New port in Chancay

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

New port in Chancay

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 pm

Peru will have the best and biggest port in the Ocean Pacific, South America Region..

It will be able to receive the biggest container ships in the World. Those big cargo ships are triple E Class of about 400 meters long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVjZccg_js

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New port in Chancay

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:40 am

windsportinperu wrote:Peru will have the best and biggest port in the Ocean Pacific, South America Region..

It will be able to receive the biggest container ships in the World. Those big cargo ships are triple E Class of about 400 meters long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVjZccg_js

Can't wait for those big ol' trucks barreling up and down the already clogged roads.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:48 am

The good news is that the Cargo from-and-to northern cities as Chimbote, Trujillo, Chiclayo, etc. will not arrive to Callao Port anymore. This will relieve the pressure of traffic in Lima, at least for districts as Los Olivos, San Martin de Porres, Ventanilla, etc.
Last edited by windsportinperu on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 am

windsportinperu wrote:The good news is that the Cargo from-and-to northern cities as Chimbote, Trujillo, Chiclayo, etc. will not arrive to Callao Port anymore. This will relieve the pressure of traffic in Lima, at least for districts as Los Olivos, Ventanilla, etc.

Bad news is, the northern cities must absorb Lima's relief.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 am

And oil spills bound to happen.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 am

They will absorb nothing. The traffic will be the same because the demand is the same.

The 2º good news, is a new Law that will allow maritime transport of goods and merchandise across the ocean. This will greatly reduce the cost of transport goods and will relieve the traffic in Panamericana Highway : Ley de Cabotaje
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:37 am

windsportinperu wrote:They will absorb nothing. The traffic will be the same because the demand is the same.

The 2º good news, is a new Law that will allow maritime transport of goods and merchandise across the ocean. This will greatly reduce the cost of transport goods and will relieve the traffic in Panamericana Highway : Ley de Cabotaje

What does this mean "a new Law that will allow maritime transport of goods and merchandise across the ocean"?
The new law will allow goods in Lima bound north can go by ship instead of truck and vice versa?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:21 pm

69roadrunner wrote: The new law will allow goods in Lima bound north can go by ship instead of truck and vice versa?

Yes you are right. They will be smaller cargo ships that will go from Callao and (the future Chancay Port) to the rest of the Ports in the Country by sea

P.S. Considering that one of those smaller ships could transport 100 to 300 containers It is 100 to 300 container trucks not driving in the Pan. Highway
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:45 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
69roadrunner wrote: The new law will allow goods in Lima bound north can go by ship instead of truck and vice versa?

Yes you are right. They will be smaller cargo ships that will go from Callao and (the future Chancay Port) to the rest of the Ports in the Country by sea

P.S. Considering that one of those smaller ships could transport 100 to 300 containers It is 100 to 300 container trucks not driving in the Pan. Highway

Begs the question, why would anyone send a container to Lima when it is bound for Chancay only to be offloaded and loaded onto a smaller ship. Why not ship it to Chancay in the first place?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:54 pm

I hope I got the meaning of your question.

Let's see an example: a big EEE cargo ships goes from Shangai to Chancay. Once it arrive to Chancay it is needed to transport thousands of containers to the rest of the Country. It is Lima City but also to the rest of the Ports. Let's say 200 containers are needed to be transported from Chancay to Ilo Port (Moquegua), so they are loaded from the big monster to the smaller Cabotage ship container. The same viceversa

P.S. a big EEE cargo ship carry thousands of containers

Actually (March 2019). The only big port is Callao and once the cargo ship arrive, all the containers are distributed by land to the rest of the country. Same viceversa. Callao cannot receive the very big EEE ships
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:57 pm

3º good news. As we all know, Bolivia lost its access to the Ocean Pacific. The Peace-Treaty between Chile-Bolivia forces Chile to give free Ports to Bolivia, but it is not really free.

