Yes, Peru does have fewer people. It also has fewer gun related injures and deaths. Hence it is safer. Maybe not by rate, but by absolute numbers. More people have guns in the USA, more people to shoot me. And the USA has way more serial killers. It also has a scary number of mass shootings, increasing by the year. The odds of me, or you, getting shot in the USA is greater than Peru, especially Trujillo.

With respect, reading your posts, I conclude you have an exaggerated fear of being robbed and shot. Sorry for you, and sorry for you for your life experiences that have caused this, sincerely, but not everyone has ballistophobia.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:32 pm

First to the gringo who calls himself huanchaquero, were you born there? If not better be careful calling yourself that. 9 years is a long time but we are always considered outsiders extranjeros no matter what you may think.

Second, Huanchaco is NOT Trujillo. Punto! I have nothing more to say on this issue.

Having lived all around la libertad....I do like Trujillo and am currently living here too. Things have calmed down for the moment but plenty of BS stilll goes down. I am fine with the perception if people want to call Trujillo unsafe. Que se vayan al otros lados - go live somewhere else where it is perceived to be more secure. Just the word, perception....well go figure, everyone has their own perception.

Depends on the PART of Trujillo you are referring to. Alta esperanza? Florencia de mora? Porvenier? Better have your small arm close by and well better off just not even going there unless you are with someone from there. The more pituco parts...yeah its a little better.

It seems - TO ME - that there are less and less tombos (pigs - cops) here now than there were in the summer.

I had heard last year they had sent a battalion of the "special police" (I love how they used this term, as if the rest of the police are just dumbasses) from Lima back in 2014 to clean things up a bit, but I just don't see it. I had also heard about the death squads back in 2013, kind of crazy but they have to keep order somehow.

There is a campaign or whatever right now "chapa tu choro" where people are taking justice into their own hands. A few weeks back in the plaza they had a pretty big protest against the violence here in front of the municipalidad. People are concerned.

Paying cupos to gangs is as normal as a drippy faucet here in northern peru.

I tread very lightly with extreme caution try not to stick out and avoid the same routines, and avoid certain areas like the plague, despite that, trujillo the city of eternal primavera - OH dont forget it is coming soon, the parade, a yearly tradition....Trujillo=tranquilo nada mas.

It has its chaos and disorder but it is an orderly chaos and disorder. One has to adapt to their surroundings not sit behind some computer and read outdated questionable stats. I love trujilllo, and trujillanas ;) Take care, cuidate.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am

teamoperu wrote:You make a good point about Peruvians we know and love being victims. Well done. Of course, their risk is the same whether we exist or not. Crime risk for his girlfriend in Trujillo likely the same whether the OP moves there to be with her or not. It might even decrease when he is with her -I suggest it would be less for her when he is beside her because the jerks pray on single vulnerable women over ones accompanied by gringos.

I scarcely know a Peruvian who hasn't been robbed. And yes, as KenB states, those poorer ones living in poor areas are more victimized. One I know in a bad area has gotten robbed multiple times per year recently, terrible. Purse snatching while in a moto, followed when she made a largish withdrawal from the bank for the school list, her money snatched at the mercado, cell phone, etc. I frequent the same areas and have never been robbed there.

I think the UK and Peru suffer from different types of crimes. One of the main reasons for high UK violent crimes is booze, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. In Peru, the general advice is you avoid certain places, full stop, and others are best avoided after dark. In the UK, it's best not to hang around town centres at closing time.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-sta ... index.html

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-sta ... lence.html

By the way, my personal advice to the OP is, once you find your feet in Peru and learn where to avoid and where's safe, you should be more worried about the traffic and bad drivers than violent crime.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:10 pm

teamoperu wrote:

Thanks for speaking up. So now we have two gringos living/lived in Trujillo, and some visiting, that have never been robbed there. And none speaking up about being robbed.

