Racism in dating and marriage in Peru?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racism in dating and marriage in Peru?

Postby clewis564 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:27 am

As a black american and after living in Lima for 8 months before returning to the U.S. for a bit I am wondering if there is racism in dating and marriage in Peru among the white peruvians? What their families or friends might think? I have gotten dates with a few different shades of peruvian girls and a couple white peruvians (spanish, Italian) background and one I knew for years but when it comes to a serious/marriage relationship it seems dynamics change. Sometimes it seems like they'll sleep with you but when it comes to marriage talk things can get complicated.

I did talk to a Peruvian woman who teaches english and spanish classes in Lima and she told me her mother told her not to date native peruvians or black men. Date white men only growing up. I was just wondering and thanks for any insight. Maybe it's a social dynamic I am missing because in many ways I experience less noticeable racism in south american than in the U.S.

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Racism in dating and marriage in Peru?

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:27 am

So many views and not one reply. I don't think anyone wants to touch this... haha.

Well, maybe I won't either! Except to say that this is probably one of those things where ones opinion entirely depends on unique personal experiences which may be completely contrary from others. So you'd probably need a bunch of opinions from various people to get even close to an accurate answer.

As to the specifics of your question, I have absolutely nothing to base an opinion on, having zero black friends here in Peru, and the topic never having come up when talking with Peruvian women. Maybe I'll ask my Peruvian wife next time we're stuck for something to chat about.. ha!

There does seem to be an honest respect for black and native culture in Peru, at least based on the shows where everyone cheers on the negroida music and the native dances. But in a way that seems kinda racist in its own way, as if these people are limited to their traditional cultures. Sort of funny/sad that just about the only black people I've seen in Peru have been the ones playing negroida music at shows.

I also find it unbelievable that it is still legal (and expected!) that you include a photo with job resumes here. Talk about making racist job hiring easy! I can't say for sure that it is rampant, but I've heard enough complaints from darker skinned friends to strongly suspect it is

Meh. Guess I'll end my non-answer here.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 pm

jghart54 wrote:So, from what I am gathering here is that you're saying only white people are racist? Typical black American. I've lived in Peru and noticed just as much racism pointed towards myself from brown and black people. Hell, to top it all off, white Peruvians looked at me funny.

That's the problem with you and your type of people. You only see racism one sided. Whites aren't the only racist people in this world. In fact, I will be willing to bet that blacks, like yourself since you brought this to the threshold of conversation, that your more racists than most if not all whites there in Peru.

I realize the thread parents post has offended you and to a certain extent you have a point. I also want to state that as someone who apparently is a white US person you have a harder time than many people understanding the effects and the insidiousness of racism. I have experienced brown on white racism particularly in Mexico where people have a certain resentment towards us and all too often that resentment is justified. I have no doubt that you have also experienced racism here in Latin America, simple truth is that white Americans are generally treated with deference throughout Latin America

However I think we would all be hard pressed to find any Peruvian that would say don't marry a gringo or don't marry a white person to their son or daughter. On the other hand there are all too many who would make a statement along the lines of I have nothing against black people as long as my children don't marry one.

Prejudice and racism are ugly things no matter who perpetrates them and no matter who the victims are. I submit that instead of criticizing each other on our perceptions that we all join forces to make a conscious decision to fight racism wherever it exists.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 pm

I didn't see anywhere that the OP said racism is one sided.

He asked about racism against black/dark skinned people, but I see nothing to indicate the OP thinks there is never racism against white people.

Not sure why I'm even responding to a first post troll, anyway. Hopefully the moderators will delete that post and the troll who posted it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 pm

This subject has come up before. Not the most positive of videos...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=25414&p=131942&hilit=racism#p131942
handleit

Postby handleit » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:This subject has come up before. Not the most positive of videos...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=25414&p=131942&hilit=racism#p131942

And before viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26949&p=139599#p139599

Is this an echo?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi all. Post locked to avoid a flame war. If you have suggestions of comments for the OP, please send him a PM.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register