Vote for Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!

Is living in Peru for you, better, same, or worse than in your home country?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm

better
5
45%
same
1
9%
worse
5
45%
 
Total votes: 11
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi

as my threads about Peru being good or bad for living have been closed without a final conclusion, I propose you just vote for it :P

So be so kind and select one of the answers. (Mods please do not tweak it LOL). Vote your subjective impression pls.


Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:16 am

Our polls are rising!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:50 am

Polls are rising but score is falling :shock:
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Great if you have the money for the nicer neighbourhoods which can give you a great life.

Considerably worse if like me you don't have a degree as you have no way of saving for some of lifes most important things like a home, retirement fund, schooling for children and savings in case of serious health problems.

Very low disposible cash and mostly poor quality housing. Extremely long commuting times is another problem. Amazing nature in other parts of the country but if you aren't in a high end neighbourhood in the cities of Peru then the neighbourhoods are a total eyesore.

As an unskilled worker who has now picked up a third job and works 65hrs a week but makes over $1000 a week in my home country I just can't see how i could make that sort of income anywhere in Peru without a degree.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby woodchuck » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 pm

I agree with Silverback Peru.
I was "forced" to move to Peru as I live on a modest Social Security check.
My recent Peruvian wife & I could never afford to live in any of the nice areas of Lima.
We are looking for real estate in Ayacucho.
If anyone has any contacts in or about Ayacucho, please let us know.
Thanks for reading...
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Lima is great if you have the cash for a modern neighbourhood. But there's just something about those lesser neighbourhoods and the endless trash, metal bars and poor brick work that just destroys your will to live in Peru's coastal cities.

The poor buildings can be more easily forgotten about once you are in the Andes as you are surrounded by amazing countryside and a quiter pace of life. The force of nature just overpowers all of Peru's urban negatives. You could quite easily sacrifice a lot of the modern day comforts that you are use to just to be able to live in the Andes.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 pm

woodchuck wrote:I agree with Silverback Peru.
I was "forced" to move to Peru as I live on a modest Social Security check.
My recent Peruvian wife & I could never afford to live in any of the nice areas of Lima.
We are looking for real estate in Ayacucho.
If anyone has any contacts in or about Ayacucho, please let us know.
Thanks for reading...


We should not discuss here whether Peru is good or bad, I think mods do not like such discussion :mrgreen:

I wonder why you do not move to a cheap country instead of Peru? Peru is not cheap. So your social security check is not really worth more than in a cheap place in US. Why not buy a $20.000 home in Detroit for example? You will not find a home for this price in Peru. Or buy one in Spain. Alicante area is very cheap, expect a 80 m^2 flat cost you only 25.000€.

Regarding Ayacucho you will still find it expensive. Just too expensive versus the build quality / standard of living that you get for your money. It is actually overpriced across all Peru. Maybe you should consider Ecuador? Last time I looked at it RE was only 1/3 of Peru.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:The poor buildings can be more easily forgotten about once you are in the Andes as you are surrounded by amazing countryside and a quiter pace of life. The force of nature just overpowers all of Peru's urban negatives. You could quite easily sacrifice a lot of the modern day comforts that you are use to just to be able to live in the Andes.


The biggest issue in Lima for me is the prevalent dirt. My car looks like someone dumped a bucket of ash on it, 3 days after being cleaned. This is NOT normal. Think about your pulmonary tract, what happens there with all this dust. Everywhere I lived before it was usually enough to clean your car every lets say 2-3 weeks, or even less. Apparently you have to walk here wearing a dust mask on your face.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Alan wrote:I think the requirement for new buildings is either 25% or 30% of public space vs. constructed area. This can be outside or internal gardens, social meeting spaces like patios, or outdoor parking. I am happy to say that my building has views on three sides.

You refer to the "normal" world, which makes me think that you have little sense that countries exist in different stages of development, and this brings with it challenges and differences. It would be more fair to compare Peru to say Columbia, or the Philipines, as opposed to your reference points in Western Europe.


I could happily compare Peru to Philippines IF Peru had a price level of Philippines, however instead it has a cost of living same as Spain, Germany, Italy, and so I have to compare it rather to these countries. Believe me I have friends in Philippines, who moved there and they say a house on the beach in developed area is not more than 30-35.000 USD. Cost of living is half of Peru. So something is wrong with the Peruvian numbers.

