Lima at spot 121 in the Mercer "COST OF LIVING CITY RANKING"

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lima at spot 121 in the Mercer "COST OF LIVING CITY RANKING"

Postby FDiH » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:08 am

https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/Ins ... g-rankings

Top 10:

Rank City Country/Region
1 Hong Kong Hong Kong (SAR)
2 Tokyo Japan
3 Singapore Singapore
4 Seoul South Korea
5 Zürich Switzerland
6 Shanghai China
7 Ashgabat Turkmenistan
8 Beijing China
9 New York United States
10 Shenzhen China

Montevideo at #70 is the most expensive Latam city in the list. La Paz at #195 is the cheapest Latam city in the list.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lima at spot 121 in the Mercer "COST OF LIVING CITY RANKING"

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:29 am

And the fourth most expensive city in South America! You feel it with real estate, rents, the price of gas, private schools.

According to Mercer (who did the study) Lima is expensive because our currency, the Sol, has not devalued as much vis-a-vis the dollar as our neighbors in the region. But I think that is only part of it. Gas is taxed heavily, and the cost of building apartments has risen because of higher building standards imposed, and the hike in land prices in desired areas.

I am curious... where do the rest of you feel the high prices? What about the bargains?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 am

Alan wrote:And the fourth most expensive city in South America! You feel it with real estate, rents, the price of gas, private schools.

According to Mercer (who did the study) Lima is expensive because our currency, the Sol, has not devalued as much vis-a-vis the dollar as our neighbors in the region. But I think that is only part of it. Gas is taxed heavily, and the cost of building apartments has risen because of higher building standards imposed, and the hike in land prices in desired areas.

I am curious... where do the rest of you feel the high prices? What about the bargains?

Bargains would definitely be eating at menus.
And transportation costs are very low if you rely on taxis and combis or walk or bike to get around.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:47 am

Living at provinces is even more cheaper !

In the case of Lima:
Medical Services as Solidaridad is dirt cheap. Even though with mass migration , it is a little more crowded
Clothing is very cheap. The above report says a man-jeans for 70 usd, but you can get a very good quality non-branded blue-jean for 60 soles = 18usd

Quality-of-life in Lima is as good as in Montevideo, Buenos Aires or Santiago, but far way more cheaper. It is a plus, Living near the Ocean and the sunset

P.S. The main problem in Lima = traffic
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:05 pm

windsportinperu wrote:P.S. The main problem in Lima = traffic

And decent cuisine unless rice and chicken is what will sustain you.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:35 pm

windsportinperu wrote:

a man-jeans for 70 usd, but you can get a very good quality non-branded blue-jean for 60 soles = 18usd

What about mom jeans? I've been hankering for a pair ever since I saw this guy wearing them.
https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/photo- ... rack-Obama
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Formidable 1 wrote: What about mom jeans? I've been hankering for a pair ever since I saw this guy wearing them

There was an old-fashion jeans in the 60's and 70's the name in spanish was "jean acampanado"

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=jean ... 66&bih=615
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Ah, another one... Painters. Very inexpensive to hire someone to paint your house. Carpentry, too, although on 2 occassions we've had them make off with the advance payment :shock: Some musical instruments are inexpensive.. you can find an okay locally made accoustic guitar for a couple hundred. And interprovincial bus tickets.. another bargain.. full 180 degree recline.. for $35 dollars for a 10 hour ride.
billybob72
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby billybob72 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:33 am

I enjoy Lima a great deal. I lived in Buenos Aires a few years ago (I heard it has gone downhill since then...) and though I liked my life there, Lima is a far nicer city. The only thing it lacks over Buenos Aires is the metro/subte which went everywhere in the city, I know Lima has one line but when it has a few lines and one that is accessible in Jesus Maria - then it will be a great city to live in! :lol:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register