sacha inchi or inca inchi oil

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: US

sacha inchi or inca inchi oil

Postby sonia » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:18 am

Does anyone have any experience using sacha inchi oil (also known as inca inchi oil)? It is the oil of a plant (scientific name Plukenetia volubilis) that growns in the Peruvian Amazon. It is marketed in the US as a healthy oil because it has a high content of the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. I am wondering if any of you have used it in cooking or for other purposes.

Thanks!


User avatar
anuta
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:14 pm

Re: sacha inchi or inca inchi oil

Postby anuta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 am

sonia wrote:Does anyone have any experience using sacha inchi oil (also known as inca inchi oil)? It is the oil of a plant (scientific name Plukenetia volubilis) that growns in the Peruvian Amazon. It is marketed in the US as a healthy oil because it has a high content of the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. I am wondering if any of you have used it in cooking or for other purposes.

Thanks!


Yes, I used it in salads or just sprinkle on top of rice, beans, etc. I like it, it has a nice fresh taste. I didn´t use it for cooking though, I´m not sure that omega 3 can sustain the heat. I believe that the bottle should be consumed in 1 months after opening, so I´d suggest buying a small one if you don´t plan using it too often or in small quantity. Enjoy :)
sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: US

Postby sonia » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:53 am

Thank you Anuta for the information!
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:45 pm

We have used it in salad dressings mixed with balsamic vinegar. It has a nice, nutty flavor.

I recently picked up a bag of the stuff, ground into powder, at the Surquillo market. I mix that together with hot water, milk, kiwicha, quinua, maca and soya for a morning drink.

Alan
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby markr » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Alan wrote:We have used it in salad dressings mixed with balsamic vinegar. It has a nice, nutty flavor.

I recently picked up a bag of the stuff, ground into powder, at the Surquillo market. I mix that together with hot water, milk, kiwicha, quinua, maca and soya for a morning drink.

Alan


What is the effect Alan, it sounds like one of those Inca aphrodisiacs :lol:
User avatar
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby mammalu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Alan's recipe sounds better than my daily supply of Omega 3 by taking 'emulsionated fish oil.' :cry:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby markr » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:15 pm

markr wrote:
Alan wrote:We have used it in salad dressings mixed with balsamic vinegar. It has a nice, nutty flavor.

I recently picked up a bag of the stuff, ground into powder, at the Surquillo market. I mix that together with hot water, milk, kiwicha, quinua, maca and soya for a morning drink.

Alan


What is the effect Alan, it sounds like one of those Inca aphrodisiacs :lol:


Alan, my approach is in jest but the question is serious, what are the benefits of this concoction, I am very curious.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 am

markr wrote:Alan, my approach is in jest but the question is serious, what are the benefits of this concoction, I am very curious.


I am one of these people that can´t be bothered to have a sit down breakfast, so I like the fact that I can drink this on the fly. Three to 4 heaping tablespoons in 2 large cups of water usually holds me until lunch, and its good to get lots of liquid in early in the day. Other than general energy, the mix has also helped my digestive system a lot.

Everything I have mentioned has reputed health benefits (you know, if you are tense, it calms you down... if you are too relaxed, it perks you up), but at the end of the day, they are just generally nutritious and balanced.

The price is a bargain, btw. Bags of all the stuff mentioned sell for 5 soles (250 grams). Last time I was there, I even found dried ground Camu Camu, but found this to be too bitter, and it cost 12 soles a bag. Still, a huge bargain.

Cheers,
Alan
(drinking the stuff as I type, superman speed)
elturco
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:44 am
Location: Estambul

Postby elturco » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:10 am

I use it as capsules. It helps colon system work smoothly and avoid constipation . And it s effect on heart and aort veines are bonus :))
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby markr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:44 pm

elturco wrote:I use it as capsules. It helps colon system work smoothly and avoid constipation . And it s effect on heart and aort veines are bonus :))


People don't suffer constipation in Peru :lol:
sarsri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 am

Re: sacha inchi or inca inchi oil

Postby sarsri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 am

How can I buy the seed to grow up in my land, please give me suggestions.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

cron

Login  •  Register