I also have problems to believe your 25% of public space. Maybe this is some law on paper however as so often in Peru, it is then "interpreted" to make more profit.... authorities get the bribe and your construction ends up with 10% of public space, likely hidden in "traga luz" LOL. Other countries have 75% of empty space and allow only 25% to be constructed. So it is upside down here.

The construction is further ruined by badly working (or badly educated?) so called architects, who design labyrinths instead of flats. Modern layout for apartments looks very different from that one found in Peru. Maybe it is due to the fact that many of these architect companies cannot afford modern layout software that would let them deliver better work? Or the education they get at the univs here is just low? I suppose it is a mix of both. In our flat around 30 m^2 out of 90 are lost to "dead" spaces (gang ways, corners, useless bathrooms etc). I've never seen this kind of interior construction before. Not even in Brazil. So, on top of bad outside look and overpriced cost you also get a very bad interior design garnished with cheap finish. Congratulations.

You see this kind of construction all over Surco. Just look at these new towers raised in front of Panamericana when you drive from Primavera to Benavides. All 2 sided but 12 floor buildings. Nonsense. When will the government here stop this nonsense? Once you have built these crapscrapers the architecture is ruined for the next 50 years or even more. I can understand that times ago maybe the construction was bad in Peru and there were not lot of options how to build the homes, but today? Lima has a wave of new construction but it is in my opinion 95% crap. This country is just gambling away its sole chance to modernize itself.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 pm

mrsteak wrote:
woodchuck wrote:I agree with Silverback Peru.
I was "forced" to move to Peru as I live on a modest Social Security check.
My recent Peruvian wife & I could never afford to live in any of the nice areas of Lima.
We are looking for real estate in Ayacucho.
If anyone has any contacts in or about Ayacucho, please let us know.
Thanks for reading...


We should not discuss here whether Peru is good or bad, I think mods do not like such discussion :mrgreen:


I think it's because when you talk about the bad points of Peru, it can be borderline trolling.

I can understand how Peru can drive some folk a bit mad, I'm not one of Lima's biggest fans but it does have lot's of plus points going for it if you can afford to live there.

None of us will have the same views but it's all down to each persons preferences and situation.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:I can understand how Peru can drive some folk a bit mad, I'm not one of Lima's biggest fans but it does have lot's of plus points going for it if you can afford to live there.


I'm still waiting for these plus points :roll: can you explain? Anything besides food?
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2648
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:45 pm

mrsteak wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:I can understand how Peru can drive some folk a bit mad, I'm not one of Lima's biggest fans but it does have lot's of plus points going for it if you can afford to live there.


I'm still waiting for these plus points :roll: can you explain? Anything besides food?


Several people have taken the time and trouble to share their ideas with you on this topic in other posts. You choose to ignore them.
User avatar
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 pm

mrsteak wrote:Hi

as my threads about Peru being good or bad for living have been closed without a final conclusion, I propose you just vote for it :P

So be so kind and select one of the answers. (Mods please do not tweak it LOL). Vote your subjective impression pls.

Steak
You should be commended for conducting a poll but I'm afraid you're a little too late.
You're lucky to get into double figures with the number of votes.

About 4-5 yrs ago, it would have been a sizable amount but for some reason, posters have abandoned this forum.

They stopped posting but did they leave Peru, also?

That question can't be answered but if they did leave, maybe it was because their Peru shelf life was up and they decided it wasn't the paradise they thought.

Or maybe the border hopping crackdown made Peru not as attractive as it once was.
Large and in charge!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:49 pm

bigdaddy wrote:They stopped posting but did they leave Peru, also?

That question can't be answered but if they did leave, maybe it was because their Peru shelf life was up and they decided it wasn't the paradise they thought.

Or maybe the border hopping crackdown made Peru not as attractive as it once was.


yeah good question.... people appear, ask their questions and then disappear. Would be good to hear from the expats who came lets say 10 yrs ago, how they are doing... maybe some were killed? :P

I think the border hopping thing has an impact, also the changes to e.g. investor visa to require now around 180.000 USD in place of 30.000 makes Peru far less attractive. My observations is expats go to new destinations if they get more for their money (or maybe get less and less in the previous place). This may be happening to Peru now.

