Be careful - Mercado Libre!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Be careful - Mercado Libre!

Postby woodchuck » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:07 pm

I have tried with several major purchases to negotiate a price with the seller.
In each instance, Mercado Libre/ML warned me for not following their rules.
Each time I questioned what I was doing wrong; I never received any replies - until today.
So difficult to deal with - incompetence/unprofessionalism.
Does anyone else have any issues with ML?
My account was SUSPENDED, but I appealed this & their reply is as follows: :roll:

Hola, ¿cómo estás?
Gracias por contactarte. Mi nombre es Angel, soy representante de Atención al cliente y te ayudaré con tu consulta.
Revisamos tus publicaciones y comprobamos que cometimos un error al suspender tu cuenta. Te pedimos disculpas por las molestias que esto te pudo haber causado.

En las próximas 24 horas habilitaremos tu cuenta nuevamente y podrás volver a vender. Si tenías artículos publicados, se reactivarán.

Si tienes alguna duda, por favor, contactate nuevamente con nosotros.
¡Éxitos en tus próximas compras y ventas!

Feliz día.

Angel

Ayuda.

MercadoLibre

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Be careful - Mercado Libre!

Postby gringolandia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm

And?

Your post is so vague I have no idea what you are talking about.

What were you doing that they thought was wrong?
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Were you trying to negotiate after clicking on the decision to purchase the item or were you simply sending an offer to the seller without hitting the purchase button? MercadoLibre.com usually suspends an account only if there are what they consider to be repeated violations of their terms of service. This does not mean that they did not make a mistake in your case.

To enjoy life and protect your sanity it is important that you not view practices and philosophies and behaviors in Peru and Latin America using United States or Canadian or northern European standards. I'm not saying that they are better or less desirable improving standards only that they're different. I know it is frustrating but for Gringos who go to Latin America it's very much as if they went to a different planet; that is truly the extent to which we differ culturally.

I have never had problems with MercadoLibre, but I have had some unpleasant experiences with eBay. The many times I have tried to contact eBay in the past have usually almost always resulted in utter silence on their part, so maybe it's just the way that industry works.

I hope you're able to get your issues resolved I know how difficult and challenging it can be to live in a foreign country. Best wishes
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:35 pm

I was sending messages to the sellers about offering a lower price for the items.
I didn't see any rules about - no negotiations, but someone screwed up.
Each time my messages were deleted & I ending up buying the items somewhere else.
Mercado Libre/ML lost my business & so did the sellers.

When I appealed, ML sent me an apology email - which I added to my original post.
My account was re-opened & I purchased some Tunki coffee today.
I don't have time for this nonsense & will use ML only as a last resort.
PS - Doubt I could file a complaint with Indecopi as ML has no physical presence in Peru. :roll:
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:22 pm

I've never had a problem with MercadoLibre are the merchants their butt some of my Peruvian friends have suggested I not use it.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:27 pm

I've never had a problem with Mercado Libre or any merchants who use Mercado Libre. Then again I'm not a regular user.

On many items, down in the questions to the merchant section, I see plenty of people who make offers lower than the asking price or ask what the price would be if they changed this for that. Unless it's a ridiculously low offer, I see that there is always a response.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:22 pm

They have now this Mercadopago, which is perfect for buyers protection. I bought a office365 renovation, and paid directly to ML. The seller gave me something else, and after opening a complaint I got a full money back, which I used with another seller. ( They don't actually give back the money, but keep it as a credit. You could get it back in cash, but I didn't click on that, so I don't know if there would be a commission or something )

And for delivering stuff I always have it send to my work address, which is a public place, so it don't generate security issues, and I can check the product before paying. In some occasions I had to go to a shop in Compupalace, and the shop was closed, that was a negative experience, so since then I pay the 5 to 8 soles delivery and don't need to worry about nothing.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:40 am

ML has an automatic computarized system that prevent some words to be wrritten into our question.

For example if you ask something like "te puedo pagar por western union", then the question is banned.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:47 am

I am not making ridiculous offers; maybe 50 soles discount on a 800-900 soles item.
Possibly I am using one of these prohibited words, but they never reply to my emails.
ML is a good place to see what is available on a certain product, but they must make the buying experience more consumer friendly.
After I file a complaint, I receive an apology letter saying ML was wrong.
Thanks. :roll:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register