How can I look for language schools in Trujillo / Tacna

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
ng2816

How can I look for language schools in Trujillo / Tacna

Postby ng2816 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 pm

I will relocate in Trujillo or Tacna for learning Spanish. A lot of language schools in Lima but Trujillo / Tacna. How can I find out Spanish classes and contact the school ? Any school or class recommend ? Thanks.

samthesham

Re: How can I look for language schools in Trujillo / Tacna

Postby samthesham » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Any reason that you're relocating to Trujillo / Tacna?

Seems your best bet would be to remain in Lima if possible and attend one there.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm

There was a school in Trujillo a few years ago, but I am pretty sure it shut down. There just is not the critical mass of foreigners there. Same holds true of Tacna. Secondary cities in Peru that DO have Spanish language schools are Huancayo (at least there used to be one, you´d have to check), Arequipa ( a couple) and Cuzco (a ton).

Buena suerte.
ng2816

Postby ng2816 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks for samthesham, Alan either. Initially Lima was my priority. However, the cost of living is more expensive than Trujillo and Tacna. Stay at Lima seems being tourist not a student for learning Spanish. Also, I come from Asia. I do really afraid overcrowded cities. Lime almost is Peru's metropolis, right ? anything what I buy or take any transports for expat's price. right? It cause me quite struggle.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Lima is the largest city in Peru, and accounts for 30% of the countries population. Still, it is a popular destination for studying Spanish. It is really up to the student to decide how much they want to interact with other foreigners. Prices for things like transport, housing and food will be roughly 25% higher than smaller cities.
ng2816

Postby ng2816 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I reckon it doesn't only more 25% than Trujillo / Tacna. Compared with Lima and Asian cities, some month expenditure might be pricey, as telecom, euro brand clothing or electronics and home appliances. It's no difference with Tokyo, Seoul even Macau Hong Kong. Besides, located in Lima is quite difficult to be a real Peruvian. I mean other indigenous residents labelled me as foreigners, even though I'm totally willing accepted their culture and custom.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm

I don't see anything wrong with being labelled a foreigner; that is what we are, after all. As long as people speak to you in Spanish and not English, it shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, the places with the least foreigners are also the places with the least (or no) Spanish schools. Makes sense when you think about it.

In my experience, it is easier to meet people in smaller cities where they are naturally more curious about foreigners. You will also experience a more traditional (and sometimes quite conservative) lifestyle.

No matter where you decide to study, it is recommendable to take advantage of the schools family homestay program, where you can room and board with a local family. It is usually less expensive than other options, and it puts you in daily contact with locals.
ng2816

Postby ng2816 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Thank you Alan. I just curious what is Peruvian's conservative lifestyle ? :mrgreen:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Conservative is maybe the wrong word. I am referring to attitudes regarding things like abortion, race, gender roles, LGBTQ rights, recreational drugs, etc. In my experience, folks in smaller cities and towns are not as progressive as in the bigger cities. You can find the same phenomena in most countries, so probably the point was not worth mentioning in the first place.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register