Lima Peru and the best Airport in LATAM during 2019 !

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lima Peru and the best Airport in LATAM during 2019 !

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:55 pm

According to Skytrak, Lima has the best Airport in Latin America !

The city won to Sao Paulo Brazil, Buenos Aires in Argentina, Santiago in Chile, Mexico City, Bogota Colombia, Quito Ecuador, etc.

https://www.worldairportawards.com/worl ... orts-2019/

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lima Peru and the best Airport in LATAM during 2019 !

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 am

Interesting survey results.

It's a good, functional airport, with nothing really special. I am so glad they have redone the food fair area though. It was an embarrassing mess before with those cheap, aluminum chairs. The renovation of that area made a big difference.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:46 am

While that is good news for Peru, I have a few bones to pick with JC:

1- Cab drivers harassing you and following you around.
2- ID checks at the door? Never seen this anywhere else in the world. Also, security guards make you go out the door and come in from a different door, instead of just walking through the airport, for unfathomable reasons.
3- Is it me or is JC way more expensive than it ought to be? Having a meal there is a small luxury compared to many good airports out there. I've had cheaper and better fare in Japan. 7 bucks for a Cuzqueña?
4- Personal pet peeve of mine, not exclusive to Lima: no water fountains.

That being said, I think it's waaay less stressful than say, LAX. Just small and compact and never too crowded.

I don't mean to poop on JC, but I've been nurturing and grooming these petty grudges for too long to not let them out given the opportunity. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hope they keep improving it.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:00 am

Speaking of the food court, I wish there was a "menu" restaurant and more of that world class Peruvian cuisine. Wonder why there isn't?
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:11 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Speaking of the food court, I wish there was a "menu" restaurant and more of that world class Peruvian cuisine. Wonder why there isn't?

Yeah, getting a belly full of ceviche before a long flight.
Man o man, that would be great!
Large and in charge!
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Yeah Buddy, and through in some ahi. Heaven!!!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 pm

carloso wrote:While that is good news for Peru, I have a few bones to pick with JC:

1- Cab drivers harassing you and following you around.
2- ID checks at the door? Never seen this anywhere else in the world. Also, security guards make you go out the door and come in from a different door, instead of just walking through the airport, for unfathomable reasons.
3- Is it me or is JC way more expensive than it ought to be? Having a meal there is a small luxury compared to many good airports out there. I've had cheaper and better fare in Japan. 7 bucks for a Cuzqueña?
4- Personal pet peeve of mine, not exclusive to Lima: no water fountains.

That being said, I think it's waaay less stressful than say, LAX. Just small and compact and never too crowded.

I don't mean to poop on JC, but I've been nurturing and grooming these petty grudges for too long to not let them out given the opportunity. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hope they keep improving it.

Great points, especially #1. Travel is stressful enough without having to run a gauntlet of cab drivers.

Re: #2, I think the ID check at the door is to keep large groups of family members out of the counter area, which is already pretty crowded. It can be annoying, but I see the sense of it.
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 pm

I am not as familiar with JC as I am with other airports but last time I was there (not long ago...) and the food court had their prices in dollars and not soles and it wasn't bloody cheap! A bottle of Inca Kola and a packet of crisps was nearly 10 dollars!

Now Bogota Airport was far more affordable and more comfy and less crowded - out of the two airports - Bogota was a lot nicer, more comfortable and had more places to go and eat and everything was priced in COP.

NB: Agree with Carloso's point about coming in and out of different doors at the entrance and the ID checks - I am sure there are good reasons behind it though but I have never seen it at any other airport.

NB (2): My favourite airports are Dubai and Beijing - worst are any US international airport but New York and Atlanta are dire and Schipol in Amsterdam (which of course isn't a US airport for some of our more pedantic subscribers on here)... horrid place.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks Alan for your comments.
The food prices are quite high but I would be interested in how much the spaces rent for.
The rent is reflected in the total prices so possibly someone has some info on the rental amounts.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am

billybob72 wrote:
Now Bogota Airport was far more affordable and more comfy and less crowded - out of the two airports - Bogota was a lot nicer, more comfortable and had more places to go and eat and everything was priced in COP.

