CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 am
Location: Miraflores/Lima

CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby JanD » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Since a couple of months I have serious internet problems with my CLARO cellphone (Samsung Galaxy S5).

As long as I stay in my house using the WIFI connection, there is no problem at all: I can use all apps, without any problem (OK I also have a very slow WIFI connection, but that is another story).
However as soon as I leave the house and my cellphone changes to a 4G connection, I can use my apps (Inet radio, YouTube, Internet Browser, etc.) exactly(!) 12 minutes, after which the internet is disconnected.
The only programs I can use from those 12minutes are WhatsApp and Facebook.
The strange thing is that there is a (sometimes strong) internet signal according to my "cellphone internet indication" and an app called "Network Signal Info" I installed on my cellphone (also the fact that WhatsApp and Facebook still work, means that there is a signal).

I have been two times to the CLARO office in Av.Larco/MF, where I spent each time more than one hour and a half trying to get a solution.

The first time they came to the conclusion that:
a) I had used my whole 1.000MB (in five days with only 12minutes of inet a day!), but also that my chip was corrupted. So they installed another chip ànd gave me (for free :( ) 500MB.
I protested asking them to explain that how the hell it is possible to use within five days 1.000MB with only 12 minutes per day of 4G inet available ànd moreover: that I still could use 4G inet during those twelve minutes, despite the fact that I was supposed to have used all my MB's.
For the consuming part he came with a weird story that probably I thought I was using my WIFI but in reality had used my 4G connection and consumed the MB's. For the 12 minutes of internet he had no answer at all.
So, with a bit of sarcasm in my voice I asked him whether he still remembered why basicly I was here: "NO internet through my 4G connection!"
But at the end I accepted (my new chip seemed to work after all and 500MB should be sufficient as I normally use 4G inet only 3 hours a day max).

The first day all seemed OK: I had my early morning run/walk and during two hours my inet worked without any problem.

However from the second day exactly the same problem occurred: after 12 minutes my apps were blocked from the 4G inet (with the exception of WhatsApp and Facebook (those apps and Twitter are by the way also "free of charge").

So, after a week or so facing the same problem each and every morning, I went back to the CLARO office in Av.Larco/MF.
Where I had the same, this time two hour's, discussion.
They insisted that I had used all my MB's, although their own app on my cellphone indicated that I had still 480MB (but they said that that program is not reliable).

I became "a bit annoyed" and asked "how the f.ck" I could consume all those MB's with only 12 minutes a day 4G inet ànd how it was possible still to use 4G inet (OK, for 12 minutes), while they claim that I had no more MB's available.

At the end the guy at the counter filled in a "Formulario de Reclamo" (it took him 20 minutes to fill in a form with only my personal data, tel.nbr. and to tick one box :cry: ) and promised that they would investigate and reply asap.

It is not a surprise, that I have NO confidence at all in CLARO and their ability or even their willingness to solve my problem!

I think that there is something in their chip or my (CLARO!) cellphone, which, after 12 minutes, cuts of the internet to apps other than Facebook, WhatsApp (and Twitter). Those are "redes sociales" which do not consume MB's according to their contract.
Could also be that the communication within their IT systems is crap!

When I write this, I still have 456MB to go, had my 12 minutes of "4G inet fame" this morning and that's it!

Is there anyone here who is familiar with this problem and/or can give advice how to solve this problem?
Should I make a complaint with OSIPTEL or what is the best thing to do?
Thanks!


User avatar
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby Polaron » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:17 pm

In 2009 I had problems with my Claro cell phone. It wasn't working and the people at the company insisted that it was working. Bear in mind that the people you speak with are not employees of Claro but instead are employees of a company that performs the customer service function on your provider's behalf. There is a solution. 5 years ago the president of AT&T was on the board of directors of a company called America Movil. I wrote a letter of complaint to his office and very quickly was contacted by management and the problem was solved



I suggest you look on the internet for directors for America Movil ( parent company of Claro) and then contact one of them. Hopefully they will be as helpful now as they were a few years ago. In any event I wish you best wishes.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
User avatar
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Lima

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby fanning » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50 pm

For our company we have both Claro and Entel celular phones. Actually we used to be exclusively with Claro, but because their (business) customer support really sucks, I am changing slowly by slowly to Entel. ( It really took 4 months to solve a change of plans, and their erroneous billing ! )

Our salesrep of Entel tells us that Claro doesn't really have 4G infrastructure ( Entel does ! ), so your Internet with Claro always will be slower.
I can confirm this as my wife still has Claro, and I switched to Entel, and Internet on my phone is simply faster than on her phone.
Also at least in our area ( downtown Miraflores ) Entel has better reception than Claro. My sister in law has also better reception with Entel on Malecon Cisneros.
You can actually keep your number, and change to another operator ( like Entel ) while the new operator gives you very good rates for a new phone with 'portabilidad'. They give you a bonus for changing operator !

And as most plans make no distinction in which operator you actually call, it doesn't really matter if you are with Claro, Movistar or Entel ( for example I have unlimited within Entel, and 800 minutes to other operators, while I use maybe 200 minutes .. )
User avatar
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby gringolandia » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:43 pm

JanD wrote: They insisted that I had used all my MB's, although their own app on my cellphone indicated that I had still 480MB (but they said that that program is not reliable).


