Pan American Sport 2019 Inauguration and Closing Ceremony - Just Amazing !

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pan American Sport 2019 Inauguration and Closing Ceremony - Just Amazing !

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:54 am

The Inauguration and Closing Ceremony of Pan American Sports 2019 in Lima were amazing

It was inclusive of all Peru. All regions were depicted. Were colorful, interesting, emotional and funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmVF2MRycEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSo7Y-T4no

Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pan American Sport 2019 Inauguration and Closing Ceremony - Just Amazing !

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:07 pm

windsportinperu wrote:The Inauguration and Closing Ceremony of Pan American Sports 2019 in Lima were amazing

It was inclusive of all Peru. All regions were depicted. Were colorful, interesting, emotional and funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmVF2MRycEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSo7Y-T4no

Sorry I couldn't find a YouTube video listing the medal table but here's a link...

https://www.insidethegames.biz/games/36/medals
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Formidable, Both Videos add up 5 hours, but you answer takes on 15 minutes ? :D

USA is as always at the top of Medals in most of the Sports..

Peru has made its best participation in Games like that.

The good news is that all the New Infrastructure will provide of new places for people to practice more sports, than ever before in Peru

Are you as happy as I am for that good news ?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Not really when this is taken into consideration:

"Peru’s largest ever sporting event came at price tag of about $1 billion. Organizers said that was about half as much as Toronto 2015 and that the project created world-class infrastructure for the 9 million residents of the Peruvian capital located in a desert across from the Pacific Ocean. But some said the government should have instead spent that money in poor communities that lack drainage, roads and drinking water in one of the world’s driest capitals."

That's a lot of money that the majority of needy Peruvians will never see.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/p ... edirect=on
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 pm

A big whole paragraph talking about Toledo and Alan Garcia, was totally unnecessary. There was not even a hangover as was stated. People were not drunk or partying at night after the Games. The next day everything was as normal as during the days of the Games

The pessimistic report did not mention that most of the Infrastructure was built at poor locations as Villa El Salvador and will help young people to stay healthy and away from drugs and things like that
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm

windsportinperu wrote:A big whole paragraph talking about Toledo and Alan Garcia, was totally unnecessary. There was not even a hangover as was stated. People were not drunk or partying at night after the Games. The next day everything was as normal as during the days of the Games

The pessimistic report did not mention that most of the Infrastructure was built at poor locations as Villa El Salvador and will help young people to stay healthy and away from drugs and things like that

Hangover not in drunken party terms but having to pay the price of maintaining that infrastructure.
It won't happen by itself.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Formidable 1 wrote:Not really when this is taken into consideration:

"Peru’s largest ever sporting event came at price tag of about $1 billion. Organizers said that was about half as much as Toronto 2015 and that the project created world-class infrastructure for the 9 million residents of the Peruvian capital located in a desert across from the Pacific Ocean. But some said the government should have instead spent that money in poor communities that lack drainage, roads and drinking water in one of the world’s driest capitals."

That's a lot of money that the majority of needy Peruvians will never see.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/p ... edirect=on

I have read estimates of 1.2 billion dollars, which if divided by the number of Peruvians, works out to roughly 40 dollars per person. Given that a good chunk of that money went to pay for local labour, and local goods (such as cement), that money went back into the economy. Also, there are other benefits that are different to calculate, like the exposure Peru got abroad, which pays dividends down the road in tourism. So, yeah, maybe it was expensive, but it's not as bad as it seems.

Also, Peru is left with the legacy of the infrastructure, and a different kind of contract that brought the project in on time, and on budget. This experience will hopefully pay dividends down the road.

But yes.. the its going to cost a lot to upkeep. I heard 2million a year for the infrastructure built in Villa Maria de Triumpha (incredible location, btw... a beautiful site with the pool and a couple stadiums built among hills with sprawling construction). I thought that was a risky, but good decision to build there.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Uhhhh, I don't think one would actually pay each Peruvian. Just provide for the good of the residents. Sanitary conditions, for a start and clean water, etc. Jeez What a cop out
tmarty1

Postby tmarty1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Now that the games have concluded, I would like to know the availability to visit/use the racquetball courts at the REGIONAL SPORTS VILLAGE OF CALLAO. Up until the Pan Am games, racquetball has been pretty much unknown in Lima.

Are there players from Lima?

I am visiting Lima again in early September, and want to play, at least once but maybe more?

None of my contacts in Lima have any idea of any players there. ..
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Is the same RacketBall as Squash ?
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:11 am

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Neven ilic, The President of Panam Sport said that this was the greatest ever seen organization of all the events ! :o
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:03 pm

tmarty1 wrote:Now that the games have concluded, I would like to know the availability to visit/use the racquetball courts at the REGIONAL SPORTS VILLAGE OF CALLAO. Up until the Pan Am games, racquetball has been pretty much unknown in Lima.

Are there players from Lima?

I am visiting Lima again in early September, and want to play, at least once but maybe more?

None of my contacts in Lima have any idea of any players there. ..

I have never heard of anybody playing racquetball here. It's all squash and fronton. You'd quickly become the national champ!
tmarty1

Postby tmarty1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:19 pm

As for racquetball, I guess they built these courts for the Pan Am games, but Peru did not have a team?

Can someone tell me what will the Sports Complex be used for now that the games are over? Peru spent a lot of money to update and renovate for the games. It would be a shame to go to waste.

BTW Squash is much like racquetball. Different racquets and different ball, but pretty much the same otherwise.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 pm

If you want to keep researching, try using the word "raquetbol", which is the translation into Spanish. I couldn´t find any reference of a Peruvian team, and like I say, I've never met anyone here who plays it... as opposed to squash (Peru won the men's gold).

While I was surfing the web, I did come across this note. Look what happened in the men's final in raquetbol. OUCH!

https://depor.com/full-deportes/otros-d ... czd-126935
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:39 pm

As far as I know all the new infrastructure will be given and administrated by their respective "Federaciones"

Probably Raquetball is going to be administrated by the "Federación de Squash" they could have a better answer to your questions.

https://squash.pe/

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register