Recommendation for areas: Split: "Does Humala plan a coup?"

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
lauramarinaruiz

Recommendation for areas: Split: "Does Humala plan a coup?"

Postby lauramarinaruiz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:27 am

I am Venezuelan and still living in my country. I really do not want to leave but I think I might be forced because of shortages of food and medications. The oil price has dropped again. The future really looks dramatic. I may have the chance to go and live in Peru, but I wonder if the change is really worth it or I am just moving to a country which soon might be on the brink of something similar to us. I would appreciate your advice.
Also, could you recommend an area in Lima for renting an appartment? A professional, safe, middle class area, but not terrible expensive like Miraflores. Thank you

KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Does Humala plan a coup d'état ?

Postby KenBE » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:20 pm

lauramarinaruiz wrote:Also, could you recommend an area in Lima for renting an appartment? A professional, safe, middle class area, but not terrible expensive like Miraflores. Thank you

San Miguel is a decent, reasonably safe middle class area that is cheaper than Miraflores.

lauramarinaruiz

Re: Does Humala plan a coup d'état ?

Postby lauramarinaruiz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you. I would appreciate any other suggestion so that I can have more options. And about the cost of living? I was told it is quite expensive. More than 1.000 US dollars a month? I mean, without rentals. Just food, power, phone, just the basics. Thank you
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recommendation for areas: Split: "Does Humala plan a coup?"

Postby teamoperu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:13 am

lauramarinuiz, see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94 for some good info on costs of living
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:58 am

Middle class areas in Lima are Pueblo Libre, San Miguel, Jesus Maria, San Borja, many areas of Barranco, many areas of Miraflores, Corpac in San Isidro, La Calera in Surquillo, Matellini and cedros de Villa in Chorrillos.
I recommend You to ask in Jesus maria around Residencial San felipe the cost of a mini apartment over there might be about 400 or 500 dollars,
the trio service : Tv cable plus telephone service plus internet 30 dollars basic plan, power bill 15 to 30 dollars monthly, services bill of the building might be 20 or 30 dollars, food, soap and toilet paper depends if You are austere or not but around 300 dollars. One special lunch in Jesus Maria for example cost around 10 soles or 3 dollars and if You order a la carta around 15 dollars meal and if Your budget is short You always can have discount coupons like groupon or other options to try once in a while the food of expensive restaurants or to buy airfare or Bus tickets in order to visit many cities of Peru..
AncientAlien

Postby AncientAlien » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:55 am

I live comfortably in an upper class area of Surco on $200 per month.. thats everything, my rent, food, utilities, everything.

A lot of people say you cant live that cheap, but, if you actually take the time to find a good deal, and not go overboard on your eating, or taxis and shopping, you do alright, been doing it for years.
So, to answer one of your questions, you can be very comfortable on less than $300 per month.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:22 pm

AcientAlien
I give you a lot of credit if you are living on $200.00 a month. I do not know how you do it but God bless.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:27 pm

AncientAlien wrote:I live comfortably in an upper class area of Surco on $200 per month.. thats everything, my rent, food, utilities, everything.

A lot of people say you cant live that cheap, but, if you actually take the time to find a good deal, and not go overboard on your eating, or taxis and shopping, you do alright, been doing it for years.
So, to answer one of your questions, you can be very comfortable on less than $300 per month.

How much do you spend on things like rent and food? Could you break down your expenses? I didn't know you could live in an upper class part of Lima and only spend $200 a month. :shock:
AncientAlien

Postby AncientAlien » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:48 pm

My rent is $100 per month, its basically a mini apartment, all to myself. Everything included, water, electric, internet. About s/10 a day in food.

If I indulge, go out to restaurant, fun stuff, whatever, yea its more, probably $300-$400 per month, at most, but, just with everything I need, $200 a month.

More people do it than you think, I am always surprised when others are surprised.. thats why I say, look at lamp posts, talk to watchmen, for a cheap place, gotta do the leg work, you always find something good. But most get caught up paying gringo prices for things.

Maybe I have just been here too long, or have too many friends here.. ;)
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:01 pm

AncientAlien wrote:My rent is $100 per month, its basically a mini apartment, all to myself. Everything included, water, electric, internet. About s/10 a day in food.

If I indulge, go out to restaurant, fun stuff, whatever, yea its more, probably $300-$400 per month, at most, but, just with everything I need, $200 a month.

More people do it than you think, I am always surprised when others are surprised.. thats why I say, look at lamp posts, talk to watchmen, for a cheap place, gotta do the leg work, you always find something good. But most get caught up paying gringo prices for things.

Maybe I have just been here too long, or have too many friends here.. ;)

Very interesting, thanks. I knew living a decent life on $400-500 a month was possible in the provincias but I thought it would be pretty much impossible in the more expensive parts of Lima.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register