Burger King Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!

Do you crave USA fast food?

I go to Burger King, McDonalds
30%
I go to KFC
7%
I go to Pizza Hut/Papa Johns/Dominos
15%
I go to Tony Romas/Chilis/TGIF/Hooters
15%
I go to some other American chain (please reply)
4%
If I wanted USA food, I would live in the USA
30%

Total votes: 27
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Burger King Peru

Postby americorps » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:49 am

Ok, I realize Burger King perhaps is not something to introduce to a thread with the title CULINARY, and I know we all have certain issues about American chains in Peru...but still.

I love a pure meat hamburger, not the Carne Bravo with the Peruvian spices. I grew up on a farm in Kansas and every once in a while I just want an all beef burger and if I don't want to cook it, Burger King is the only hamburger joint I know in Lima that offers pure meat (they call it Carne Tradicional and their other meat is called Carne Bravo).

Well, I just can not order from Burger King anymore.

They have a level of customer service that rivels only Telefonica in Peru.

We all know that when we order, they might forget something, switch a soda flavor or not get things quite right...but this has reached a new level with BK.

I ordered from time to time at my house, and got the usual mixed-up orders but nothing serious. The problems started when I ordered one day at work for lunch. I kept calling and they did not deliver for over 2 hours, then it was cold. They gave it to me for free, but I did not have time to eat it as I had to go off to a meeting. They gave me a cupon so I decided to try them again, this time they delivered my order but would not give it to me because they said I was supposed to have a cupon for what I ordered. I had ordered the same thing at least 12 times in the previous 6 months and never did anyone say anything about a cupon. They did not even offer to give me the food at a higher price, they just refused delivery.

I wrote their website and no reply. I wrote the franchise office in the USA and then I got a reply with an apology, a promise for a free coupon sent to me and I decided I would give them another chance, but only from home, no longer from work.

After 3 weeks, I realized I had not received my free coupon, so I wrote again. They called me back and said that the woman who offered me the coupon no longer worked there and they would put the cupon on my phone number next time I called in.

I called the next day and the coupon was for a free whopper combo..and I do not like their whoppers and it was not the coupon originaly offered to me..but I thought hey...at least they offered it to me and I would not accept it because I don't eat the whopper, but I would just order what I wanted and and pay for it.

I ordered a special they used to offer called the Double Dos. The woman did not seem to understand what I wanted and so I read to her what it included, two double cheeseburgers with bacon, french fries and onion rings, I nice unhealthy but tasty dinner for 2. Again, I stress, I told them, word for word in Spanish exactly what I wanted. They then proceeded to try and offer me my free whopper mean and I told them gracias pero no gracias because I do not like the whopper. I also ordered a shake.

20 minutes later the order arrived. The shake tasted like bleach, and my order consisted of a jr. chicken sandwich and a whopper jr and 2 fries.

They have no idea what they are doing, it is like trying to order from zombies..they sort of know the motions but have no concious idea what they are doing.

I called them back and told them to forget it, I they would loose a customer. They called me back harassing me 4 times over the next 24 hours trying to tell me why I had the fault.

Do yourselves a favor, buy some good ground beef and make your own at home, and do not support incompetence and the lack of respect for customers that BK offers.

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:45 pm

I watched Fast Food Nation, by chance, the other day. It really shed light on the industry - mainly just trying to use strong-arm tactics to purchase the cheapest meat possible, to sell as many burgers as possible, at the highest profit.

The second thing is a pattern fast-food shares with something like discount airlines.

RyanAir and Spirit Air are constantly criticized because they operate a bare-bones discount service. No frills. The problem is that no-frills includes no budget for customer service. When things go right, they go right cheaply. When they go wrong, well, sucks to be you.

This is the dilemma, logical people think that customer service doesn't come as an extra cost - it comes naturally through human decency.

BK, McDonalds, Spirit, Ryan Air employees do not think this way because they are not paid to think this way.

Amazing - having to be paid to think.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:12 pm

You generally get what you pay for.

But sometimes sadly I am willing to pay for a good old nasty Burger King. A couple of times a year, I crave the things. However, I do not go there for intelligent conversation, realizing that at that price of burgers, they will not be hiring too many Ph D.s. They hire kids a minimum wage.

Much of the action and food handling is 'up front' with BK and virtually any restaurant, it is best not to watch the help prepare your food. As long as you do not see someone drop your buns on the floor, you will remain clueless and happy.

So, look out the window until they hand you the bag.

If one's expectations are not unrealistically high, then the liklihood of being disappointed is minimal.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Americacorps. That was great! :D
I dont think I ever got something correct when it was delivered by any of the fast food places...
But. Try going to a fastfood place in Los Angeles........
It is exactly the same minus the delivery. And when you get the wrong order in the drive thru then go inside to complain about they say the order taker doesent speak good english.... I try to explain that I ordered in Spanish...
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:07 am

My girlfriend (Peruvian) loves Burger King. I'm not a huge fan but I enjoy a whopper every now and then. I've probably been to BK about 10 times in 3 years in Lima. I think I've only been to the one near Kennedy park and Larco Mar. I've never had an order messed up and it always tastes pretty good. My only complaint is lack of Heinz ketchup and that they only give you 1 little packet unless you beg for more. For this reason I never order fries.

Anyway, I can't imagine ordering fast food delivery. I scoffed at it on my first trip to Peru and I continue to scoff at it now. Just don't do it. Pizza and Wings are the only foods I'd ever consider for delivery.

