Latin America is better than Europe for..

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Latin America is better than Europe for..

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

This french man consider Latin-America a better place than Europe for these reasons:

1. Love, tenderness and better sex (More sex in South America. France as the "country of love" is just fake stereotype)
2. Party everywhere in LA. (happy people and know how to enjoy life)
3. Real Kindness
4. Famly (the member of the family help each other. In Europe you live alone and family doesn't help that much)
5. Patriotism (loving your country)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTInP-KASqQ

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Latin America is better than Europe for..

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm

One thing i really like about Peru is how close the family is and how often they get together for dinners etc.

This is a subject that my wife has mentioned before about the difference between the two cultures. Shes definitely right about just how close Latin families and she has said that she thinks the family is more supportive in Peru but i would argue that the family has to be supportive because the State isn't.
There's no need in a supportive family in Europe as most have extremely strong benefit systems with National Health Care, good state education, university fees don't need to be paid for if you make under £33,000 a year or are just free non stop, college course work out at around £100 a year, free housing for the unemployed and ill (with £1000 to spend on top of the free housing) after all that there's little the family needs to help out with.

As someone who spends most of my time working nights and dealing with night time trade I have to strongly disagree with the idea that people in party more in Latin America as well, i wish we did party less here as it would make my work a lot easy but I've yet to see anything in Miraflores or Barranco that is even close to the utter mayhem that is a weekend here!
Every night over the weekend there's a fight either in the take away or outside. My wife was amazed at just how nuts things are here. She use to just watch the fighting from our apartment window on a saturday night. Just the general all round violence from drink i've yet to see in Latin America and Latin America better for it!

Real kindess is hard to answer as i think that can't be judged so much on country and it tends to be completely different in rural and urban areas. I just think rural areas are way better for kindess as people are more stony in cities and i certainly noticed a difference between Lima and the rest of Peru in this. Hell i would say most of the things i don't like about Peru aren't actually against Peru but just Lima.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 am

Food quality - Peru has about 5000 varieties of potatoes, 16 varieties of bananas, 100+ different grains, etc. The quality and choice of food is great in Peru. I live in Huanuco and the supermarkets here do not sell any tv-dinners or pre-processed meals. Everybody buys fresh. I am a foodie, and also love to cook, so Peru for me is food heaven. So many fresh ingredients and the further you go into the jungle the better it gets with local fruits, chillies, etc.

Space, there is a lot of it. Being from the Netherlands, where there is little space, and therefor property prices are high, moving to Peru, a country 33 times the size of the Netherlands, you have a lot more options if you want to invest in land. The fact that there is so much space also makes it nice to travel around. Nature is Peru is stunning, there is so much variety. In one day you can go from desert to mountains to jungle with all its differences in terms of nature and people.

Tradition. Something that is disappearing in Europe is traditions and the values that come with it. Tradition is important in Peru. The religious festivities are numerous and young and old join in. The music (outside of the big cities) seems to be mainly Peruvian folklore and latin orientated. In Huanuco you hardly ever hear any Western music being played in clubs, bars, restaurants, etc. I know that Lima is different.

Family. Although Huanuco is considered one of the poorest regions in Peru, you hardly ever see any homeless people. Family is important. They look after each other. Besides the strong social aspects as mentioned in other posts, there is this unwritten rule that nobody is left behind. It even goes further in Huanuco where some shops leave little bags of produce and products (that they cannot sell anymore) outside for people that are dealing with hard times.
Last edited by FDiH on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:

As someone who spends most of my time working nights and dealing with night time trade I have to strongly disagree with the idea that people in party more in Latin America as well, i wish we did party less here as it would make my work a lot easy but I've yet to see anything in Miraflores or Barranco that is even close to the utter mayhem that is a weekend here!
Every night over the weekend there's a fight either in the take away or outside. My wife was amazed at just how nuts things are here. She use to just watch the fighting from our apartment window on a saturday night. Just the general all round violence from drink i've yet to see in Latin America and Latin America better for it!

