Does this make any sense?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does this make any sense?

Postby woodchuck » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:29 pm

We have recently relocated from Lima to Huaral & use BCP bank.
I went to deposit $1,000 the other day & the teller told me there would be no charges.
Today, I wanted to deposit a similar amount & was told there would be a charge of 4-5 dollars as my card was issued in Lima?
Why was the deposit "free/no charge" one day & not the next?
Is there any chance that the teller is being dishonest & pocketing the supposed extra fee?
Thanks.

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Does this make any sense?

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:03 pm

What it make sense to me, is asking the administrator of the Bank , why they charge you that extra fee

BCP has 1 or more desk name as "plataforma" , they could give you the correct answer. It would be interesting to know what really happens..

Good luck in Huaral !

Do you have some pictures of the area where you are living ?
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:57 pm

woodchuck wrote:We have recently relocated from Lima to Huaral & use BCP bank.
I went to deposit $1,000 the other day & the teller told me there would be no charges.
Today, I wanted to deposit a similar amount & was told there would be a charge of 4-5 dollars as my card was issued in Lima?
Is there any chance that the teller is being dishonest & pocketing the supposed extra fee?
Thanks.

Wouldn't put it past them.
Easy money made since they probably think you wouldn't object to the fee being a gringo.
Large and in charge!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:03 am

woodchuck wrote:We have recently relocated from Lima to Huaral & use BCP bank.
Thanks.

Any transaction that the teller manages for you should be backed up by a receipt. So, if you are charged $4, and the teller gives you a receipt, the teller would need to justify the loss of said $4 at the end of the day if he/she pockets it.

I know that you can be charged an additional fee for withdrawals when you are outside of your "assigned" area, so I am not surprised that they do this for deposits, too. Easy money for them. Like Windsport says, ask the administrator or check the policy for your account. The bank should have a binder on hand that you can review.

Some accounts allow a certain amount of given transactions for free per month (for example, doing a transaction with a live teller as opposed to an ATM), so maybe the first was free. Lots of possible reasons to consider before assuming that the teller is ripping off the client.

All the best.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 pm

G'day all,

I notice that Woodchuck said that was using $'s...I assume US dollars.
A little off topic, but in the theme of BCP, it was my experience, in the latter part of last year, that BCP's ATMs stopped issuing withdrawals in US$'s...only to be in Soles.
No-one could give me a logical answer...just "new policy".
This was in the Lima area,so don't know about other areas.

What is your experience Woodchuck, with ATM withdrawals?

Is the main reason that I opted to use Scotiabank, after I could actually open a bank account here.

Cheers,
W
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:42 pm

The last BCP ATM withdrawal I made 4 months ago was in Lima & I was able to receive dollars.
Haven't tried any BCP $ withdrawals here in Huaral.
I opened a BCP account when I was traveling Peru looking for a new place to live.
Will probably close my BCP account & go with Scotia.

PS - many people have asked for pictures of where we are at in Huaral.
Give me some time to get this accomplished - please.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Was having some upgrades done to my 2 casitas in Huaral & wanted cash from BCP.
BCP in Huaral was going to charges $20 to receive $2,000 (1 % of the amount which is a sliding scale) as my account is still in Lima; what difference should it make?
$20 is probably the salary of one mid-level person at the bank for one day - if not more.
What about the $20,000 I had deposited in January 2018 (& not touched) when I was searching for a new place. BCP certainly loaned out my money & made a nice profit during that time!
It was in a regular account (no interest) as I didn't know how quickly I would need access to the money.
Definitely Scotia for me!
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:46 pm

G'day Woodchuck,

I am with Scotiabank Peru for 3 months now. So I will tell you that they ALSO charge to receive international transfers. Their standard charge is $24.00 for any amount.

I have heavily debated that with them, as it comes out of my transferred Aussie navy pension( by the Aussie government) and I don't consider it fair, for the same reasons you said about what banks do with our money....but to no avail.
So me being a persistant bugger, I also said that when I transfer other monies from Aust', through a money transfer/exchange company in Sydney, Scotia does not take a whack out of that !!
Well,bugger me... the customer service lady then showed me the details,on her computer, of my last transfer, and there was a non-disclosed $18 commission for them on my transfer.
Then she actually then said to me..."you have not seen that private information,have you?!!"

Carumba !! Banks have more moves than a cut snake !! :(

Que sera,sera . :roll:

Cheers,
W
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Wiracocha wrote:G'day Woodchuck,

I am with Scotiabank Peru for 3 months now. So I will tell you that they ALSO charge to receive international transfers. Their standard charge is $24.00 for any amount.

I have heavily debated that with them, as it comes out of my transferred Aussie navy pension( by the Aussie government) and I don't consider it fair, for the same reasons you said about what banks do with our money....but to no avail.
So me being a persistant bugger, I also said that when I transfer other monies from Aust', through a money transfer/exchange company in Sydney, Scotia does not take a whack out of that !!
Well,bugger me... the customer service lady then showed me the details,on her computer, of my last transfer, and there was a non-disclosed $18 commission for them on my transfer.
Then she actually then said to me..."you have not seen that private information,have you?!!"

Cheers,
W

Makes us wonder......Why did we choose this way of life.
Cheers
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:26 pm

jumpinjack wrote:

Cheers,
W

Makes us wonder......Why did we choose this way of life.
Cheers

From the movie God Father, "It is the life we chose".
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:52 am

Does anyone know if ScotiaBank charges a fee to accept Xoom deposits/transfers?
In a recent transaction, BCP (with a Lima account) did not charge any extra fees for a Xoom deposit.
Maybe we should start a new bank in Peru - Gringo Financial?
I await your replies
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 am

I have heavily debated that with them, as it comes out of my transferred Aussie navy pension( by the Aussie governpment) and I don't consider it fair, for the same reasons you said about what banks do with our money....but to no avail.

Cheers,
W

Man o man, with all those fees andcommissions added up, you could hit the menus many many times.

Cheers!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:13 am

YES, banking has always been a very profitable business no matter where you live.
From what I understand it would be very difficult & expensive to open a new bank here in Peru.
I would be willing to work as a consultant for FREE, with future stock options for my time.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register