Just for your information:

http://peru21.pe/actualidad/trujillo-y- ... is-2168262

PS:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:36 am

The article states that there is crime in Peru (dah, yeah) and that it is worse in the three largest cities in Peru (dah, yeah). It also states crime in other places is very much lower ie Loreto is ½. Some smaller places I know never have had any serious crime.

Meanwhile in the USA: “The fact is, the United States leads the world in occurrence of burglaries and about four burglaries occur every minute; that’s one every 15 seconds.” Repeat: "the United States leads the world in occurrence of burglaries"

http://www.safewise.com/blog/8-surprisi ... tatistics/

Meanwhile in the USA: “According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), in New York City alone smartphone thefts increased 40 percent in just one year. In other cities the problem is even more dire. In San Francisco, about half of all robberies involved mobile phones and nationwide one in every three robberies involve a stolen cell phone. In total, 1.6 million Americans had a handheld device stolen last year. San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon has called smartphone theft, “a national epidemic.”

http://www.natlconsumersleague.org/tech ... l-epidemic
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:56 pm

gringito wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

Just for your information:

http://peru21.pe/actualidad/trujillo-y- ... is-2168262

PS:

I just read that peru21 article and what the reporter says about Arequipa reflects nothing of my close to three years of living here. I'm not saying things don't happen, but the worst I've seen is a couple of drunks getting into a fight, if you could even call it that. I know where the bad areas are and I avoid them, but I've walked around at all hours of the night from the central part of town back to the bit more upscale Cayma without incident. If you read the comments of the peru21 article just about everyone feels the same about the "quiet city." Commenters say there's no major problem with extortion and most crimes are crimes of passion.

In journalism 'if it bleeds, it leads.' Sensational stories of crime sells papers, but it's more like holding a microscope up to this city than a mirror. I can't speak to Trujillo. I think that Miguel Angel Ruiz quote can work both ways as far as not wanting to see crime or wanting to see it everywhere.

Stay vigilant, but

kenpo1st

Postby kenpo1st » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Crime is just out of control here. We decided to leave Peru next summer.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:08 pm

@ironchefchris:

The issue with "We only see what we want to see..." has a considerable drawback:

There are also people which even ignore what is CLEARLY VISIBLE in front of their nose and replace it by something more pleasant.
In psychology this is called displacement.
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 pm

I am retired from practicing criminal law in Texas. Unfortunately, the public rarely hears the dangerous details of the crimes committed. The police tell the media that they cannot comment on an ongoing investigation. When the accused pleads guilty, the details are rarely given I remember telling my friends that If they knew what I knew about the people in our jails, that they they would put an extra two locks on their doors. I personally like the system in Tacna. Neighbors look after each other. If they catch a thief, they beat the dickens out of him and then call the police to take the culprit to the hospital. From what I can tell, the police do not intervene unless the culprit dies. It is not perfect justice but it makes me feel safer.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:39 pm

It seems at times criminals have more rights than the victims.
I am all for vigilante intervention; if the punishment doesn't cause serious harm or death.
People have to "look out" for each other; criminals need to realize they will "pay a price" if they break the law. :roll:
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Crime in Peru - Some Preparation

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:34 am

I have been the subject only of cell phone theft. But I know plenty of expats who have been mugged in the street, and Peruvians as well. I think one of the keys is to have something for them to take, but not too much. So whenever possible, I try to carry a debit card with only small amounts of money, like $200 or so in the account. Plus 100 or 200 soles on hand. Then if they steal it and I have to goto the ATM, at least they will get something and not beat my wife or myself because they have zero results.

I am not sure if this is good preparation, but I know some folks who were robbed and had nothing, and the robbers just beat them in frustration. Other important items:
1.use ExTaxi whenever possible.
2.never be out alone or just as a couple in dark or risky areas
3.never get extremely drunk at a club, this is where ALOT of expats I know get robbed, either in the taxi or by someone in the club.
4.never wear fancy clothes or jewelry when out and about
5.don't trust anyone you don't know - a friend of mine was offered girls in Baranco and the fellow took him walking, then his buddies showed up and robbed by friend of his jewelery and watch (hence #4 above)
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register