There always seems to be a reason for a get-together here: birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, football games etc, and pubs and clubs are open till at leaset 3am, so my impression is there is a lot going on in Peru socially. Way more than in Canada, anyway.

What is mostly absent, as Silverback points out, is the brawling violence that spills into the streets, and bouncers here seem more intent on keeping people out, than kicking people out. In my years in Lima, I have seen very, very few fights, and the few I have witnessed scale down pretty quickly. I am not sure why this is, but it is a welcome change.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am

Alan wrote:What is mostly absent, as Silverback points out, is the brawling violence that spills into the streets, and bouncers here seem more intent on keeping people out, than kicking people out. In my years in Lima, I have seen very, very few fights, and the few I have witnessed scale down pretty quickly. I am not sure why this is, but it is a welcome change.

Silverback refers to the UK.
The Brits go binge drinking at weekends and drink far more than they can handle. After midnight, you see people laying on the streets, vomiting and urinating in public and loads of fighting. Even in wintertime, men wear T shirts and women wear a mini dress. And I think that some even forgot their mini dress but were just wearing a belt.

The Irish are big drinkers too but they can handle a drink. I lived in Ireland for years and regularly hung out in pubs but I have never seen a fight and rarely I saw someone urinating or vomiting in public.

In Spain, they behave themselves and I noticed that the beers without alcohol sell very well. The effect of alcohol is subdued quickly as when you order a beer, you get a huge tapa so that absorbs the alcohol.

Here in Zurich, a beer costs $12. So, you need a mortgage if you want to go binge drinking.
Most people I see in bars are tourists. (Who probably just arrived and didn't figure out the exchange rate yet)
I drink at home. Denner supermarkets often has discounts on beer and wine.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 am

FDiH wrote: Although Huanuco is considered one of the poorest regions in Peru, you hardly ever see any homeless people.

In Peru, if you stick 4 wooden poles in the ground and put a sheet of corrugated steel on it then you are no longer homeless.

Whilst Europeans slave themselves out for years to save for a deposit to buy a home and then become a 'mortgage slave' for the next 25 years, Peruvians take a smarter approach when it comes to becoming a ''landlord''.

http://www.care2share.org/wp-content/up ... 24x768.jpg

In Europe, it won't last long before he will get evicted from ''his home''.

https://i0.wp.com/www.pravda-tv.com/wp- ... aenien.jpg
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 am

FDiH wrote:Food quality - I mean Peru has about 5000 varieties of potatoes, 16 bananas, 100+ different grains, etc.

I had the opportunity to talk with a friend from Spain, and she told me that she love the fresh fish variety in Peru. They are so fresh that the fish is caught at 4 am and is cooked the same day at 12 am at a Cevicheria. She told me that it is not possible in Spain, even though the Ocean they have
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Alan wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:

There always seems to be a reason for a get-together here: birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, football games etc, and pubs and clubs are open till at leaset 3am, so my impression is there is a lot going on in Peru socially. Way more than in Canada, anyway.

What is mostly absent, as Silverback points out, is the brawling violence that spills into the streets, and bouncers here seem more intent on keeping people out, than kicking people out. In my years in Lima, I have seen very, very few fights, and the few I have witnessed scale down pretty quickly. I am not sure why this is, but it is a welcome change.

Yeah there is definitely more get togethers family wise in Peru but i think the biggest problem i found was a total lack of community in Peru. All socializing is done within the family generally and in my experience of Lima each neighbourhood lacked focus points for people to freely meet.

In the richer neighbourhoods there are parks and churches do help to a point but other than that nothing.
Back home you'll find sports facilities, community centres, legions or local sports clubs and pubs.

Miraflores and Barranco have plenty of cafes, restaurants etc but once you leave that area Lima can be an extremely lonely and isolating place. Bored was my biggest problem in the city with most sports facilities being clubs or restaurants that were just too expensive for me to go to with being on a local wage.

I just don't think people talk as much to others, but this could be city v rural thing again as rural areas have a better community feel to them.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:15 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Yeah there is definitely more get togethers family wise in Peru but i think the biggest problem i found was a total lack of community in Peru. All socializing is done within the family generally and in my experience of Lima each neighbourhood lacked focus points for people to freely meet.

