Gun Laws!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gun Laws!

Postby renodante » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 pm

nothing falls apart, like i said earlier, it is disingenuous to only pick and choose one country and ignore any and all evidence that is contrary to your opinion.

Cherry picked facts such as that are no different than out and out fabrications.

what are you talking about?

chi chi (falsely may i add) asserts there's less "mass shootings" in Iraq. In Iraq, pretty much every family has a gun, a machine gun, to be exact. If it were true that there are less mass shootings there, we would have evidence that more guns=more mass shootings is not true.

who is "cherry picking facts?

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 pm

oh, lol, quoting chi chi...more dangerous than living in Iraq, in my opinion.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 pm

americorps wrote:oh, lol, quoting chi chi...more dangerous than living in Iraq, in my opinion.

:lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:51 pm

OK, Renodante. Lets follow your suggestion.
Allow everybody in the US a gun. Americans will kill each other till there's no American left. Then there will be nobody left to care out murders or mass shootings.

The US will be full of guns but no one to shoot or to get shot. :evil:
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Allow everybody in the US a gun. Americans will kill each other till there's no American left. Then there will be nobody left to care out murders or mass shootings.

The majority of the Swiss population is armed. I'm talking assault rifle armed. The number incidences of gun violence is so low you can't even get figures on it. Look it up.

Why is that? Well, there are always multiple reasons for such things, but they're not only armed, they're highly trained in those arms.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:05 pm

renodante wrote:
The number incidences of gun violence is so low

Low is still too high. Every death is still one too much.

It's worth banning all guns just to save 1 life.

In some countries like Ireland, the UK and Japan, the police doesn't carry guns. Why should citizens carry guns?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:14 pm

renodante wrote:

The majority of the Swiss population is armed. I'm talking assault rifle armed. The number incidences of gun violence is so low you can't even get figures on it. Look it up.

Why is that? Well, there are always multiple reasons for such things, but they're not only armed, they're highly trained in those arms.

And yet another perfect example of cherry picking to try and support a point.

Of the top 7 countries for gun ownership, the Swiss is the ONLY one with a low murder rate.

The others are:

USA
Yemen
Serbia
Cyprus
Saudi Arabia
Iraq

The MAJORITY of swiss are not armed, they are about half the guns per person ration of the USA. Usa about 89%, Swiss about 44%

Yes, the swiss are highly trained.. and here is some more facts about their gun ownership.

1. They are required to have the guns as part of their military defense. Only a few bullets are issued and are they are inspected quite frequently to check for unauthorized use.

2.It is very rare to have a carry permit unless on active duty. Usually the guns are locked up at home. Carry permits are almost never granted unless in a high risk or security positon.

3. Sales of ammo is tightly controlled

but, without all that, then yes, you can safely say there is high gun ownership in Switzerland with a low murder rate, however, for open gun advocates, they seem to sort of gloss over that the swiss have some of the tightest gun regulations in the world.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:16 pm

]
renodante wrote:

Of the top 7 countries for gun ownership, the Swiss is the ONLY one with a low murder rate.

The others are:

USA
Yemen
Serbia
Cyprus
Saudi Arabia
Iraq

All these countries have at least 1/3 of their populaton with gun ownership, the rest are below the 1/3 mark.

The MAJORITY of swiss are not armed, they are about half the guns per person ration of the USA. Usa about 89%, Swiss about 44%

Yes, the swiss are highly trained.. and here is some more facts about their gun ownership.

1. They are required to have the guns as part of their military defense. Only a few bullets are issued and are they are inspected quite frequently to check for unauthorized use.

2.It is very rare to have a carry permit unless on active duty. Usually the guns are locked up at home. Carry permits are almost never granted unless in a high risk or security positon.

3. Sales of ammo is tightly controlled

but, without all that, then yes, you can safely say there is high gun ownership in Switzerland with a low murder rate, however, for open gun advocates, they seem to sort of gloss over that the swiss have some of the tightest gun regulations in the world.[/quote]
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 am

What's worrying is that in the US that allmost all of those mass shooting are carried out by very young people?
It's also very easy to influence young people.

The shooting in Colorado has been in the press all over the world. But many of those incidents are kept quiet to avoid copy cats.