Bolivia has had a lot of trouble trying to import-export to/from the rest of the World. They actually do it across Arica and Iquique in Chile. These Ports only work 8 hours a day. If the truck from Bolivia to Chile arrive out of time, have to wait. Deliberate strikes and unnecessary bureaucratic issues. Bolivians are treated with dIsdain in Chile and they have to wait several days and sometimes weeks. They have to pay additional restaurants+hostels+parking+warehouse in Chile. It is not really free

Tired of this, Bolivia request help to Peru. This 2018 has changed a little bit. Bolivia for the first time received their goods through Ilo, in Peru. There is an agreement Peru-Bolivia, so we has made a lot of improvements in Ilo Port to help Bolivia. Now, they have free warehouse space for 90 days. Ilo Port work 24 hours a day + 30% discount for all Bolivian !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oatomd4qVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXv6iIBLps
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:28 pm

It´s great news. The truck situation in Callao has become a real bottle neck. A good selection of working ports throughout the country is also useful during El Niño when you need to get aid in to coastal regions.

On the subject of shipping, I have always wondered why there isn´t more port to port traffic here to move non-time sensitive local goods between cities, for example, rice from Chiclayo to Lima.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:44 pm

There was an International business proposal for building a Cruise Port in Lima.

The first option was rejected by Miraflores District, so the new possible options could be San Isidro o Magdalena del Mar !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQA7dh14nsM

P.S. Could be built in about 20 months and investment of 200 millions of dollar . Could receive 200 ships and 400,000 tourist
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:46 pm

G'day all,

I am curious to know whose money is financing all this ? Can any informed person enlighten me,please? ( and I don't mean Beep Beep)

Why do I have the suspicion that it is Chinese money, as the financier is not disclosed here. IF it's a loan from China to Peru, then this could eventuate into a "debt trap", a favourite tactic of the Asians.

Now, if my suspicion is valid, one could safely bet that in the near future, the Chinese will put pressure on Peru to permit miliatry & navy vessles to have a base here to repay the debt.

Beware of the "Trojan Horse"...I guess I am somewhat paranoid about this, but is happening in other countries less that 1st world status....hate to see it happen here.

Awaiting comments...might put on my hard hat. though!! :-)

Cheers,
W
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Wiracocha wrote:G'day all,

I am curious to know whose money is financing all this ? Can any informed person enlighten me,please? ( and I don't mean Beep Beep)

Why do I have the suspicion that it is Chinese money, as the financier is not disclosed here. IF it's a loan from China to Peru, then this could eventuate into a "debt trap", a favourite tactic of the Asians.

Now, if my suspicion is valid, one could safely bet that in the near future, the Chinese will put pressure on Peru to permit miliatry & navy vessles to have a base here to repay the debt.

Beware of the "Trojan Horse"...I guess I am somewhat paranoid about this, but is happening in other countries less that 1st world status....hate to see it happen here.

Awaiting comments...might put on my hard hat. though!! :-)

Cheers,
W

Apparently it will cost around $US 3 Billion dollars to build. There are two partners, the private Chinese firm Cosco Shipping at 60%, and the other Volcan Mining at 40%, which is a publicly traded company, but which has an important Peruvian participation in the ownership and management. China imports Peru's minerals, and Volcan is an important producer of zinc and lead, so the partnership seems pretty strategic.

These are private firms, and the port is a private initiative, so the financing should be private, too. In terms of financing, who knows, maybe the World Bank will kick in, or they will hit up some other multi-lateral lender or regional development bank for loans, but I don't see why the Peruvian government would need to get involved in the financing (and even if they did, it would be as a lender, not a borrower) so the project shouldn't lead to the problem you suggest. Peru should welcome the investment: it makes the country richer, and the port will increase productivity.

http://financiardesarrollo.blogspot.com ... llara.html

On the other hand, Venezuela down the road has sold their soul to the Chinese and Russian governments, and that's going to be a tricky bargain for them to manage in the future.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 pm

Hello Alan,
"On the other hand, Venezuela down the road has sold their soul to the Chinese and Russian governments, and that's going to be a tricky bargain for them to manage in the future."

Exactly my concern for Peru in the long term. It all sounds really beaut on the surface and could do well for some years, but again what I said is from experience of watching other countries doing a similar thing.
Hope it's not the same here....on the other hand, most people will forget such a warning in the future...and when it gets "tricky"...they may say "WTF happened ". :-(

Also, hope this is not another Odebreck(? spelling) type deal!!