Yes, there are some odd ball results, but the survey itself seems pretty serious. They explain their methodology and who they are on the web page.

Oh well.. be the results what they may, anyone who had the chance to come here in the 90's or earlier can attest to how much the airport improved. I remember my 2am arrival in 1995. In order to meet your ride, you walked out of the airport, where it was dimly lit, into a cordoned off half circle of people and taxi drivers. Not friendly at all.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 am

Alan, the consensus from everyone is that the food inside the Airport is very expensive.

The good news is that in the future Jorge Chavez Airport will be transformed into an Airport City, a unique idea in LATAM. This will offer more options including all kind of restaurants and this could drop the prices noticeably

it will have direct access by subway metro and will be a Commercial Hub . For that purpose the area will be multiply by 3 from 250 to 935 hectares (the size of Miraflores District)

The investment will be 1,500 millions of dollars. Will be integrated with Callao Sea Port, will have a Free-Zone , Warehouses, Retails, office spaces, real states, related services, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umIvimrXItQ
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Article about the upcoming expansion: https://andina.pe/ingles/noticia-peru-l ... 73829.aspx
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:17 pm

I can't wait until there is subway access to JC airport.
This has been long overdue!
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:47 am

It's good news that the airport if going through a major expansion as it seems there will be more new routes coming in and out of Peru in the future - at this moment in time, we're pretty limited to direct flights from Europe - I think we have a choice of Air France, KLM and Iberia and there are no direct flights from Asia or Oceania.

There was talk of Korean Air connecting South Korea to Peru but it hasn't transpired to a commercial route as of yet though there has been talk of it in the past, same with Air China and a Beijing to Lima route.

https://www.peruviantimes.com/02/korean ... eru/14326/

It would be really nice to have direct flights from Peru from Asia - it is possible at the moment to fly between these two destinations non-stop so it seems but it is down to cost.

https://blueswandaily.com/direct-flight ... e-horizon/

I think we will see direct flights from Lima to Beijing and Seoul in the not too distant future.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:44 am

windsportinperu wrote:Alan, the consensus from everyone is that the food inside the Airport is very expensive.

The good news is that in the future Jorge Chavez Airport will be transformed into an Airport City, a unique idea in LATAM. This will offer more options including all kind of restaurants and this could drop the prices noticeably

That's pretty exciting! I watched the videos and the renders and it looks dope, can't wait. Don't know that I'll be around to check it out but I'm a bit of an airport and train station fanboy. I also think that an airport being the main gate for most visitors, it sets the tone for your entire visit. First impressions and all that. Having a great international airport adds prestige to your city. I really hope they do a good job and sort out the food sitch and the taxi cab sitch. I think it was Rio de Janeiro's airport, for instance, that has a mall attached with an Uber stop with free wifi and chargers, within walking distance super convenient. Food options there are the same price as any other mall.

billybob72 wrote:I am not as familiar with JC as I am with other airports but last time I was there (not long ago...) and the food court had their prices in dollars and not soles and it wasn't bloody cheap! A bottle of Inca Kola and a packet of crisps was nearly 10 dollars!
NB: Agree with Carloso's point about coming in and out of different doors at the entrance and the ID checks - I am sure there are good reasons behind it though but I have never seen it at any other airport.

Yeah, these two are super annoying. Not sold on whether there are good reasons for it. I firmly believe that my people cannot conceive of an entrance to a public place without a guachiman standing by it. I mean, what are you gonna do, just let people go wherever they please in a public venue? Inconceivable! Never waste a good opportunity to make something simple complicated. I'm in favor of security at the airport, of course, but that cursory check at the door accomplishes nothing.
glegrand
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby glegrand » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:53 am

Great news for Peru!

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register