Could driver less cars succeed in Peru?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Could driver less cars succeed in Peru?

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:44 am

The concept seems great in theory and on paper especially in more modernized places but what about Peru?
Or would it just succeed in causing more traffic gridlock?

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Could driver less cars succeed in Peru?

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:46 pm

I wouldn't think it would be a smart idea for driverless cars in Peru. Not because of how bad the traffic is but because of how much unemployment it would cause.
I'm not sure what percentage of the work force are taxi drivers in Lima but imagine putting them out of a job. Probably increase in crime rates, voting for extreme political parties in elections, people struggling to survive. Not a great idea at all.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:11 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:I'm not sure what percentage of the work force are taxi drivers in Lima but imagine putting them out of a job.

It won't affect employment because all those taxi drivers will stay in the car but will be guarding it instead of driving it.
A driverless car will be stolen in a second.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am

toughrider wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:I'm not sure what percentage of the work force are taxi drivers in Lima but imagine putting them out of a job.

It won't affect employment because all those taxi drivers will stay in the car but will be guarding it instead of driving it.
A driverless car will be stolen in a second.

Good point. I still think the rest of the world can learn a lot from Peru when it comes to employment. Most councils could easily get a street cleaner truck but instead they tend to hire people instead to clean the roads. The French are wanting the U.N to make the right to work a human right and I think deep down it's part of the human psyche to want to work and achieve. I really worry about what sort of damage these driverless cars will do to the ever dwindling jobs in the modern world.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

I've laughed in the past about even a smart car *with* a driver would have trouble here.

Take a Tesla, for instance, where you can push a button and put it into its assisted-driving mode. Now imagine it trying to merge into traffic.

HAHAHAHAHA.

It is going to just sit there because its safety protocols against aggressive driving won't allow it to move even an inch. The driver would have to disable it constantly, and not just for merging. Then it has to deal with people turning left from the right lane with no warning, it needs to recognize people flapping their hands out the windows like they're trying to fly way, cars going the wrong way down roads, people driving on the curbs... I think one could go on and on with all the crazy things that happen here. Oh, yea, and let's not forget three lanes of cars squeezing into two lanes. Oye.

So a driverless car? OMG that is too hilarious.

I'll count it as a huge win if we can just get manually driven electric cars to be a thing here. That would at least ease up on the pollution.
eugene.in.peru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm

gringolandia wrote:I've laughed in the past about even a smart car *with* a driver would have trouble here.

Take a Tesla, for instance, where you can push a button and put it into its assisted-driving mode. Now imagine it trying to merge into traffic.

HAHAHAHAHA.

It is going to just sit there because its safety protocols against aggressive driving won't allow it to move even an inch. The driver would have to disable it constantly, and not just for merging. Then it has to deal with people turning left from the right lane with no warning, it needs to recognize people flapping their hands out the windows like they're trying to fly way, cars going the wrong way down roads, people driving on the curbs... I think one could go on and on with all the crazy things that happen here. Oh, yea, and let's not forget three lanes of cars squeezing into two lanes. Oye.

So a driverless car? OMG that is too hilarious.

I'll count it as a huge win if we can just get manually driven electric cars to be a thing here. That would at least ease up on the pollution.

Tesla would have to re-write that self driving software, from scratch, to have a .pe version. Though road testing it would be a a lot easier here than in countries with more regulation.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:02 pm

gringolandia wrote:I've laughed in the past about even a smart car *with* a driver would have trouble here.

HAHAHAHAHA.

And in the provinces all the motorbikes will circle around it.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:02 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:I wouldn't think it would be a smart idea for driverless cars in Peru.

You forget most cars in Lima are already driver less... they move like there is no driver :mrgreen:
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm

They will all be stolen on day one and broken up for scrap metal.

I have seen people removing the gearstick and even the steering wheel to avoid it getting stolen overnight.
And then they still find their car back without wheels on bricks.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm

toughrider wrote:They will all be stolen on day one and broken up for scrap metal.

I have seen people removing the gearstick and even the steering wheel to avoid it getting stolen overnight.
And then they still find their car back without wheels on bricks.

That's not so bad! In certain parts of the world they would even steal the bricks underneath your car.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register