I wonder if immigration will put out all the investors that came with the 30.000 ? Will they require to raise your investment by the 150.000? I'm not affected but just wondering. It would be insane to require well doing business owners to invest 150.000 more or be put out of the country :shock:

With 180.000 you can go to mostly any country in the world and settle. The new law is just insane.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2648
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Most of the long-term expats outgrow the need for this forum, except for a handful who stay on because they want to help newcomers.

Many newer arrivals alo tend to gravitate to forums on Facebook.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:10 am

bigdaddy wrote:
mrsteak wrote:Hi

as my threads about Peru being good or bad for living have been closed without a final conclusion, I propose you just vote for it :P

So be so kind and select one of the answers. (Mods please do not tweak it LOL). Vote your subjective impression pls.

Steak
You should be commended for conducting a poll but I'm afraid you're a little too late.
You're lucky to get into double figures with the number of votes.

About 4-5 yrs ago, it would have been a sizable amount but for some reason, posters have abandoned this forum.

They stopped posting but did they leave Peru, also?

That question can't be answered but if they did leave, maybe it was because their Peru shelf life was up and they decided it wasn't the paradise they thought.

Or maybe the border hopping crackdown made Peru not as attractive as it once was.


It's basically as Alan said, most are using Facebook now. A few years ago a person who had worked in Marketing in NY said that all forums were dying out as people switched to Facebook groups. Forums aren't the only things that are dying, music and band websites become less and less relavent as more vands and companies switch to promoting themselves on social media.

A few years ago this forum was getting several new topics each now, now it's barely any ( which is a real shame as i've always liked it) but now the it's the expat FB groups that get new posts daily and receive way more feedback.
Facebook groups are a lot easier to find that forums on the web as they get recommended. There's a difference between younger and older peoples information searching habbits too.

It would be great to see the forum like it use to be but all the data says forums are fighting a losing battle unfortunately!
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am

mrsteak wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:I can understand how Peru can drive some folk a bit mad, I'm not one of Lima's biggest fans but it does have lot's of plus points going for it if you can afford to live there.


I'm still waiting for these plus points :roll: can you explain? Anything besides food?


There is a awful lot of terrible buildings in Lima and it always makes you depressed but if you can afford to live in one of the better areas there's a lot of really nice old styled buildings to modern apartments. The nice apartments are designed with one section just being slide door windows which will usually lead onto a balcony over looking a park or even a rooftop garden if you are lucky. Those neighbourhoods are really charming, where you'll have little coffee shops and restaurants. Unfortunately where I lived it was mostly high end restaurants.
If you have the money to afford that you can have a really enjoyable life. It does cost a lot of money on every level thought, from the price of the house, to the increased price in supermarkets, corner stores and cafes by a quarter. Those neighbourhoods are incredible safe too.

If you want something different from your home country then it's nice to have all the different plants, humming birds etc that you will find in the parks. Again you can design buildings to be a lot more open in Lima that you can't in the U.K due to the cold. I'm not a big fan of most Peruvian food but I do love the seafood, you'd never get anything like that in the U.K. Same with Japanese fusion, although Japanese food is becoming more available back home.

You can't deny the history is amazing and it's everywhere. You are talking about a history where the old world clashed with the new world and not only that there is the civilizations before that.

I've always like arts and crafts and you can go around any of the markets here and find lots of bright colourful craftwork from ceramics to those woven furniture throws and hangings.

Peru's coast has got to be one of the most ugly places in the world. It's dead and nothing grows there but the rest of Peru (never got to see much) is amazing if you go. Great mountains, deep valleys, historical ruins, what's not to like about it!

I know some people blast some expats for not stepping out of the gringo bubble but i do like Miraflores a lot. Lots of character from the old colonial buildings to the street art you'll find on the walls of buildings. charming little cafes and restaurants and bakeries, the buzz of being in a multicultural global environment, meeting people from all over South America and the world. The malecon never gets boring. Park Olivar is San Isidro is another favourite.

I know you said the food but the posh restaurants are brilliant and a great time to spend time with the in laws or friends if you can afford it! Some are a bit too pretentious mind.