What is both good and SAFE for Peru is my concern.

Cheers,
W
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:15 am

I am looking forward to an additional container terminal. Most carriers only have one vessel per route per week. Hopefully this will now increase.

I must admit that I also thought that Peru has sold a a part of its soul again. Here in Huanuco local government sold off a new hydro power plant for half of the construction price to a Chinese corporation. The Peruvian government officials off course pocketed large sums of money. But it came out and people went to the streets. Large protests for days. The Governor said that the deal was already made and they could not back out.

It is likely that the Chinese will increase the prices of energy significantly. So the Huanuco citizens are screwed twice. First for building the plant, and second for increased energy rates.

I do not blaim the Chinese. It's just a business deal for them. The Peruvians who pocketed millions though should be shot on site. Shame on them.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:52 pm

FDiH wrote:I am looking forward to an additional container terminal. Most carriers only have one vessel per route per week. Hopefully this will now increase.

I must admit that I also thought that Peru has sold a a part of its soul again. Here in Huanuco local government sold off a new hydro power plant for half of the construction price to a Chinese corporation. The Peruvian government officials off course pocketed large sums of money. But it came out and people went to the streets. Large protests for days. The Governor said that the deal was already made and they could not back out.

It is likely that the Chinese will increase the prices of energy significantly. So the Huanuco citizens are screwed twice. First for building the plant, and second for increased energy rates.

I do not blaim the Chinese. It's just a business deal for them. The Peruvians who pocketed millions though should be shot on site. Shame on them.

Shame on YOU. Advocating murder and violence is never a solution
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:03 pm

The Cost of Electricity is regulated by OSINERGMIN . As far as I know, no private company could make an increment in kw/hour

http://www.osinergmin.gob.pe/seccion/in ... ente-final

The Chinese company is the owner of the Hydroelectric Plant, but not of the Distribution System of Electricity (Red Electrica Nacional)

If the new Hydroelectric Plant is Chaglla, then that Company was sold by a private company Odebrecht to China three Gorges Corporation

https://gestion.pe/economia/empresas/od ... lla-251370

P.S. When I listen about corruption in Peru , i do not know why but inmediately after, I imagine a modern French Guillotine
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:55 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
P.S. When I listen about corruption in Peru , i do not know why but inmediately after, I imagine a modern French Guillotine

Viva la Revolution!
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm

windsportinperu wrote:

I think of banns republic, lol
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:59 am

Wiracocha wrote:Hello Alan,
"On the other hand, Venezuela down the road has sold their soul to the Chinese and Russian governments, and that's going to be a tricky bargain for them to manage in the future."

Exactly my concern for Peru in the long term. It all sounds really beaut on the surface and could do well for some years, but again what I said is from experience of watching other countries doing a similar thing.
Hope it's not the same here....on the other hand, most people will forget such a warning in the future...and when it gets "tricky"...they may say "WTF happened ". :-(

Also, hope this is not another Odebreck(? spelling) type deal!!

What is both good and SAFE for Peru is my concern.

Cheers,
W

Odebrecht is a mess, but fundamentally different. They were providers to the Peruvian state, and signed lucrative contracts based in some cases on kickbacks to the goverment officials. The contracts ended up costing Peruvians even more due to the many addendums that were tagged on to pay for "cost overruns". These addendums didn't receive the supervision they should have. But its a different relationship than the port. There, it's all private, and the expenses they charge, and the profit they make later, is on them.

I get the whole "fear of foreign investors" thing... but if it's handled correctly, it can be a boon to a country. Peru is lucky that we are now stable enough to attract people who want to invest here. It creates employment and generates wealth through taxation. Nothing is stopping Peruvians from investing in these projects too, if they have the money and intention. But the truth of the matter is that not too many companies or groups locally have the billions of dollars necessary to invest in mega projects like mines and ports.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Alan wrote: Nothing is stopping Peruvians from investing in these projects too, if they have the money and intention. But the truth of the matter is that not too many companies or groups locally have the billions of dollars necessary to invest in mega projects like mines and ports.

For building Port we also need the know-how and expertise

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register