In the richer neighbourhoods there are parks and churches do help to a point but other than that nothing.
Back home you'll find sports facilities, community centres, legions or local sports clubs and pubs.

Miraflores and Barranco have plenty of cafes, restaurants etc but once you leave that area Lima can be an extremely lonely and isolating place. Bored was my biggest problem in the city with most sports facilities being clubs or restaurants that were just too expensive for me to go to with being on a local wage.

I just don't think people talk as much to others, but this could be city v rural thing again as rural areas have a better community feel to them.

Limenas work 6 long days a week and then they have to spend both in the morning and evening hours on an overcrowded the combi to get to their home in the Cono Norte or Cono Sur.
And the only day off a week they have, they have to wash their clothes, clean their work uniform and fix the holes in the corrugated steel roof of their home.
My gf was used to work as an impulsadora in Supermarkets in Miraflores and San Isidro. She had to get up at 5 am, never got home before midnight. As she was working for an agency rather than working directly for the supermarkets, she had 2 days off a week which is a luxury in Peru. But on her days off, she had to clean the house, wash clothes, do the weekly shopping and clean her working uniforms and attending English class one evening a week. No time for hobbies, sport, going out or socializing. There was no time or 'plata' for that.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Cactus fan wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:Yeah there is definitely more get togethers family wise in Peru but i think the biggest problem i found was a total lack of community in Peru. All socializing is done within the family generally and in my experience of Lima each neighbourhood lacked focus points for people to freely meet.

Limenas work 6 long days a week and then they have to spend both in the morning and evening hours on an overcrowded the combi to get to their home in the Cono Norte or Cono Sur.
And the only day off a week they have, they have to wash their clothes, clean their work uniform and fix the holes in the corrugated steel roof of their home.
My gf was used to work as an impulsadora in Supermarkets in Miraflores and San Isidro. She had to get up at 5 am, never got home before midnight. As she was working for an agency rather than working directly for the supermarkets, she had 2 days off a week which is a luxury in Peru. But on her days off, she had to clean the house, wash clothes, do the weekly shopping and clean her working uniforms and attending English class one evening a week. No time for hobbies, sport, going out or socializing. There was no time or 'plata' for that.

Yeah i have to admit the commute for most Limenas is a nightmare. On a bad night it took me 2hrs 40mins in a taxi, god only knows how long it would be in a combi. I hate those things with a burning passion. You really have to feel for the average Limenos struggling to get by in life. My wife once said in the rest of the world you work to live, in Lima you live to work.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:59 pm

The similar timezone to the US is one thing LA has over Europe, at least for those who have businesses in or related to the US.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 pm

It's fun to travel to South America (and Asia) but it's much better to live in Europe.

Wages are much higher.
You work less hours and have more vacation.
Healthcare is accessible to everyone. Even for the ones that don't have or have a low income.
Education and training is free.
If you lose your job due to unemployment or sickness, the government gives you enough income to live off.
You get a pension.
Europe is safer and the infrastructure is better.

This year, I already travelled to Namibia, the Philippines, Morocco, Turkey, Mauritius and Dubai. And in November I will go Brunei, Muscat, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. All nice places but I wouldn't think of moving there.

Although Dubai and Singapore are great places too to work and the standard of living is high, the sweltering heat most of the year puts me off.

My gf only wants to go back to Peru for a short vacation to visit her family but she wouldn't think of moving back. She says that Peru will always be a poor third world country caused by a corrupt and incompetent government. Independence from Europe is the main cause.
All countries that became independent from Europe are poor, crime ridden and run by dodgy governments.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:54 pm

A russian woman “hates” Latinoamerica for these reasons:

Perfect sunny climate – (while in Russian 9 months a year is winter)

Best products all year round: Fresh fruits , melons ..

Beautiful women , specially in Colombia and Venezuela

Unpunctuality

Smily and kind people (extreme kind for her taste)

Best beaches

Best Flora and Fauna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHSS5X86bg

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register