You can have a great life in the modern bubble parts of Lima. It's just in my view everything comes crashing down once you step outside of them and you have to face the endless social and developement problems that Lima and Peru has. Huge wealth divides, poor traffic infastruture, over crowded combis and buses, trash and litter everwhere, bombshell buildings with metal bars, dirt, pollution and of course the low quality of life as you have long working hours, not having much money in your pocket and having to live a hand to mouth lifestyle.
User avatar
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Not meaning to stray off topic but I've heard the major complaints about the Facebook groups are not being able to join up immediately because of the closed group format and not being able to be anonymous.
Some value their privacy.
Large and in charge!
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 pm

bigdaddy wrote:Not meaning to stray off topic but I've heard the major complaints about the Facebook groups are not being able to join up immediately because of the closed group format and not being able to be anonymous.
Some value their privacy.


Very true. I think it's not very easy to check a topic from the past as it is with a forum either, but it seems to be the way that more and more people are turning to for this information.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby toughrider » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 am

I lived in 8 different countries.

It's hard to say which one is the best as every country is different. Some things are better in some countries but then there are other benefits.

I wasn't working in Peru but I could afford to buy my home cash, had my own motorbike and bought food at the mercado so I needed little money to live off.

The disadvantage was that as a foreigner, you aren't allowed to work in Peru so it gets bored after a time. That's the main reason why I left.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:30 pm

toughrider wrote:The disadvantage was that as a foreigner, you aren't allowed to work in Peru so it gets bored after a time. That's the main reason why I left.


you are allowed - if you get the proper paperwork :D
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby toughrider » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:50 pm

mrsteak wrote:
toughrider wrote:The disadvantage was that as a foreigner, you aren't allowed to work in Peru so it gets bored after a time. That's the main reason why I left.


you are allowed - if you get the proper paperwork :D


But wants to go through all that hassle to get a job working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for a lousy wage.
You are better off on welfare in your home country.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:46 pm

toughrider wrote:But wants to go through all that hassle to get a job working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for a lousy wage.
You are better off on welfare in your home country.


yeah that's really true. With 3 kids and wife not working you are really better somewhere in the EU than on this continent. But anyway many people work under the table in Peru - there is no other explanation how they survive here.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 am

I agree with toughrider.
I'm living off a foreign pension with no money worries. But there's only so many treks you can take before you get bored and burned out.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby jumpinjack » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Wow!! More than half the people say Peru is better or the same as their home country?? Sure Peru is a nice place, I would love to hear what country and or countries are worse than Peru. Certainly can not be the food or housing or simply driving around.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm

jumpinjack wrote:Wow!! More than half the people say Peru is better or the same as their home country?? Sure Peru is a nice place, I would love to hear what country and or countries are worse than Peru. Certainly can not be the food or housing or simply driving around.


Mystery. Anyway the question was if they are doing better here than in home country - maybe they came from so miserable conditions who knows
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby toughrider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:20 pm

There are a lot of people complaining about their life in Peru. Why don't they just leave?

I enjoyed the 6 years I was living in Peru but after 6 years, I have seen it all and wanted to explore and live in another country.

I will visit Peru again as a tourist for a week or two but I am no longer interested in living there long time.

At my age, I need a steady job, good income and social security.
Here in Europe, I don't have to worry if I am out of work or if I am too sick to work. The government pays welfare benefits, free housing and free healthcare if I need it. I am guaranteed a good pension as well. Public transport is very good as well.

But in Peru, if you have no job or too sick or too old to work, you end up in the gutter. Although Peruvians pay a lot of tax, they get little in return.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby mrsteak » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 pm

toughrider wrote:Here in Europe, I don't have to worry if I am out of work or if I am too sick to work. The government pays welfare benefits, free housing and free healthcare if I need it. I am guaranteed a good pension as well. Public transport is very good as well.


Not sure what country you talk about but e.g. in Spain you will get 1 month of benefits for 1 year of work with a maximum of 6 months. After that you end in the gutter too.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Vote for Peru

Postby toughrider » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:43 pm

mrsteak wrote:
toughrider wrote:Here in Europe, I don't have to worry if I am out of work or if I am too sick to work. The government pays welfare benefits, free housing and free healthcare if I need it. I am guaranteed a good pension as well. Public transport is very good as well.


Not sure what country you talk about but e.g. in Spain you will get 1 month of benefits for 1 year of work with a maximum of 6 months. After that you end in the gutter too.


Then you move to another country. That's the advantage of the EU, you can move around, live and work in any country you want without any restrictions at all. EU citizens can also work and live in Switzerland unrestricted.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register