Argentina Economic Crisis is awful, will it affect Peru ?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Argentina Economic Crisis is awful, will it affect Peru ?

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:25 am

Argentina has had an awful economic crisis, and it seem to be that President Macri will not find a solution...

Devaluation of their money and high inflation, low salaries, etc.

My guessing is that we will see in Peru, thousands and thousands of Argentinians in the Short Term

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -argentina

Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Argentina Economic Crisis is awful, will it affect Peru ?

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am

windsportinperu wrote:Argentina has had an awful economic crisis, and it seem to be that President Macri will not find a solution...

Devaluation of their money and high inflation, low salaries, etc.

My guessing is that we will see in Peru, thousands and thousands of Argentinians in the Short Term

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -argentina

Along with all the Venezuelans already in Peru, there's no telling how high the crime rate will go.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:53 am

Maybe they will bring their cattle with them and knowledge so we can have some decent beef.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am

Argentina and Peru have a long tradition of being good friends, not only at the Government Level, but also at person-to-person contact

We love them, as they love us... so it's reciprocal

Fortunately Argentina does not have high level of crimes, so I hope crimes will not be increased, but cost of renting could be higher

Red meat in Argentina is one of the best in the World , and if they bring their breeds, will be welcome
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 am

windsportinperu wrote:Argentina and Peru have a long tradition of being good friends, not only at the Government Level, but also at person-to-person contact

We love them, as they love us... so it's reciprocal

Fortunately Argentina does not have high level of crimes, so I hope crimes will not be increased, but cost of renting could be higher

Red meat in Argentina is one of the best in the World , and if they bring their breeds, will be welcome

Do you have the crime rate stats for Argentina?
I'm sure the ones coming over the border will be nice upstanding citizens just like the Venezuelans.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Formidable, I don’t have statistics, but have just read an article in Spanish where Argentina seem to be high in robberies rates the last years, but still low in crimes (killing people)

http://www.momarandu.com/amanoticias.ph ... 0&c=172377
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Last time I checked, robbery was a crime.
Serious one at that.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Formidable, You are right. Crimes are robberies + murderers + everything else as drugs smuggling, extortionist, etc, . My confusing comes from the fact that in Spanish the word "criminal" is usually consider as "asesino" or murderer in English.

Murders made by Venezuelans are a unique awful case in South-America. They could kill us for an insignificant discussion. Recently, the father of a Peruvian family was killed by Venezuelans because he said to them not making noise in streets of his neighborhood at night

This part of Latin America has usually been safer than the Caribbean countries. This includes Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay, Chile and of course Argentina
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:06 pm

I don't think the situations in Argentina and Venezuela are comparable. Argentina's economy is much more diversified and is a richer country overall. Besides, if they do begin to leave the country , their first stops would be Chile and Uruguay. Also, they have closer ties with Europe.

Sorry to see the way things are going for them, though. It seems incredible to me that they are ready to bring back "Kitchnerism". With all that is going on in Peru recently, I hope folks here can learn a valuable lesson from all this.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Alan, me too. I cannot understand why they voted for a proven rotten party as kirchnerismo

Toledo received a bribery of about 30 millions of dollars and he is in the process of going to jail for that crime

But for Kirchner's family was 120,000 millions of dollars ! ! ! ! ! This is 4,000 times more than Toledo !!!!!!!!!!!

https://elcomercio.pe/mundo/latinoameri ... nos-197968
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am

windsportinperu wrote:Formidable, You are right. . My confusing comes from the fact that in Spanish the word "criminal" is usually consider as "asesino" or murderer in English.

Now what flavor of Spanish is that? Love to see that dictionary reference. lol
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 am

Alan wrote:I don't think the situations in Argentina and Venezuela are comparable. Argentina's economy is much more diversified and is a richer country overall. Besides, if they do begin to leave the country , their first stops would be Chile and Uruguay. Also, they have closer ties with Europe.

Sorry to see the way things are going for them, though. It seems incredible to me that they are ready to bring back "Kitchnerism". With all that is going on in Peru recently, I hope folks here can learn a valuable lesson from all this.

Maybe a pit stop in Chile on the way to Peru...
https://www.economist.com/the-americas/ ... ry-welcome
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/ ... 57469.html
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 am

Jumpin, in spanish the word "criminal" is frequently used as "murderer" as well.

You might search these two Spanish words in google "criminal" + "mato" or "criminal" + "asesino"

Hope this helps to prove that my knowledge of spanish is pristine :D
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 am

Uruguay is a very small country to cope with Argentinians problems. They are affected by what happens in Brazil and Argentina

In Chile are more than 1,000,000 migrants , people are against more migrants, because medical services and others services are collapsing

Europe is not in good situation, as it was 18 years ago during the 2001 Argentina crisis

USA has tougher migration policies now

Probably we will see a portion of Argentinians in Peru, not millions but thousands and thousands ...

Can Peru feed such an increase of population without an increase in the cost of food ? I hope so
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 am

windsportinperu wrote:Jumpin, in spanish the word "criminal" is frequently used as "murderer" as well.

You might search these two Spanish words in google "criminal" + "mato" or "criminal" + "asesino"

Hope this helps to prove that my knowledge of spanish is pristine :D

Just as if you search "criminal" + "ladrona or "criminal" + "robar"
What is your point?
Yes a robber and a thief are criminals just as a killer and a murderer are criminals.
Can you show me a reference where criminal is THE definition for murderer?
You stated "the fact that in Spanish the word "criminal" is usually consider as "asesino" or murderer in English". Can you show a referance to this "fact".
If what you say is a fact then everytime I hear criminal in Spanish I should automatically translate to murderer? Is that your pristine Spanish?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 am

Jumpin, thanks for your sudden interest in learning more about spanish, hope you do not forget the spanish phrase "taza de cafe pasado", this way your life in Peru will be more enjoyable :D
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:54 am

windsportinperu wrote:Jumpin, thanks for your sudden interest in learning more about spanish, hope you do not forget the spanish phrase "taza de cafe pasado", this way your life in Peru will be more enjoyable :D

Wrong thread, windy.
The cafe discussion is here...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31556
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:17 am

Point taken.. Murder rates per 100,000 inhabitants per country :

Venezuela 57.10
Colombia 26.50
Peru 7.20
Argentina 6.50

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countr ... y-country/
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Jumpin, thanks for your sudden interest in learning more about spanish, hope you do not forget the spanish phrase "taza de cafe pasado", this way your life in Peru will be more enjoyable :D

Thanks, just as you hope I forget you did not answer, but I prefer the Miller Time. Coffee, it would seem, makes one uptight, overly excitable and a bit supercilious.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Jumpin, I would be very glad to talk about coffee, but in the respective thread... I do not want to break any rules here..
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Smart move where would that be? Got a link? lol :wink:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register