I am sure there are at the moment a few youngsters brewing a plan to carry out a mass shooting at a cine or school or shopping centre. And the present gun law helps them carry out their plan.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:26 pm

chill out, take a deep breath, and realize i'm addressing something chi chi said. also realize i picked out switzerland b/c it's the only one on your list where not only is everyone armed, they're also highly trained, which i mentioned as well (which you acknowledged). i'm not cherry picking anything, i'm simply making the mistake of posting a serious response to a chi chi post.

i picked out one country to show that chi chi's rules don't apply across the board and i don't use it to advocate everyone being armed=less gun violence.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Who is this mythical chi chi you blame everying on? :twisted:
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:00 pm

americorps wrote:Who is this mythical chi chi you blame everying on? :twisted:

a bot created by an evil genius, to turn us against each other.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 pm

renodante wrote:i picked out switzerland b/c it's the only one on your list where not only is everyone armed, they're also highly trained.

But Americans can't be trusted with guns and they can't handle guns. This has been proven enough.
On average 30 mass shooting a year.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:09 pm

I would love to hazard a guess as to what we can say about people from Belgium based on your actions or the actions of a few, but that would be racist and unedcuated so I won´t do it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:45 pm

americorps wrote:I would love to hazard a guess as to what we can say about people from Belgium based on your actions or the actions of a few, but that would be racist and unedcuated so I won´t do it.

The person that carried out the mass shooting last year in Belgium was a foreigner and he bought his guns abroad. It's possible to buy a gun in Belgium with a licence but it's very difficult and subject to reviews.
And you cannot shoot burglars with it.
Last year someone shot an armed burglar and got sentenced to 20 years in jail. On top of that he has to pay compensation to the family of the burglar.

I am also wondering what you mean with 'your actions'
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:27 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/m ... IQpRGV801M

Look at the picture in the article.

This one got caught but I am sure there are a few disturbed souls brewing a plan which they will carry out soon and it won't be able to catch them before that.

It's time to ban all guns. It's the only way to avoid such tragedies.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:58 pm

chi chi wrote: I am sure there are a few disturbed souls brewing a plan which they will carry out soon and it won't be able to catch them before that.

It's time to ban all guns. It's the only way to avoid such tragedies.

Unfortunately, what I said last week is right.

Today, the second amendment took action again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... jured.html

It's not only enough that gun possesion gets punished with a least a 25 year long jail term but just attempting to buy a gun should be punished in the same way.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 pm

The second amendment in action...again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/ ... V220120813
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:15 am

chi chi wrote:The second amendment in action...again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/ ... V220120813

I am all in favor of informed debate, but Chi Chi, your comments are almost always extremely irresponsible.

The article you reference says nothing about the gun, who used it or how they obtained it.

It might have been a legally purchased gun, it might have been a stolen gun, it might have been a gun used registered to a police officer, security personnel or the military. We do not know.

I suggest if you wish your opinions to be taken seriously, you use more caution, reason and facts when supporting them instead of assumptions, irresponsible omission of facts and a better understanding of your subject matter.

I am not sure you even fully understand the 2nd amendment you quoted as it is interpreted by the US Supreme Court because even though gun advocates feel gun ownership should be unrestricted, that is NOT how the law of the land is presented by the Supreme court who has fairly consistently allowed restricted gun ownership, allowing limits for felons and the mentally ill and background screenings and trainings and other restrictions when imposed at the community level.

Just a friendly suggestion that your comments should be informed so you might be taken more seriously, should that be your desire.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 am

americorps wrote:, allowing limits for felons and the mentally ill and background screenings and trainings and other restrictions when imposed at the community level.

Any honest and normal person can become mentally ill or a felon after he bought the gun.

Simply, if there were no guns for sale, the usual weekly mass shootings wouldn't have occured.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 am

chi chi wrote:
americorps wrote:, allowing limits for felons and the mentally ill and background screenings and trainings and other restrictions when imposed at the community level.

Any honest and normal person can become mentally ill or a felon after he bought the gun.

Simply, if there were no guns for sale, the usual weekly mass shootings wouldn't have occured.

Chi Chi, I do not fully agree nor fully disagree with your opinion, but that was not my comment. My comment is that your supportive information you generally use is not responsible and often not even true.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:12 pm

americorps wrote:
Chi Chi, I do not fully agree nor fully disagree with your opinion, but that was not my comment. My comment is that your supportive information you generally use is not responsible and often not even true.