As long as you have the correct day of the month that your plan rolls over configured in the Data Usage app, it is actually pretty accurate. It can be off a little bit here and there due to data your phone thinks it sent (or data the tower thinks it sent to you) but which was actually lost to static, but that isn't a significant amount. I've never had it be off by more than about 10%, and usually quite a bit less than that.

Is there a number you can text to get the status of your plan? It would be nice to use that to track how many MB Claro thinks you have left, and keep checking that a couple times every day to see if it matches what is showing as your Data Usage on the phone.

I think they're jacking you around.

However, to eliminate the possibility that there is something wonky with your phone you could do a full factory reset of the phone (Google the instructions). Make sure you backup all your photos and personal info before doing that, though.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Yep Claro are a joke at the moment. i'm supposed to have 2gb of internet allowance per month, does it work, does it hell! it worked for maybe two days last month. facebook and whatsapp are free and even they don't work most of the time.

Then there's the connection at home. This cuts out almost every hour and the service can be slow as well. TBH over the last two years i've just given up on expecting things like internet, plumbing, electrical items and repairmen to work correctly in Peru. It's the best mindset to have as it prevents your hopes being crushed like a tank rolling over a poorly constructed Peruvian brick wall!
western world

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby western world » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:38 pm

JanD wrote:Since a couple of months I have serious internet problems with my CLARO cellphone (Samsung Galaxy S5).

As long as I stay in my house using the WIFI connection, there is no problem at all: I can use all apps, without any problem (OK I also have a very slow WIFI connection, but that is another story).
However as soon as I leave the house and my cellphone changes to a 4G connection, I can use my apps (Inet radio, YouTube, Internet Browser, etc.) exactly(!) 12 minutes, after which the internet is disconnected.
The only programs I can use from those 12minutes are WhatsApp and Facebook.
The strange thing is that there is a (sometimes strong) internet signal according to my "cellphone internet indication" and an app called "Network Signal Info" I installed on my cellphone (also the fact that WhatsApp and Facebook still work, means that there is a signal).

I have been two times to the CLARO office in Av.Larco/MF, where I spent each time more than one hour and a half trying to get a solution.

The first time they came to the conclusion that:
a) I had used my whole 1.000MB (in five days with only 12minutes of inet a day!), but also that my chip was corrupted. So they installed another chip ànd gave me (for free :( ) 500MB.
I protested asking them to explain that how the hell it is possible to use within five days 1.000MB with only 12 minutes per day of 4G inet available ànd moreover: that I still could use 4G inet during those twelve minutes, despite the fact that I was supposed to have used all my MB's.
For the consuming part he came with a weird story that probably I thought I was using my WIFI but in reality had used my 4G connection and consumed the MB's. For the 12 minutes of internet he had no answer at all.
So, with a bit of sarcasm in my voice I asked him whether he still remembered why basicly I was here: "NO internet through my 4G connection!"
But at the end I accepted (my new chip seemed to work after all and 500MB should be sufficient as I normally use 4G inet only 3 hours a day max).

The first day all seemed OK: I had my early morning run/walk and during two hours my inet worked without any problem.

However from the second day exactly the same problem occurred: after 12 minutes my apps were blocked from the 4G inet (with the exception of WhatsApp and Facebook (those apps and Twitter are by the way also "free of charge").

So, after a week or so facing the same problem each and every morning, I went back to the CLARO office in Av.Larco/MF.
Where I had the same, this time two hour's, discussion.
They insisted that I had used all my MB's, although their own app on my cellphone indicated that I had still 480MB (but they said that that program is not reliable).

I became "a bit annoyed" and asked "how the f.ck" I could consume all those MB's with only 12 minutes a day 4G inet ànd how it was possible still to use 4G inet (OK, for 12 minutes), while they claim that I had no more MB's available.

At the end the guy at the counter filled in a "Formulario de Reclamo" (it took him 20 minutes to fill in a form with only my personal data, tel.nbr. and to tick one box :cry: ) and promised that they would investigate and reply asap.

It is not a surprise, that I have NO confidence at all in CLARO and their ability or even their willingness to solve my problem!

I think that there is something in their chip or my (CLARO!) cellphone, which, after 12 minutes, cuts of the internet to apps other than Facebook, WhatsApp (and Twitter). Those are "redes sociales" which do not consume MB's according to their contract.
Could also be that the communication within their IT systems is crap!

When I write this, I still have 456MB to go, had my 12 minutes of "4G inet fame" this morning and that's it!

Is there anyone here who is familiar with this problem and/or can give advice how to solve this problem?
Should I make a complaint with OSIPTEL or what is the best thing to do?
Thanks!


Simple explanation. You're on the 12 minute plan. :wink:
User avatar
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby FDiH » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:36 am

If you port over from Claro to Entel (business), do you get to keep you cel number, landline number, etc?
User avatar
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Lima

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby fanning » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:43 pm

FDiH wrote:If you port over from Claro to Entel (business), do you get to keep you cel number, landline number, etc?

I can only talk for the celular part. Yes we changed all our businesslines from Claro to Entel, and kept our old numbers
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: CLARO (serious) internet problems 4G/cellphone

Postby woodchuck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 am

Take a few BIG gringos to Claro's office & start dismantling it!
They (like so many businesses in Peru) have no concept of - customer service.
Once they feel similar to you (in a different way of course); they may change their attitude & policies.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register