Why is Peruvian land more expensive than US land?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why is Peruvian land more expensive than US land?

Postby rudder » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I was interested in getting some land in Peru, but then looked at all the exorbitant prices. Looks like the USA is cheaper in many areas. I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why is Peruvian land more expensive than US land?

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Trump
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:11 pm

rudder wrote:I was interested in getting some land in Peru, but then looked at all the exorbitant prices. Looks like the USA is cheaper in many areas. I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Please please tell us where the land in the USA is cheaper than in Peru.
G'day
Cheers
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:05 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
rudder wrote:I was interested in getting some land in Peru, but then looked at all the exorbitant prices. Looks like the USA is cheaper in many areas. I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Please please tell us where the land in the USA is cheaper than in Peru.
G'day
Cheers

x2
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:29 pm

rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rudder » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Some prices are actually reasonable, but really nothing dirt cheap unless the seller doesn’t have a title. As an example of what I’m talking about, just look at the Tarapoto RE market. Exorbitant prices for 3rd world parcels.

Does anyone know how that works? Some sellers say to do a contrato de compra y venta with a judge and notary, but wouldn’t these officials demand actual proof of ownership from the seller? It just seems shady, and I think this is where people get involved with real estate conflicts like multiple owners, invasions, illegitimate inheritance, illegal subdivisions, etc. Those are some common horror stories from Peru.
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
onetakenatep

Postby onetakenatep » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:03 am

Market conditions, government regulations, and cost of doing business considerations aside, just from a geographic, topographic, and climatic standpoint I think it should be pretty obvious as to why this is the case.

North, south, east, and west, Peru is a land of extremes. Bone-dry coastal deserts, steep valleys, cold windswept high altitude plains, ultra high mountains, and the most dense jungle in the world (a lot of which is protected from legal ownership and development). Not a ton of good and easily developable land here for the taking.

The USA is blessed with pretty much endless flat arable land in a temperate climate that is easy for developing cropland or infrastructure/housing. It's really such a low hanging fruit that the USA doesn't even bother with doing things like terracing like they do here in Peru. Imagine if Appalachia was terraced like the Andes.

Supply (amount of available good land) has to be the main underlying issue here. Relative to Peru, the USA has an infinite amount of good land with its more favorable terrain and climate.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register