So, amerifox, according to you there were no mass shooting and no gunbcrimes were commited???
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 pm

chi chi wrote:
americorps wrote:

So, amerifox, according to you there were no mass shooting and no gunbcrimes were commited???

LOL you are too funny...

but thanks for posting that absurdity because it is just the perfect expression of what I am talking about..you seem to read things without fully comprehending them and then you regurgitate the confused version without analysing what the facts state.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 pm

americorps wrote:but thanks for posting that absurdity because it is just the perfect expression of what I am talking about..you seem to read things without fully comprehending them and then you regurgitate the confused version without analysing what the facts state.

Whatever analyses, surveys, polls you believe in, you can't be disagree with the following:... no guns = no gun crimes
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:45 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... r-answers/

Chicago is more dangerous to live in than Kabul in Afghanistan.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:40 am

chi chi wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57459869-504083/4-dead-30-wounded-in-weekend-chicago-violence-intensifying-search-for-answers/

show me the proof and i might believe you
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:15 am

DFTT!
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 am

roddd wrote:
chi chi wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57459869-504083/4-dead-30-wounded-in-weekend-chicago-violence-intensifying-search-for-answers/

show me the proof and i might believe you

Whatever you are drinking Chichi, I need a double.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Aideon7
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Aideon7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Chi Chi

Yes if there is no guns there will be no gun crimes, but if somebody wants to commit a mass murder, there are a lot of weapons that will do.

If you get a mentally unstable person who wants to kill a bunch of people and he can't get a gun, well then he is going to do something else. He could get a cane sword, if he is competent he could get it into a movie theater without being caught, lock one set of doors, set the damn theater on fire, and kill all sorts of people with his sword. If he only wants to kill 5-10 people he can do that with the sword, without the fire or the locking doors. I mean if you have a confined space classroom etc. You don't need a gun, a hammer, whatever will do just fine.

If the gun crimes just transition to another type of death then we have fixed nothing, obviously the problem is murders, not how they are done. Hell you can make a mass murder if you wanted to by driving an SUV into a crowd, or a parade.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Aideon,

to kill people with a sword or drive a car into a crowd, you need skill and courage. You actually make contact.

Cowards are weak and don't want to make contact because they know they will lose.

A gun is easier. From a distance , with little force, you can pull the trigger.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:46 am

chi chi wrote:Aideon,

to kill people with a sword or drive a car into a crowd, you need skill and courage. You actually make contact.

Cowards are weak and don't want to make contact because they know they will lose.

A gun is easier. From a distance , with little force, you can pull the trigger.

Not true. In Peru we have plenty of public transportation drivers without any skill (they did not even went through high school, cannot read and drive. They paid for their license) that kill more people yearly than
terrorism. They cannot be judged because the government protects them saying that they were poor and
that they did not have any other opportunities.
Aideon7
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Aideon7 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 am

Well, that is a very good point Chi Chi which I had not thought of. I do not agree that you need skill and courage to drive a car into a crowd.

But the sword you are completely right they would need a courage that those people do not have.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Aideon7 wrote:Well, that is a very good point Chi Chi which I had not thought of. I do not agree that you need skill and courage to drive a car into a crowd.

But the sword you are completely right they would need a courage that those people do not have.

Doesn't take much courage to wield a sword or any other weapon for that matter. Action & reaction, just like anything else.
georgestepo

Postby georgestepo » Mon May 19, 2014 8:44 am

does every country has a different gun laws... or its just same?? in my own opinion its different but i need to ask to be sure...
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 20, 2014 7:56 am

falconagain wrote:"God'' help the 15 year old, gay, atheist, black who breaks into your house. Just take his life, it doesn't count. After all, he is gay, black and atheist.

Actually 15 year old, gay, atheist and black fits by coincidence the profile of the most violent
and deadly criminals in Lima. You will get applauded by your neighbors because they are the
most difficult criminals to rid in the city, not even the police wants to keeps them arrested.

LOL.. I am a Black Atheist minus the gay, but I have no criminal background... not even a parking ticket.

Last I noted there are not many black people in Lima. I stand out like a sore thumb in the streets. I guess the burglar may be using face paint to disguise himself as black "The Black Guy did it!" common phrase... lol
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sat May 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register