So many fake people?!? Hard to make friends or relationships

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
thejoker007

So many fake people?!? Hard to make friends or relationships

Postby thejoker007 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Hello guys,

I am from Europe and living as an expat here in Lima, Peru. I´ve got like 3 straight years here in Lima and I´ve reached a point where I can´t keep this just for myself. When I first got here( driven by my work and the taste for adventure), I was hit by a boom of nice, friendly people, very respectful indeed. But was this for real? Hmmm. Don´t think so. After I got used to the life here in Lima, I discovered that a lot of people that I´ve met were fake, false, full of envy. I tried to make friends but that seemed to be impossible. I am a very nice person, hard working and respectful and I am looking for the same category of people to spend time with. I´m an IT engineer and I am also working in the advertisement sector. My job is perfect, I love it. I love Lima, in my opinion it is in the top 3 most beautiful cities in Latin America. I love Peru as a country! The only problem is that I can not make any friends, all people that I´ve met were everything but serious, I felt that a lot of them were hating me as a foreigner. I also tried to meet new girls, to make a relationship but all has been in vain. Nobody gives a s*** about it. Have any of you guys been through this situation? I feel so alone and disappointed :( . Could you give me some advice regarding this problem? I would like to hear your stories and your possible solutions.

Thank you in advance and wish you the best time in the world!

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: So many fake people?!? Hard to make friends or relationships

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Looking for love in all the wrong places?
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Two words. Pizza Street.
You'll be lonely no more.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:15 pm

thejoker007 wrote:Hello guys,

I am from Europe and living as an expat here in Lima, Peru. I´ve got like 3 straight years here in Lima and I´ve reached a point where I can´t keep this just for myself. When I first got here( driven by my work and the taste for adventure), I was hit by a boom of nice, friendly people, very respectful indeed. But was this for real? Hmmm. Don´t think so. After I got used to the life here in Lima, I discovered that a lot of people that I´ve met were fake, false, full of envy. I tried to make friends but that seemed to be impossible. I am a very nice person, hard working and respectful and I am looking for the same category of people to spend time with. I´m an IT engineer and I am also working in the advertisement sector. My job is perfect, I love it. I love Lima, in my opinion it is in the top 3 most beautiful cities in Latin America. I love Peru as a country! The only problem is that I can not make any friends, all people that I´ve met were everything but serious, I felt that a lot of them were hating me as a foreigner. I also tried to meet new girls, to make a relationship but all has been in vain. Nobody gives a s*** about it. Have any of you guys been through this situation? I feel so alone and disappointed :( . Could you give me some advice regarding this problem? I would like to hear your stories and your possible solutions.

Thank you in advance and wish you the best time in the world!

The inter-cultural relationships that I have seen work are where people meet though work, a common interest, or who are presented by a common friend. That way you get to know somebody in context. How about developing a hobby or a volunteer activity to find a new circle? Good luck!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 pm

thejoker007 wrote:... I felt that a lot of them were hating me as a foreigner

Why we hate you ?
billybob72
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby billybob72 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:35 am

The trick to life is finding contentment with your own company, the day you are happy with spending time with yourself is the day you'll find other people who will complement you - it takes a long time to find suitable people and there aren't many of these people for any one of us - but once you find contentment in your own company - you get choosy who you spend time and make friends with - it's a good thing I have found.

Most people are mediocre, selfish and not up to much, not just Peruvians - it's the same everywhere I have found - I include myself within this crowd but to a few people I am a great, generous, trustworthy person - just human nature, the main thing is you like where you are and it seems most of your life is pretty good. Don't expect too much from other people, especially friends - never mind strangers, and you will never be disappointed. :wink:
Donnie123

Postby Donnie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello my friend. I am from Peru but i am now in NY ( in few month i will be in Peru) I offer my friendship. Well you complaint about many thing here, it s good to tell your things here( to all members)many of them gave you some advise. I hope you can go a therapy and find a professional help. I would like to leave here a link where you will find a professional in mental help https://www.psicotrec.pe/consejera-psicoterapia
if you have some questions you can write me here or add me on Facebook but i am very busy right now...working,studying, etc etc

greeting.
gt-cri

Postby gt-cri » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Joker,

The "trick" to surround yourself with good people is to lower your estimates of quantity and quality. As said upthread, people are people. Good and bad in varying ratios. Try to see yourself as others see you? If you look for faults, you will find them! If a reasonably minor character fault makes you classify people as "fake", you will never see any good in them.

I am open to increase my "network" at any and all times and wish I had been more forgiving when I was younger! Now I have "matured" a little, I tend to be less critical of the total of others' personalities and instead concentrate on their (in my opinion) "good" qualities...therefore, the guy I have a drink with in a bar will not be told all about my wife and kids, as this would be straying from the reason for meeting...a drink and a chat about nothing of significance. In other words, a nice hour or two in good company.

Then again, it is a subjective issue and everyone will be different. For what it is worth, I invite you to PM me (if you want to) and we could meet and have that drink and chat? I always enjoy meeting new people from different backgrounds and have been around myself...some people tell me they like my "war-stories", while others find it hard to suppress their yawns! :wink:

Best wishes and suerte!
gt
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Learning to be positive at a very young age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTgOLLmTQI0

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register