New to Lima from California

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
melanieb

New to Lima from California

Postby melanieb » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi,

My name is Melanie and I just moved to Lima (Miraflores) from California and would love some tips and maybe to meet up for a coffee or drink with people. Also if anyone knows of a good spot to practice yoga let me know! My email address is [email protected] if you want to contact me directly.

Thanks!

SoCal21
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New to Lima from California

Postby SoCal21 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello Melanie,

Check your Gmail because I sent you a message that includes my Facebook contact info.

What part of California are you from? I'm not an expat but am an Angelino.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm

First tip is don't give out your real name on a public forum.

You need to be very careful with your identity in Peru. Remember you're now in a country with widespread poverty and crime is rampant. Any gringo is automatically a special target of interest and a woman especially so.

I recommend you edit your first post to delete your email address which gives out your last name, and then modify your FB privacy settings so the public can't see your photos or personal info (I just checked to see if I could look you up on FB and... yep!). People on the forum can reach you via private message and don't need your email address so don't post it.

I don't want to overly scare you, but unfortunately you should assume that any Peruvian you come across will try to screw you over until proven otherwise. You need to boost your paranoid setting just a bit... because it isn't paranoia if they're really out to get you ;-)

Be smart, be careful, assume that people here are trying to take advantage of you (because they probably are). There are really fantastic good people here too, but you need to get to know people really well before you lower your guard.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 pm

welcome to Lima, Peru Melanie from another Californian. you have probably found Miraflores to be quite accommodating. there are lots of expats in that area of Lima. good food and coffee in abundance. agree with gringolandia about disclosing too much info.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Elektrify

Postby Elektrify » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:39 am

gringolandia wrote:First tip is don't give out your real name on a public forum.

You need to be very careful with your identity in Peru. Remember you're now in a country with widespread poverty and crime is rampant. Any gringo is automatically a special target of interest and a woman especially so.

I recommend you edit your first post to delete your email address which gives out your last name, and then modify your FB privacy settings so the public can't see your photos or personal info (I just checked to see if I could look you up on FB and... yep!). People on the forum can reach you via private message and don't need your email address so don't post it.

I don't want to overly scare you, but unfortunately you should assume that any Peruvian you come across will try to screw you over until proven otherwise. You need to boost your paranoid setting just a bit... because it isn't paranoia if they're really out to get you ;-)

Be smart, be careful, assume that people here are trying to take advantage of you (because they probably are). There are really fantastic good people here too, but you need to get to know people really well before you lower your guard.

Way to overreact. If anyone will be looking for a target do you think they will come to this site? They will just go to any tourist place and there will be plenty "targets" there. I hope you do not live in Peru if you have the idea any Peruvian you come across will try to screw you. Instead of welcoming her and sending her good vibes, you scared her out right away. I feel sorry about your paranoia. Maybe you should move somewhere else :wink:
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:30 pm

You know who told me Peruvians would try to screw me over? Peruvians.

And they back up the assertion with real stories of Peruvians trying to screw over other people and jokingly refer to it as the "Peruvian way".

And there have been plenty of occasions in my own experience here where being aware of this and being dilligently cautious has spared me major trouble.

As far as trawling this website to find marks, who knows. But if scammers will go through garbage to find personal into to use in scams (and they do) then it isn't a stretch to imagine someone using info from here for the same purpose.

Not an overreaction at all. Best to maintain a policy of anonymity and make exceptions as appropriate than to make your real identity known to all.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:29 pm

I don't know if I'd be overly worried about people trawling this forum looking for marks - but you never know so better to play it safe. I'd be worried that a person who is so loose with putting out their personal info online signifies that they might be just as loose with their info (and safety) in general. Seemed like a fair and friendly warning to me.

People put all sorts of personal info online. Full names, phone #'s, addresses (physical and electronic), even dates of birth. Maybe they're just more trusting or don't even think that doing so might come back to bite them in the behind some day.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register