Internet Reliability - Movistar or Claro?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!

Which ISP provides the best Internet service?

Claro
25%
Movistar
75%
Entel
No votes
Bitel
No votes
OLO
No votes

Total votes: 4
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Internet Reliability - Movistar or Claro?

Postby jwhmilne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Hey everyone.

I get by here in Lima by teaching English online, which many of you also do. The worst thing about this is having such a large amount of dependency on companies such as Claro and Movistar as ISPs.

I want to know what you all think about the quality, reliability and service of Claro / Movistar.
I've been with Claro for about a year now and it started out fine, with a few hiccups which I'll list below:

- When the Internet goes down (something that is happening more and more frequently in recent months), they take about 48 hours to send a technician.
    - When the technician finally arrives, the solution is usually temporary, almost every time I have had to call Claro back to say "Nope. That didn't work... still got delay/connectivity issues."
    - Technicians never come at the right time
    - General customer service is awful, if this were a company in a Western civilization it wouldn't stand a chance
    - UPLOAD SPEED isn't specified in the contract anymore, I have 8MB connection and get about 0.8Mbps upload, which does fine for my job

Right now I'm having a lot of connectivity and delay problems, I can just about teach but it's not going well with all the disconnections and delay. It's hugely frustrating.

What are your experiences?

TLdr; should I switch to Movistar from Claro?
Attachments
Taiwan Server.JPG
This is my connection to a server in Taiwan - the high ping is to be expected. [8MB CLARO]
Taiwan Server.JPG (235.24 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Local Server.JPG
This is my local server connection. [8MB CLARO]
Local Server.JPG (256.08 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Joe Milne
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Internet Reliability - Movistar or Claro?

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:03 pm

We have movistar with 40mega (of course, you never really get this). We lose the signal from time to time, and suffer a bit from congestion in the early evening. I notice a big drop in speed between catching a wifi signal close to the router, and plugging in directly, which is invariably much, much faster. That's probably obvious, but I mention it just in case.

A computer technician told me something interesting recently that you might want to check out. He has one of these stands in a galleria in SJM where he does cell phone repair. According to him, a lot of the repairs are software based, so he constantly needed to download large files and Movistar was driving him crazy, so he got a dedicated data line with Americatel. https://www.americatel.com.pe/contenidos.php?ic=8 I forget who much it was costing him, but I remember thinking at the time that it was a really reasonable price. He is immensely happy with the speed he gets. If you work on line, it might be worth giving them a call.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:15 pm

I have Movistar at 20Mbps and it is fine. Seems reliable enough, and I do plenty of big downloads.

The customer service is horrible and their internal bureaucracy is insane, but it helps that I know some high level people at Telefonica if I get the run around.
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Alan wrote:We have movistar with 40mega (of course, you never really get this). We lose the signal from time to time, and suffer a bit from congestion in the early evening. I notice a big drop in speed between catching a wifi signal close to the router, and plugging in directly, which is invariably much, much faster. That's probably obvious, but I mention it just in case.

A computer technician told me something interesting recently that you might want to check out. He has one of these stands in a galleria in SJM where he does cell phone repair. According to him, a lot of the repairs are software based, so he constantly needed to download large files and Movistar was driving him crazy, so he got a dedicated data line with Americatel. https://www.americatel.com.pe/contenidos.php?ic=8 I forget who much it was costing him, but I remember thinking at the time that it was a really reasonable price. He is immensely happy with the speed he gets. If you work on line, it might be worth giving them a call.

I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks so much for your advice.
My main issue is upload speed - I really need fast upload speed to do online classes as I'm constantly streaming video.

Cheers again, Alan.
Joe Milne
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:38 pm

We have been with Movistar for many years. There has been the odd occasion when they have had extended break downs and poor engineering service, but generally we are happy with the service. The biggest let-down is cheap equipment, but once that was changed it has been pretty good. They are very eager to compensate for the poor service with extra band width etc.
Attachments
Shot186.jpg
Shot186.jpg (174.1 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
Shot185.jpg
Shot185.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:42 pm

gringolandia wrote:I have Movistar at 20Mbps and it is fine. Seems reliable enough, and I do plenty of big downloads.

The customer service is horrible and their internal bureaucracy is insane, but it helps that I know some high level people at Telefonica if I get the run around.

So you have a 20MB plan? How much is it? Would you mind sending me a screenshot of a speedtest?
Joe Milne
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:43 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:We have been with Movistar for many years. There has been the odd occasion when they have had extended break downs and poor engineering service, but generally we are happy with the service. The biggest let-down is cheap equipment, but once that was changed it has been pretty good. They are very eager to compensate for the poor service with extra band width etc.

Hi Adrian, what plan do you use?
Joe Milne
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:23 pm

jwhmilne wrote:Hey everyone.

I get by here in Lima by teaching English online, which many of you also do. The worst thing about this is having such a large amount of dependency on companies such as Claro and Movistar as ISPs.

