Reasonable real estate?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reasonable real estate?

Postby woodchuck » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:36 pm

What locations would you recommend to a single retired expat looking to purchase a home in Peru at a reasonable price?
He is shocked by the prices in Lima & many other locations.
Thanks.

Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Reasonable real estate?

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 am

I would solicit the assistance of a local that knows the ins and outs of various hamlets off the beaten path.

Bear in mind that a gringo looking for RE is more than likely to pay the gringo price.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 am

Finding that "local person" is the problem.
In the smaller communities, this is virtually impossible for a recent gringo.
There is no network of real estate professionals that are experts outside of the traditional "areas of interest",
If anyone knows of such a person, please have them contact me.
This might be a good part-time profession for someone who enjoys interacting with people.
Thanks.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:41 pm

Maybe ask someone local like your barber or dentist?

They come in contact with a lot of people who may know someone who has something for sale.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:11 pm

I just wouldn't buy in Peru at all. The boats already gone on this one and if you are wanting to buy property then it really should have been done before 2010.

I would put some serious thought into just how much money you could lose if you plough half of your life savings into buying a house in Peru if the housing market crashes there. Ok it hasn't crashed yet but the prices are declining. I just wouldn't put too much faith into housing is all.

I guess one option you could do is to find cheaper and more better value property in your own country and then rent it out and use the income to rent something in Peru, although again not sure how this would work either as i've seen rent prices in Lima!
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:01 pm

If you do have rental property back home better have a care taker to handle things.
There's always the risk of renting to some deadbeats or squatters that will trash the place.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Formidable 1 wrote:Maybe ask someone local like your barber or dentist?

They come in contact with a lot of people who may know someone who has something for sale.

Try speaking to the store owners in towns/neighborhoods that you like.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:If you do have rental property back home better have a care taker to handle things.
There's always the risk of renting to some deadbeats or squatters that will trash the place.

Usually renting the property out through an agency is the best option as they will handle almost every aspect of it, including evictions if it comes to that with bad tennants.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 am

My wife and i are selling or place in San Borja. We lovev the place, but have settled in Florida finally. https://urbania.pe/inmueble/venta-de-de ... or-4080203
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the comments.
We have been "networking" as much as possible.
Real estate prices also scare me as indeed the good old days of reasonable prices have long since evaporated.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:51 pm

captcosmic wrote:My wife and i are selling or place in San Borja. We lovev the place, but have settled in Florida finally. https://urbania.pe/inmueble/venta-de-de ... or-4080203

I always wondered about these home for sale shots. They seem so sterile and cold. Looks like no one ever lived there. Doesn't even whisper, "Home Sweet Home"
Considering how buildings are built in earthquake prone, humid Peru, it reminds me of putting lipstick on a pig.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:24 pm

69roadrunner wrote:
captcosmic wrote:My wife and i are selling or place in San Borja. We lovev the place, but have settled in Florida finally. https://urbania.pe/inmueble/venta-de-de ... or-4080203

I always wondered about these home for sale shots. They seem so sterile and cold. Looks like no one ever lived there. Doesn't even whisper, "Home Sweet Home"
Considering how buildings are built in earthquake prone, humid Peru, it reminds me of putting lipstick on a pig.

The house is clean and neat, no personal items or clutter to distract. Professionals actually recommend to declutter, depersonalize and deep clean. Have you ever seen a house for sell full of "home sweet home" stuff? All that home sweet home stuff goes against the declutter recommendation. The pictures are not professional of course, but they do show you the layout enough if you are looking for a centrally located place. One man's pig is another man's bacon, lipstick or not.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register