Water problems in Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
worldeats

Water problems in Peru

Postby worldeats » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:39 pm

It seems to me that bacteria in the water is only one of the problems with Peruvian water. Most filters & UV light purifiers do not filter out heavy metals & chemicals prevalent in Peruvian rivers. These may not make one sick in the short run, but in the long term are a very serious health risks.

I have found a highly rated filter that is supposed to effectively filter heavy metals & bacteria. It is also compact enough to put in ones luggage.
H2Go Waterman pitcher.

I also worry about bottled water. Here in the states there have been regular scandals exposing water companies that simply fill their bottled water with tap water. Do any of the bottled water brands in Peru provide analysis of of heavy metals for their product? Are there brands that are more
trusted?

ALSO...I am pre-diabetic, and a major part of my health regime is consuming fresh raw salads and vegetable juices freshly made from leafy greens. All the travel guides say to avoid salads. Surely there must be a safe method of cleaning bacteria from leafy greens so one can make salads and fresh juices at home and not get sick? There are many vegetarian restaurants in Lima. Have they found a way to safely have salads on their menus?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water problems in Peru

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:18 pm

worldeats wrote:It seems to me that bacteria in the water is only one of the problems with Peruvian water. Most filters & UV light purifiers do not filter out heavy metals & chemicals prevalent in Peruvian rivers. These may not make one sick in the short run, but in the long term are a very serious health risks.

I have found a highly rated filter that is supposed to effectively filter heavy metals & bacteria. It is also compact enough to put in ones luggage.
H2Go Waterman pitcher.

I also worry about bottled water. Here in the states there have been regular scandals exposing water companies that simply fill their bottled water with tap water. Do any of the bottled water brands in Peru provide analysis of of heavy metals for their product? Are there brands that are more
trusted?

ALSO...I am pre-diabetic, and a major part of my health regime is consuming fresh raw salads and vegetable juices freshly made from leafy greens. All the travel guides say to avoid salads. Surely there must be a safe method of cleaning bacteria from leafy greens so one can make salads and fresh juices at home and not get sick? There are many vegetarian restaurants in Lima. Have they found a way to safely have salads on their menus?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated

drink only bottled water. put a filter on your tap for cooking, and avoid fresh salads and juice from the menus. better to make it at home after it has been thoroughly washed.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
worldeats

Postby worldeats » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Making salads & juices at home is mainly what I am looking to do. I will be living in an apartment in the Jesus Maria district. Is washing in clean water adequate for cleaning lettuce & leafy greens for raw use?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:21 pm

i always put my vegetables in a strainer, run under water and vigorously move them around with my hand. for leafy greens, you could use a "spinner" to get rid of excess water.
El Jefe

Postby El Jefe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:26 pm

Wash leafy veggies like collards and mustards in the washing machine.
Boiling water is advisable before consuming.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:43 pm

For drinking I use bottled of boiled water.
For washing my mouth after cleaning my teeth, I also use tapwater as I don't swallow the water.
For cleaning my vegies, including lettuce and tomatoes, I use tapwater.

Not really "perfect", but sofar without problems (ok, without taking into consideration possible long term effects in the event the water (in Miraflores) contains chemicals or heavy metals)
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:44 pm

El Jefe wrote:Wash leafy veggies like collards and mustards in the washing machine.

:lol:
El Jefe

Postby El Jefe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:08 pm

JanD wrote:For drinking I use bottled of boiled water.
For washing my mouth after cleaning my teeth, I also use tapwater as I don't swallow the water.
For cleaning my vegies, including lettuce and tomatoes, I use tapwater.

Not really "perfect", but sofar without problems (ok, without taking into consideration possible long term effects in the event the water (in Miraflores) contains chemicals or heavy metals)

Re cleaning teeth

Still not a good idea as your mouth/teeth/gums could absorb the tap water.
Best to rinse with bottled water.
worldeats

Postby worldeats » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Thankyou for all your helpful posts.
I did some more research and I think I found the solution. In California there was an out break of salmonella contamination spread on fresh spinach and a lot of spinach was recalled. After that a lot of group did studies to determine which washing methods were the most effective to remove bacteria from lettuce and leafy greens. They all found the same method that seems to be very effective;

Make a mixture of 3 parts water (hopefully filtered) and 1 part white vinegar. Soak your greens for about a minute or two in this solution and then rinse in clear water (hopefully sterilized & filtered) to remove the vinegar taste. The acidity of the vinegar kills all the bacteria on the surface of the greens so they can then be used safely for salads or juices. For smooth skinned fruits & veges, use a spray bottle of the vinegar solution and spray the surface of the fruit and then rinse. Hope this is helpful.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:03 pm

It is highly unlikely that any filter small enough to fit in luggage would be effective against most of the problems in Lima water. The best solution is a reverse osmosis system, and some of the ones they sell in Peru are suspect. Then if you do install one, you have to have sufficient water pressure to support it which (where I live) is a problem.

Even bottled water is becoming suspect. San Mateo is obviously some kind of processed tap water, since it leaves behind scaling and often has visible junk floating in it. San Luis is the only one I trust for now, and we've even taken to cooking with it, which becomes an expensive hassle very quickly. Then there's the problem of a lack of recycling to handle all those plastic jugs.

So water remains a real problem.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Suspiro wrote:San Luis is the only one I trust for now

X2! has the best taste as well. been buying "Cielo" in the 7 liter bottle for cooking, and the taste is a little odd.
holisticdoc

Postby holisticdoc » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 am

How is the water around Iquitos, specifically the tributary rivers like Nanay?
symby a wonk

Postby symby a wonk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm

When I wash food or do the washing up or take a bath, I put a few drops of Clorox in the water. It kills all bacterias.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register