SERPOST & CUSTOMS AGENCY

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

SERPOST & CUSTOMS AGENCY

Postby Wiracocha » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 pm

G'day all,
Could someone with the experience please advise me about sending mail type parcel/box to overseas.

In so far as, I know that the Serpost office inspects all mail...envelopes or boxes, before they accept them for posting...but my query is :- after that Serpost check,do then Customs also open the box/carton for a second inspection before it's sent on its way out of the country?

I am not thinking of doing anything tricky/illegal, but maybe to send model railway structures to a mate in Australia....they are rather delicate(plastic) and I would hate to think that Customs here would tear it/them apart looking for doubtful stuff and wreck the models. I was hoping that they just run parcels through x-ray things, and all would be well??!!
I know in Aussie, the Customs just run parcels through scanners and only open IF they see anything suss.

Hope someone can share their wisdom with me.

Cheers,
W

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SERPOST & CUSTOMS AGENCY

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:59 am

Hello Wiracocha

I have always used EMS - Express Mail Service - with Serpost. Once it is sealed by printed tape at the post office, In my experience has never been open again. But it could be open if someone think something inside is illegal or dangerous

Serpost works as follow: In the area where I am, there is an small office. Every day, the gathered packages are picked up by a van and sent to a bigger office (administracion). you might skip less handling by sending your package to the bigger office.

In this list there are some addresses of administracion and sucursal all together. Notice that suc. = sucursal = small office

http://www.serpost.com.pe/oficinaCorreoGiro.html
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Thank you Windy.

Sounds good.

Oh,there is a principal Serpost complex a few minutes from me in Los Olivos...so no worries.

Cheers,
W
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Or it could be opened and stolen if someone thinks it's valuable.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:14 am

windsportinperu wrote:Hello Wiracocha

I have always used EMS - Express Mail Service - with Serpost. Once it is sealed by printed tape at the post office, In my experience has never been open again. But it could be open if someone think something inside is illegal or dangerous

Serpost works as follow: In the area where I am, there is an small office. Every day, the gathered packages are picked up by a van and sent to a bigger office (administracion). you might skip less handling by sending your package to the bigger office.

In this list there are some addresses of administracion and sucursal all together. Notice that suc. = sucursal = small office

http://www.serpost.com.pe/oficinaCorreoGiro.html

DHL seems to be a better choice.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31381&p=157526#p157524

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register