Big and Beautiful Parks in Lima...

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big and Beautiful Parks in Lima...

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm

Lima as a City has made a great effort in creating big Parks the last decades. Some of them are really big...

Parque Zonal Huascar in VES (Villa El Salvador). 53 hectares, micro-zoo and a lagoon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAj2eet4VbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF2Fnr36fL0

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Big and Beautiful Parks in Lima...

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:15 am

Good to see there is some more green spaces being added to Lima. I was very lucky where I lived when I was there as there was eight small parks within a 4 block radius for walking my dogs, but sometimes you want to go to a green space that is a lot larger.

I love the Malecon and the Park in San Isidro but other than that the best green space in Lima and that was in walking distance for me was Jardins del La Paz which was a cemetary. Being a cemetary and not an actual park meant you couldn't take dogs or bike there. Still it had some nice views of the Laguna!

Although small Parque Amarillos was really nice as well.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Some of my favorites:

Parque de las Aguas... a really nice park that brings the community together. Even though they charge to enter, it's innexpensive and definitely worth it. You see entire families there.

Malecon de Miraflores... it's hard to imagine, but 20 years ago, these spaces were terrible. Now they are a tourist attraction and they have certainly added a lot of value to the apartments that overlook them.

Parque Reducto #5... a solemn place, since it was a battle ground and there is a cript under the flagpole, but its a tranquil place for a picnic, and you can often see people doing Tai Chi in the park. There is a small site museum there that details the war with chile in 1879. There is also an old locomotive that the kids love to climb around.

Parque de las Tradiciones (on Ricardo Palma), this park is in the middle of a busy street, but what I love about it is the way they have created small hills (about one meter high) which greatly reduce the sound of traffic. A great design.

But yeah, Lima could use some more public green spaces. Good for families, good for peace of mind...

It would be great if one day a part of the air force base in Surco (which is huge) could be turned into a park. Also, the area around the hipodromo is mostly unused, but belongs to the Jockey club. That would be brilliant to have a public park there.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Alan wrote: Malecon de Miraflores... it's hard to imagine, but 20 years ago, these spaces were terrible. Now they are a tourist attraction and they have certainly added a lot of value to the apartments that overlook them.

Alan, I found this good video about the Malecon ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrMEgI93WA
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:52 am

I don't mind the tourist aspect to the Malecon as it makes it feel like you are in an active international city and the views over the bay are really nice. Plus it's a good 8km walk one way to Barranco so you can make a proper walk out of it (although the link between Barranco and Miraflores isn't great). Each of the parks along the Malecon have a different character and there's some nice restaurants like Bueno Vista to stop off at.

For me there is only two places I could think about when it comes to living in Lima and that's Miraflores or La Molina. It's basically with growing up around nature and being blessed with the sea, lakes and hills around you means you need that green areas in your life. I just can't seem to function properly as a person without greenery. You just get so depressed when your mood is crushed by the cramped, grotty, noise of Lima's every day life. It really can be a soul destroying city in places. Plus I know deep down I'm not a city person.

La Molina is nice because it doesn't feel like you are in Lima until you get over the hill (at which point you think FFS as you hit rush hour traffic!). You have all these nice little parks set into long finger like valleys which are barely 4 blocks wide. You are surrounded by mountains and it just feels so much more relaxed than the rest of Lima. Off the main roads there is very little traffic and it's a reasonable walk to Laguna La Molina which although only a tiny park is probably up there with the Malecon. It's main benefit being there is very little people there so you can just crash out for an afternoon in peace and quiet, feeding the carp or the ducks. It's a real shame there isn't more parks with a decent water feature more around Lima.

One thing I really miss doing once in a while is fishing. It would be nice to be able to go fishing somewhere just to get away from city life.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register