Sexual Harassment on the Streets

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
cross eyed mary

Sexual Harassment on the Streets

Postby cross eyed mary » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11 am

Hi all,
First time poster here.
I stumbled upon this forum and thought I'd join up.
Anyway, my story.
I just returned to the U.S. from Peru after visiting a friend.
Overall, I had a good trip (it was my first time out of the country & enjoyed seeing my friend again and catching up on old times)except for the constant woofing and whistling I got from the men there whilst walking the streets.
I even had a couple of men pinch my tush as I was walking.
I don't speak Spanish so I just turned around and glared at them.
Honestly, this crap got very annoying to the point that I didn't want to even leave my friend's flat.
I asked her (a Peruana) and she just laughed and said the men are dogs here.
I couldn't believe she dismissed it so causally and i got a little bit angry that she wasn't offended like I was.
This behavior has never happened to me before in the U.S.
The men here are more reserved almost shy.
And I'm no beauty queen either. Just plain looking and a little curvy.
Is this exclusively a Peru thing?
Since this behavior apparently is accepted here, do the men on this forum think its okay to whistle at women & act like dogs?
I'm assuming most of you men are expats.
Have you assimilated to the culture and also behave like this?

Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sexual Harassment on the Streets

Postby Slippery Jack » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:01 am

Well, it's a good job that you don't come from the US. Oh, you do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
MaryFark

Postby MaryFark » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Slippery Jack wrote:Well, it's a good job that you don't come from the US. Oh, you do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Hi, My name is Mary too.
I do not understand the point of the vid, you took the trouble to Google. Are you saying because it happens in the US it is ok? Because you chose a vid of a woman who sat herself up for an expected outcome in New York City where she knew what the result would be. Let me tell you this is not representative of America and probably does not represent where Mary comes from, either. So what was your point? I am a woman that has traveled across Europe and am from America and have never endured the harassment I receive in Peru. Pinches on the bottom? Oh yes. A crime anywhere else in the world.
cross eyed mary

Postby cross eyed mary » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Mary!
Nice to meet you.
It's disappointing that the men on this forum haven't offered their opinion on this.
Their silence leads me to believe that they condone butt pinching.
Either that or they're gay.
camerello

Postby camerello » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi, allow me to be not only the first male to comment but also a Peruvian born male who grew up as an American in the US. I have returned to Peru
(to stay). Now, I hate when women stereotype all men as I am sure any woman hates when anyone specially a man stereotypes a woman, such as a gold digger or any other derogatory remark. Both are ridiculous and in response to some of the comments directed at the men I felt compelled to say something." NO, IT IS NOT OK FOR ANYONE TO PUT THEIR HANDS ON ANYONE - Here in Peru or anywhere else on Earth. Let me first say how sorry I am, just as another human being, that any of you have had such a violating experience. Men considered "dogs" exist everywhere; however, some cultures where machismo is prevalent in large numbers, the men seem to believe it is a God given right to behave in such ways that insult, diminish and violate women. I don't believe the behavior is accepted any more here than in the US. In fact; I believe that Peruvian women don't put up with that SH_ _. I say this because I am out and about all over Lima from el Callao to the center of Lima to Miraflores and San Isidro. Women, have an expectation of respect from men and when they feel disrespected they don't hesitate for a second to express themselves, even to the point of striking a man. I wonder what your Peruvian female friend would have done in your shoes. One thing I do know for sure, and this is in many Peruvians, men and women, when they know your a foreigner; they are more likely to want to take advantage in some way. I wonder what might have happened if language wasn't a challenge and you would have responded in a verbal manner or another way other than the angry glare. I don't know the answer to that but I would like to believe you may have retaliated in some way. That being said; it is unfortunate and wrong for any man (a stranger) to touch a woman in any way, shape or form. You know; that sort of behavior is not very common in the US and I know that a woman would be compelled and within her right to report the guy, file sexual harassment charges and an arrest carried out. I don't really know what the laws are in that regard here; however, I do believe the police would respond to such if called upon. Personally, I think most women here in Peru wouldn't hesitate in smacking the SH_ _ out of the guy and maybe more. The bottom line is this. That type of behavior is not acceptable here in Peru. Unfortunately; many men in different cultures take on such liberties but I believe that is an individual choice. Even more unfortunate is that it tends to happen more in some cultures where machismo behavior is more common than in others. Peru has a long way to go in the way of self respect and respect and consideration for and of others and that applies to both men and women. It isn't just in this area where injustices are carried out as though part of a natural act. Again, I am very sorry that any woman has had that violating experience here or any part of the world. That could have been my wife, my daughter, my sister which would not have made it any worst, I would just be more enraged.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register