I want to know what you all think about the quality, reliability and service of Claro / Movistar.
I've been with Claro for about a year now and it started out fine, with a few hiccups which I'll list below:

- When the Internet goes down (something that is happening more and more frequently in recent months), they take about 48 hours to send a technician.
    - When the technician finally arrives, the solution is usually temporary, almost every time I have had to call Claro back to say "Nope. That didn't work... still got delay/connectivity issues."
    - Technicians never come at the right time
    - General customer service is awful, if this were a company in a Western civilization it wouldn't stand a chance
    - UPLOAD SPEED isn't specified in the contract anymore, I have 8MB connection and get about 0.8Mbps upload,
    which does fine for my job

Right now I'm having a lot of connectivity and delay problems, I can just about teach but it's not going well with all the disconnections and delay. It's hugely frustrating.

What are your experiences?

TLdr; should I switch to Movistar from Claro?

Yep, i'm with Claro and all of the above are problems i'm struggling with including the upload speed. They have been utter $¤¡¥! For all of this year. The connection constantly cuts out, i have huge problems watching youtube without it cutting out so i have to reduce the quality to 240 to get by which even then doesn't always work. Don't get me started either on paying Claro for internet for the mobile but not actually ever getting the internet on the phone despite constant calls to complain.

I've given up hope of any repairman in Peru doing a good job at anything so i just put up and suffer with it like a total mug now adays. Current success rate with a Peruvian repairman is around 10%, i literally can't stand the sight of them.

Unfortunately the lack of any competition here means these companies just get away with treating customers like dirt and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it!
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:56 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:I've given up hope of any repairman in Peru doing a good job at anything so i just put up and suffer with it like a total mug now adays. Current success rate with a Peruvian repairman is around 10%, i literally can't stand the sight of them.

Unfortunately the lack of any competition here means these companies just get away with treating customers like dirt and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it!

Oh, how I feel your pain.

The other day the technicians were supposed to come 3-4pm. They came at 5:50pm. I challenged them saying "What do you want?" at the door. They were like uhhh.. la cita.. para.. uhh... I said "Si, la cita era a las tres a cuatro.. entonces..?"

The guy was like "Noo.. It was at 4-5."
I said "It's f--ing ten to six.."
he laughed.. he f--ing laughed.

They rile me so much I hate that people get away with this.
Joe Milne
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:54 pm

If it´s any consolation, I´m pretty sure internet/cable/cell phone providers are hated for pretty much the same reasons all over the world.

For a minute I thought having really dodgy internet service (Claro) on my phone was just me. Customer service is either waiting on hold to be told they don´t know what the problem is, and that I should go down to the Claro service center where I´ll have to wait in line for a few hours. I usually just pop into an authorized reseller store and hope someone there can help. Beats waiting in line.
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:55 pm

ironchefchris wrote:If it´s any consolation, I´m pretty sure internet/cable/cell phone providers are hated for pretty much the same reasons all over the world.

You make a good point.

To anyone reading this, the following happened to me today:

We were waiting for the technician to come 1-2pm, Saturday August 6th.
At 2:30pm we called. They said "Yeah, they're coming soon."

We called again at 6:30pm. They said they canceled the appointment, they have our contact information, didn't call, didn't tell us. They said it was because they were problems in the area with Internet for a few hours today, but it's ''fixed''. My problem has been persistent all week.
We asked why they didn't call, no real answer given.
We asked what happens with our complaints, no real answer given.

We just have to wait another 24 hours, again, to receive a call for another technician. We didn't eat lunch, we waited. 1-6:30pm. Like idiots. AGAIN.

Frankly, they're f--ing numbskulls and they make me sick to my stomach.
It sincerely is an absolute lack of empathy.

I may as well close this topic, the injustice alone is just too depressing and gives me a headache.
Joe Milne
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:04 pm

I have had problems with Claro in the past, and this strategy has worked for me. I haven't had to use it and six years so things may have changed. Back then I Googled the board of directors for America Movil. That's the Mexican parent company of claro. On that board I noticed the CEO of AT&T was one of the directors of America Movil.. so I Googled his email address and send a complaint to him. Within a day I got a call back from a manager at claro not the third party Outsource call center that use. My problems were swiftly resolved.
Last edited by Polaron on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:16 pm

jwhmilne wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:If it´s any consolation, I´m pretty sure internet/cable/cell phone providers are hated for pretty much the same reasons all over the world.

You make a good point.

To anyone reading this, the following happened to me today:

We were waiting for the technician to come 1-2pm, Saturday August 6th.
At 2:30pm we called. They said "Yeah, they're coming soon."

We called again at 6:30pm. They said they canceled the appointment, they have our contact information, didn't call, didn't tell us. They said it was because they were problems in the area with Internet for a few hours today, but it's ''fixed''. My problem has been persistent all week.
We asked why they didn't call, no real answer given.
We asked what happens with our complaints, no real answer given.

We just have to wait another 24 hours, again, to receive a call for another technician. We didn't eat lunch, we waited. 1-6:30pm. Like idiots. AGAIN.

Frankly, they're f--ing numbskulls and they make me sick to my stomach.
It sincerely is an absolute lack of empathy.

I may as well close this topic, the injustice alone is just too depressing and gives me a headache.

