Mercado Libre - be careful!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mercado Libre - be careful!

Postby woodchuck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 am

2 months ago, I bought an expensive antique from a seller on Mercado Libre.
We both could only meet on a Sunday & each of us was coming a distance.
I purchased the item paying cash & had it appraised the next day.
I was told by 2 different experts, the item was from the 1950's vs 1900's - as claimed.

I contacted the seller & provided the appraisals; he has "jerked me around" for 2 months; initially offering to refund the difference & then doing nothing (typical Peruvian experience).
I haven't had much luck with ML as I paid cash, instead of thru their bank deposit process. They will issue the seller a "warning"; I feel they should do more!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES pay cash with a ML purchase; I learned the hard way!
I may decide to file a claim against the seller with INDECOPI.
I am not sure I can file a claim against ML as they are not a Peruvian company?
Be careful. :roll:

FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mercado Libre - be careful!

Postby FDiH » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:18 pm

There is nothing ML can do here. Even though ML will have a registration/office in Peru, they are not to be blamed if you do not use their payment system. ML is just offering a transaction system. The actual transfer of goods is between the seller and the buyer.
Sorry mate, sounds like the seller scammed you. Perhaps legal action?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:16 am

Yes, I agree.
Just posted so others never experience the same problem.
Will INDECOPI get involved when the business (ML) is not domiciled in Peru?
Best wishes & thanks. :roll:
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Mercadolibre is a registered SRL and has been for 17 years:

RUC: 20462540745
Razón Social: MERCADOLIBRE PERU S.R.L.
Página Web: http://www.mercadolibre.com.pe
Razon Social Anterior: Deremate.Com del Peru S.A.
Tipo Empresa: Soc.Com.Respons. Ltda
Condición: Activo
Fecha Inicio Actividades: 15 / Febrero / 2000
Actividad Comercial: Vta. Min. de Casas de Venta por Correo.
CIIU: 52511
Dirección Legal: Cal. Manuel Bonilla Nro. 162 Int. 203
Distrito / Ciudad: Miraflores
Departamento: Lima, Perú
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm

woodchuck wrote:2 months ago, I bought an expensive antique from a seller on Mercado Libre.
We both could only meet on a Sunday & each of us was coming a distance.
I purchased the item paying cash & had it appraised the next day.
I was told by 2 different experts, the item was from the 1950's vs 1900's - as claimed.

I contacted the seller & provided the appraisals; he has "jerked me around" for 2 months; initially offering to refund the difference & then doing nothing (typical Peruvian experience).
I haven't had much luck with ML as I paid cash, instead of thru their bank deposit process. They will issue the seller a "warning"; I feel they should do more!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES pay cash with a ML purchase; I learned the hard way!
I may decide to file a claim against the seller with INDECOPI.
I am not sure I can file a claim against ML as they are not a Peruvian company?
Be careful. :roll:

Why couldn't you get it appraised before buying it?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:37 am

It was a Sunday & no one was open where we agreed to meet.
I figured ML would help me by threatening the seller that he would be banned for this deceptive advertising - has not happened.
Now I realize ML is only interested in commissions & not the behavior of their sellers.
That's why I share my experience, so others will have a better experience with ML.
Best wishes. :roll:
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 pm

woodchuck wrote:It was a Sunday & no one was open where we agreed to meet.
I figured ML would help me by threatening the seller that he would be banned for this deceptive advertising - has not happened.
Now I realize ML is only interested in commissions & not the behavior of their sellers.
That's why I share my experience, so others will have a better experience with ML.
Best wishes. :roll:

He probably planned it that way to rip you off.
Knowing there wouldn't be an appraiser available.
Bully for him.
Maybe you can resell it and recoup some of your cash.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 am

Why didn't you get is appraised before you paid the money?

Before bying a second hand car, I will also take it for a spin before handing over my money
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 am

Caveat Emptor. Due diligence is the buyer's responsibility, not the seller's, and not Mercado Libre's who is solely providing a platform for transactions.

Don't assume one company's (MercadoLibre) business model and polices on returns/buyer protection will apply to a similar type of company offering a similar service that you are more familiar with, such as ebay/PayPal. This should be obvious if you already have knowledge/expectations/experience of what you consider "the typical Peruvian experience" when it comes to transactions in Perú. I wouldn't expect ML to get involved with "threatening the seller" because you didn't do your due diligence, nor make assumptions that their interests extend beyond making a profit off the service they offer. If there's even a chance you think you may want to return an item or need any kind of consumer protection do some research on the companies relevant policies. Perú isn't a nanny state that takes care of it's citizens when it comes to these things like the US. Better to understand, expect this, and adjust accordingly than to be surprised, complain, or wish it were more like the US.

As others have mentioned; get the appraisal before making a purchase. Especially on something you would consider to be an expensive item. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the seller was only available on a day that appraisers would be closed, maybe he planned it that way. Either way, smells like a red flag to me, especially if when pressed the seller is only ever available on Sundays or unwilling to let you get the piece appraised before purchase.

Enjoy your furniture. The purchase is water under the bridge at this point. It may not be what you thought you were buying and you may have overpaid, but as long as what you bought serves the purpose for which you bought it (hopefully not as an investment or to resell) - forget about your monetary loss and enjoy.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:32 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Enjoy your furniture. The purchase is water under the bridge at this point. It may not be what you thought you were buying and you may have overpaid, but as long as what you bought serves the purpose for which you bought it (hopefully not as an investment or to resell) - forget about your monetary loss and enjoy.

He probably paid 100's for it and you probably can buy it at Polvos Azules for a 5 Lucas.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register