Was Offered Job - How to tell if it's legit and a socially responsible company

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chirimoya

Was Offered Job - How to tell if it's legit and a socially responsible company

Postby chirimoya » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi, I am currently living in Arequipa. Someone approached me on the street the other night to see if I would be interested in a job working at his travel agency. I went to talk to him in the agency this morning. It is a very small agency and he made it sound like they offered very cheap tours. It is a block from where I live - I pass by every day which makes me feel more secure about it.

The man said he needs to hire someone who speaks very good English (I speak English). It would be part time, 20 hours, 500 soles, so not much money, but I need something to occupy my time and it could be a good learning experience.

My concern is not so much getting paid - I will just leave if necessary, but that I've heard some travel agencies are corrupt and have terrible safety standards. I don't want to be irresponsible by jumping on board with one of these. I would appreciate advice as to how to approach this.

Thanks!

Ciberdoc

Re: Was Offered Job - How to tell if it's legit and a socially responsible company

Postby Ciberdoc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:19 pm

People from Peru tend to think that something bad is never going to happen so responsible is an adjective almost unknown for peruvians, the situation is worse away from Lima. Of course not all peruvians are the same but we are few.

http://perureports.com/2016/11/16/four-killed-fire-lima-shopping-mall-tourist-hotspot/
:arrow: Medicine in cyberspace
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Was Offered Job - How to tell if it's legit and a socially responsible company

Postby fanning » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:03 pm

If they hire you illegally as a tourist, by definition they are not legit and socially responsible. If you are legal and they put you on the payroll, of which you get a proof certificate that they registered you at the Ministry of Work, then you can be more relieved that they obey the basic labor laws.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:34 pm

You need to check out what tours the company does. If it's trekking etc in Colca Canyon or local volcanos then you should be checking to see that the companies guides are all fully qualified and have the right Certificates. They should have certificates from the Associated Mountain Guides of Peru and International certificates wouldn't be a bad thing either.

There is a local tourist school in Arequipa that has a terrible reputation (can't remember which one so you'll have to try and find this out yourself) so if they guides are from that school i wouldn't get involved with the company. Tourists have died in Colca Canyon over the current years so i would beware.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:05 am

Ask him if he can pay you cash daily because you need it for food, then settle for weekly. Tell him you have another offer from another agency. Don't accept a pay delay, but expect one. Nail him down on the pay date, and when that day comes and he delays, tell him you need it for rent, can you get 1/2 of it? The day before pay is due confirm with him you will receive your payment.

Small businesses are like this all over the world, not just Peru. Forget about trying to work legally, you don't want to pay taxes anyway. Getting this paperwork done would take too long. Other choices could be working for a Hostal for free room and board.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register