They just don't give a crap is the problem. Once they have your money why should they is their attitude. I would say your best bet is just to change servers as i've heard they treat long term customers like crap and the recent sign ups better.

At times i've just had it with Peru and just wanted to go home soley because of the attitude of things like internet providers and repairmen. Call me old fashioned but i like to know that if i go for a shower that the water will work, i like not having to balance objects against plugs so that the plug will stay in a socket, or that sockets are contected to the wall correctly, or the fact i won't get electrocuted if i plug something into a socket (seriously i've been electrocuted so many times i'm amazed i'm alive!), or the fact when something gets repaired that it works for years (not days/weeks) after and that ever tap doesn't leak.

Wheni go home i really do feel like Tom Hanks at the end of the film Castaway when he uses the lighter and reflexs on his struggles at surviving as a castaway.

The worst thing is the hope if you ask me. The hope when you get a new repairman and build up that false sense of a new horizon and for younto come crashing back down to reality with an almight bump!
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:07 am

jwhmilne wrote:
gringolandia wrote:I have Movistar at 20Mbps and it is fine. Seems reliable enough, and I do plenty of big downloads.

So you have a 20MB plan? How much is it? Would you mind sending me a screenshot of a speedtest?

My wife handles the bills so I don't happen to know the cost off-hand. But I know that the reason we chose the 20 Mbps plan was because the price went up faster than the internet speed after that speed. Last I checked, the 20 Mbps plan from Movistar is significantly cheaper than the 20 Mbps plan from Claro, but as you go to faster speeds the difference gets smaller. So for me, 20 Mbps is the sweet spot right now.

I've heard some people here claim they got upgraded to 40 Mbps from 20 Mbps for "free" (or almost nothing) but no such offer has been extended to us yet.

Here's a link to my speed test results: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5534330825

(By the way, 20 MB is very different from 20 Mb... MB is Megabytes, Mb is megabits)
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:55 am

gringolandia wrote:

I've heard some people here claim they got upgraded to 40 Mbps from 20 Mbps for "free" (or almost nothing) but no such offer has been extended to us yet.

It is worth giving Telefonica a call to ask the details of the plan you currently have, and ways for you to improve it. That's how we were boosted up to 40mega. It wasn't exactly "free", but if memory serves, we negotiated fewer minutes on our land line, which we hardly ever use any more. They were actually pretty helpful.
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Polaron wrote:Joanne had problems with Claro in the past, and this strategy has worked for me. I haven't had to use it and six years so things may have changed. Back then I Googled the board of directors for America Movil. That's the Mexican parent company of claro. On that board I noticed the CEO of AT&T was one of the directors of America Movil.. so I Googled his email address and send a complaint to him. Within a day I got a call back from a manager at claro not the third party Outsource call center that use. My problems were swiftly resolved.

This definitely sounds like something I need to follow up on, thank you Polaron.
Did you write them in English or in Spanish?
Joe Milne
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:23 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Wheni go home i really do feel like Tom Hanks at the end of the film Castaway when he uses the lighter and reflexs on his struggles at surviving as a castaway.

I hear you, after 2 years.. I feel the same man.
Joe Milne
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:30 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to all of your replies so far - keep them coming!
I really appreciate it.
Joe Milne
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Joe when we first changed to Movistar UNO several years ago, we had quite a few problems. It was an 8Mbs bandwidth, HD to four televisions and telephone service with free local calls. When the engineer eventually arrived minus any tools and only a badge on his boiler suit, I decided to gauge everything. Removed all the taped joints, installing plated junction boxes in three places and ran new cable to the modem. The system has been great and near the max speed of 40Mbs. We increased the service to 16Mbs and receive 24Mbs as a freebie in compensation for bad service. The modem is a cheepy, which I tethered a TP Link router to help, but the TP does fall off daily, causing breaks in streaming to the TV. I am hoping to upgrade in a few weeks when a new modem and router arrive from the States.
Other than that there have been two three and four day district wide breaks in service over the last two years.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:07 pm

I wrote to the CEO of AT+T IN English.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Alan wrote:
gringolandia wrote:

It is worth giving Telefonica a call to ask the details of the plan you currently have, and ways for you to improve it. That's how we were boosted up to 40mega. It wasn't exactly "free", but if memory serves, we negotiated fewer minutes on our land line, which we hardly ever use any more. They were actually pretty helpful.

Honestly, I'm leaving well enough alone at this point. The last time we upgraded our speed from 15 Mbps to 20 Mbps (after having temporarily been at 100 Mbps for the three months trial period), we ended up at 10 Mbps after they messed up the order. And when they did finally get it back to 20 Mbps (which took days, leading me to eventually call a friend who is a President at Telefonica), the public dynamic IP address we had previously was suddenly changed to a carrier grade NAT (private) dynamic IP address, which made all peer to peer stuff wonky and completely made it impossible for me to remotely connect to my computers and video cameras at home. It took another week (and more calls to my friend) to finally back to a public dynamic IP address.

So I'm in no mood to fiddle with it now, as long as 20 Mbps is sufficient for my needs...

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register