Ideas for changes to expatperu?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ideas for changes to expatperu?

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Later this year, I'd like to spend a bit of time making improvements to the Expat Peru site. Nothing too dramatic, but hopefully a couple things that will make the site more useful and interesting. For example, a friend recommended a blog with articles geared towards retirees to Peru. Another recommended more legal articles as blog posts. Another thought is to get the real estate section working again - which apart from being a useful service to landlords and tenants- can help me monetize the site. Then there is the suggestion to create a "classified" section for the jobs, roommates and buy and sell ads, all which currently go into our forum.

There is a proliferation of Facebook sites for expats in Lima - some of which are very very good and very busy - so I want to avoid redundancies with what those communities provide. But that said, while Facebook has become a great place to ask questions and to network, it isn't a very useful archive for information.

What do you guys think? What would you find useful? What do you think others - maybe newcomers to Peru - would like to see? Please post your suggestions here, or send me a PM.

Thanks!

-Alan

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ideas for changes to expatperu?

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Good ideas, Alan. I don't have anything as useful or interesting at the moment, but something small might be the ability for forum members to like/thumbs up posts.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 pm

What bulletin board software does this site use? I like the upvote/downvote idea, and maybe the latest version of the BB software has that.

I agree with not trying to copy FB based sites. It is better to leverage the benefits that a forum like this has, such as easy searching, and the ability to remain more or less anonymous. Of course the anonymity is both a boon and a bane, as along with the honesty that anonymity allows it also brings with it sock puppets and trolls. I'm not sure if there's much to be done about the negative side of anonymity, as any steps taken (waiting periods, limited posting access) might unduly burden new users looking for help.

I was thinking maybe forums specific to the major cities might be nice, but that might conflict with the hierarchy already established and result in a lot of cross-posting.

One of the most vexing issues I encounter regularly is finding specific items here in Peru, so maybe a "Where to find things" forum would be good.

Does this BB software support polls / voting? I don't see that capability offhand. That's something that can be pretty useful.

That's about all my thoughts at the moment. I'll ponder a bit more and see if I can come up with anything else.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:20 pm

The forum relies on PhpBB software. I have begun to look into the "up vote" option, and yes, there is something similar. There is a way to qualify usefulness, and another plug in that allows people to thank the poster. It's on the list!

City specific forums ... hmm... interesting idea. I wonder if there is the critical mass of people here from different cities... and wouldn't those niches be better served by a Facebook community?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:53 pm

from what i've read on the forums, legal problems arise quite often. recommend a thread dedicated to these matters.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:36 am

Alan wrote:The forum relies on PhpBB software. I have begun to look into the "up vote" option, and yes, there is something similar. There is a way to qualify usefulness, and another plug in that allows people to thank the poster. It's on the list!

Yes, those plugins would be very nice. Maybe also something like a "reputation" system that allows you to see how helpful and/or reliable a certain poster is, which I have seen on other forums.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:19 am

Great suggestions. I want to make changes on the forum, but also the rest of the page, so feel free to comment on the whole site.
-Alan
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 am

This is a great forum.

Thanks you, Alan..

It would be interesting to find a way to promote expatperu.com among english and non-english speakers as spanish, french, etc.

The structure of the website is in english, that create a language barrier.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

Yes Caliguy, legal issues seem to be a major issue on Expatperu.

I try to educate myself on the complexities & corruption here in Peru.
Unfortunately, no one offers to help me in any manner.
Why should I continue to waste my valuable time, when no one seems to REALLY care?
"Don't kill the messenger..." Best wishes to you & your lovely wife. Thanks. :lol:
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:19 am

Word limits.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:29 pm

windsportinperu wrote:This is a great forum.

Thanks you, Alan..

It would be interesting to find a way to promote expatperu.com among english and non-english speakers as spanish, french, etc.

The structure of the website is in english, that create a language barrier.

Thanks for the suggestion. At one point I opened forum areas for different languages, but they languished. There is a word translator on the site... at least on the main pages...but I should see if I can do the same for the forum.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Maybe revamp the cuisine section to include restaurant reviews with a 5 star system.
Large and in charge!
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:05 am

When logging into ExpatPeru, when I have logged into the site earlier in the day, I do not know if anyone has responded to any of the current topics. I do not wish to re-enter into the topic again to determine whether there was/were further discussion(s). It would be convenient for each of the topics to have a number representing the "count" of the responses to that particular topic as responses are being added.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi,

Ergonomics. I find this last version of Expatperu "user unfriendly" and have hard time navigating through the forums. IMHO the previous versions of the forums were nicer in the sense the navigation ergonomics was for me much more simple and needed fewer steps.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:34 am

Alan wrote:Great suggestions. I want to make changes on the forum, but also the rest of the page, so feel free to comment on the whole site.
-Alan

I have to admit that I'm guilty for never having really given the rest of the site a good look. I've glanced at it before, but never really gone through the non-forum sections. I finally just took a good look and I'm pleasantly surprised by just how much information is archived there..!

I wonder if I'm unusual, or if other people also never take the time to really look and see all the other information that is available on this site other than the forum.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:04 am

gringolandia wrote:
I wonder if I'm unusual, or if other people also never take the time to really look and see all the other information that is available on this site other than the forum.

*Raises hand*
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 am

Can you make it look more like facebook? Kidding.

Might check to see if we can (either mods or other advanced users) tag forum posts and then be able to group them in custom ways.
Sherry401

Postby Sherry401 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:14 pm

gringolandia wrote:
Alan wrote:Great suggestions. I want to make changes on the forum, but also the rest of the page, so feel free to comment on the whole site.
-Alan

I have to admit that I'm guilty for never having really given the rest of the site a good look. I've glanced at it before, but never really gone through the non-forum sections. I finally just took a good look and I'm pleasantly surprised by just how much information is archived there..!

Hi everyone! I'm new to registering to expatperu but a long time stalker of the forum and I never thought once in checking out the website. gringolandia you're not unusual, looks like most of us are guilty of it.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks to all so far. What I am hearing is that I need to search for some plugins to make the forum more interactive, and a better way to integrate the forum and the main page.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register