USA Election viewing

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: USA Election viewing

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Here's a breakdown of who voted for whom...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... women.html

Large and in charge!
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Never in my life have I been so embarrassed or ashamed to be a U.S. person. What were people thinking? Man people in the United States are easy to fool.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:29 pm

The BBC is reporting that over the last 24 hours New Zealand's immigration info website has received 56,000 hits from the US. On the night of the election traffic from the US crashed Canada's immigration info website.

It's a good time to be an expat. I feel like I'm ahead of the curve.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:46 am

Polaron wrote:Never in my life have I been so embarrassed or ashamed to be a U.S. person. What were people thinking? Man people in the United States are easy to fool.

This seems to be the differance between Libs and Repulicans. At the change of power to liberal there are no riots, embarrassments. Americans leaving America does not spike up. No comfort rooms. The sun will come up tommorrow.
This American election actually quite historic, there have never been this many Repubublicans in power, accross America, since the 1920's.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:38 am

I'm sure had Hillary won the electoral vote and not just the popular vote we'd be seeing much the same, since Trump and others had suggested his supporters take to the streets as well in the case of a Trump loss due the fix being in for Clinton.

Here's some (since deleted) Tweets from Trump that show it's not just "the libs" who are interested in "riots, embarrassments" when things didn't go his way:

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:59 am

@real DonaldTrump? Who or what is that. A lot of one liners but what was the context. I think you can dig anything up on the internet, what is happening since the election is right in front of our eyes.
How can anyone predict what someone or a group will do. There was no precedent for that comment. However the Dems have precedents. Just review the reactions President Trump got from Dems when he visited a city.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 am

Or you could just view the inside of any random Trump rally. Trump and others urged his followers to take to the streets if he lost. Four years ago he suggested people march to Washington and that it was time for a revolution and several other things that would fit in the category of what you're now complaing about. Like any good politician, he knows how to motivate his base. A well armed right wing militia group took over a Federal facility in Oregon over the last year and caused their fair share of damage. If something is wrong or justified when one side does something, it should be considered as being the same when the other side engages in similar behaviour. What's okay for the goose is okay for the gander.

This isn't a Conservative/Liberal issue, but something that would have happened either way and demonstrates the fact that there's people on both sides are angry and passionate in their beliefs. I think it's refreshing to see people (no matter what side they're on) expressing their passion for what they believe as it relates to what they believe is best for their country. I'm confident the Republic will survive people exercising their First Amendment rights by protesting, no matter what it is they're protesting, be it against Trump or Clinton.

P.S. - @real DonaldTrump is Trump's Twitter account. Trump loves using Twitter and Twitter is all about one liners. Today and within just a few hours of each other, he used it to say "Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!" to a few hours later going 180 and saying "Love the fact that the small groups of protesters last night have passion for our great country."

Maybe instead of sending strong, firm messages to the rest of the world when dealing with foreign affairs, his strategy will be to send out conflicting messages and keep everyone on their toes?
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:08 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Or you could just view the inside of any random Trump rally. Trump and others urged his followers to take to the streets if he lost. Four years ago he suggested people march to Washington and that it was time for a revolution and several other things that would fit in the category of what you're now complaing about. Like any good politician, he knows how to motivate his base. A well armed right wing militia group took over a Federal facility in Oregon over the last year and caused their fair share of damage. If something is wrong or justified when one side does something, it should be considered as being the same when the other side engages in similar behaviour. What's okay for the goose is okay for the gander.

This isn't a Conservative/Liberal issue, but something that would have happened either way and demonstrates the fact that there's people on both sides are angry and passionate in their beliefs. I think it's refreshing to see people (no matter what side they're on) expressing their passion for what they believe as it relates to what they believe is best for their country. I'm confident the Republic will survive people exercising their First Amendment rights by protesting, no matter what it is they're protesting, be it against Trump or Clinton.

P.S. - @real DonaldTrump is Trump's Twitter account. Trump loves using Twitter and Twitter is all about one liners. Today and within just a few hours of each other, he used it to say "Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!" to a few hours later going 180 and saying "Love the fact that the small groups of protesters last night have passion for our great country."

Maybe instead of sending strong, firm messages to the rest of the world when dealing with foreign affairs, his strategy will be to send out conflicting messages and keep everyone on their toes?

Taking to the streets and marching on Washington, as Martian Luther King, million man march, etc. have done, are rights as Americans. Marching on Washington and taking to the streets with destruction of property, as we are witnessing now, is a crime.
I doubt President Trump was promoting property destruction, as we see now, when he endorsed marching on Washington in you one liner. Then again I have no crystal ball, I can not predict what anyone or a group will do.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:31 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Or you could just view the inside of any random Trump rally. Trump and others urged his followers to take to the streets if he lost. Four years ago he suggested people march to Washington and that it was time for a revolution and several other things that would fit in the category of what you're now complaing about. Like any good politician, he knows how to motivate his base. A well armed right wing militia group took over a Federal facility in Oregon over the last year and caused their fair share of damage. If something is wrong or justified when one side does something, it should be considered as being the same when the other side engages in similar behaviour. What's okay for the goose is okay for the gander.

Re the Oregon takeover
You mean the Bundy clan?
They were acquitted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/bu ... .html?_r=0
Large and in charge!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 pm

True, they were acquitted. Just because the prosecution couldn't make their case stick doesn't negate the fact that the Bundy's and crew took over a Federal facility, were armed, and left a big mess behind. If they were black odds are they would've been shot and killed and never had the chance to go to court.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:38 pm

jumpinjack wrote:

Taking to the streets and marching on Washington, as Martian Luther King, million man march, etc. have done, are rights as Americans. Marching on Washington and taking to the streets with destruction of property, as we are witnessing now, is a crime.
I doubt President Trump was promoting property destruction, as we see now, when he endorsed marching on Washington in you one liner. Then again I have no crystal ball, I can not predict what anyone or a group will do.

This is true about the lack of a crystal ball, though at his rallies Trump did encourage violence on the part of his supporters and even said he'd like to punch some people as well.

As far as I know there's no widespread problem with protests erupting into destruction of property. Haven't checked out the news in hours, but the only place where I've heard about protests experiencing destruction of property is Portland. I have no problem saying that's not a good thing, but I'm also not going to use what happened in Portland to represent every other protest that's going on in the US where there has been no violence and no destruction of property taking place.

This is one of the problems in America. People just see what they want, ignore what they don't want to see, and make up the rest or take isolated incidents and try to paint a broader picture that just isn't accurate.

So glad I'm here and not there at the moment.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register