Another tip. Tony Roma makes an awesome Onion Burger. It costs about 22 soles and comes with fries. Roma has big bottles of Hunt's ketchup which is acceptable.
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:17 pm

burger king here in lima is nothing like the good ole char-grill burger that it was in the states. it is chalk full of peruvian spices that churns my stomach. where can you even get a burger that does not have the peruvian flare? even the buns are different.

and kevin, so sorry about this ordeal!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:13 pm

mommy,

Thanks for the kinds words.

You might not realize, however, that Burger King does have 2 meats, but you have to know to ask for them.

They generally serve Carne Bravo and that is a hamburger with all the weird spices and fillers. But they also offer Carne Tradicional and that is all beef with only salt and pepper and no fillers. I would not say it is equal to burgers back home, but it is a HECK of a lot closer than anything you can get at Bembos or McDonalds. You have to specify Carne Tradicional when you place your order and then, God willing, if they get it right, you will have a pure beef hamburger without the fillers and spices.

However, chances are they will screw something up.

Still, get some ground beef and just make it at home is what I do now.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:55 pm

The hamburgers also taste funny in Colombia, too.

I've somehow been reprogrammed. I eat American (chain) food in Peru and Peruvian food in the U.S.

Papa John's in Peru tastes like Pizza Hut. It doesn't resemble the Papa John's back in the States at all.

Pizza hut is too greasy (at least they've managed to stay globally uniform) so I've converted to D'nnos Pizza.

KFC is an every now and then for the kids, but I've noticed that our Peruvian family members do not like the cole-slaw. Apparently it's too sweet so my oldest is happy to oblige and finish it off for them.

I would love to see a Popeye's chicken. They have the best biscuits and mashed potatoes and gravy. Not likely to happen, though.

I tried TGI Friday's down here a couple of month's ago for the first time and it wasn't bad at all. It was much emptier than compared to Florida, however.

Burger King in Peru I'm not a big fan of. I prefer their burgers back in the States.

I also feel dizzy after eating McDonald's, so I don't frequent it that much at all down here. If I do indulge in McDonald's then it's a week or so before I travel back to the States.

I've read somewhere that McDonald's imports Canadian tubers and doesn't use Peruvian ones for their french fries. Such a shame, b/c the yellow Peruvian potato makes for such a great fri.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:33 pm

We enjoy KFC and Pizza Hut, and have never had problems with the delivery from either one. (ok, there was the time the KFC dude got hit by a car on his scooter, but they still had the order right)

I wish I'd known to ask for the Carne Tradicional last week. :S I don't eat BK or McDonald's - haven't had anything more than a bottle of water from either in years. But last week, on our traditional Friday night out, the line at Pizza Hut and KFC was SO long, and my littlest was SO hungry, we decided to go with BK. Big mistake. None of us could finish the burgers. The fries were pretty tasty as usual, though. My older son said he never wanted BK again. I agree.

I like going to Chili's when I've got the urge for 'American'. :lol:
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:35 pm

right on kelly! i like chilis as well. they even made my husband some good old southern sweet tea!!!
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Burger King Peru

Postby american_in_lima » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:58 am

Americorps wrote:Ok, I realize Burger King perhaps is not something to introduce to a thread with the title CULINARY, and I know we all have certain issues about American chains in Peru...but still.

I love a pure meat hamburger, not the Carne Bravo with the Peruvian spices. I grew up on a farm in Kansas and every once in a while I just want an all beef burger and if I don't want to cook it, Burger King is the only hamburger joint I know in Lima that offers pure meat (they call it Carne Tradicional and their other meat is called Carne Bravo).

Well, I just can not order from Burger King anymore.

They have a level of customer service that rivels only Telefonica in Peru.

We all know that when we order, they might forget something, switch a soda flavor or not get things quite right...but this has reached a new level with BK.

I ordered from time to time at my house, and got the usual mixed-up orders but nothing serious. The problems started when I ordered one day at work for lunch. I kept calling and they did not deliver for over 2 hours, then it was cold. They gave it to me for free, but I did not have time to eat it as I had to go off to a meeting. They gave me a cupon so I decided to try them again, this time they delivered my order but would not give it to me because they said I was supposed to have a cupon for what I ordered. I had ordered the same thing at least 12 times in the previous 6 months and never did anyone say anything about a cupon. They did not even offer to give me the food at a higher price, they just refused delivery.

I wrote their website and no reply. I wrote the franchise office in the USA and then I got a reply with an apology, a promise for a free coupon sent to me and I decided I would give them another chance, but only from home, no longer from work.

After 3 weeks, I realized I had not received my free coupon, so I wrote again. They called me back and said that the woman who offered me the coupon no longer worked there and they would put the cupon on my phone number next time I called in.

I called the next day and the coupon was for a free whopper combo..and I do not like their whoppers and it was not the coupon originaly offered to me..but I thought hey...at least they offered it to me and I would not accept it because I don't eat the whopper, but I would just order what I wanted and and pay for it.

I ordered a special they used to offer called the Double Dos. The woman did not seem to understand what I wanted and so I read to her what it included, two double cheeseburgers with bacon, french fries and onion rings, I nice unhealthy but tasty dinner for 2. Again, I stress, I told them, word for word in Spanish exactly what I wanted. They then proceeded to try and offer me my free whopper mean and I told them gracias pero no gracias because I do not like the whopper. I also ordered a shake.

20 minutes later the order arrived. The shake tasted like bleach, and my order consisted of a jr. chicken sandwich and a whopper jr and 2 fries.

They have no idea what they are doing, it is like trying to order from zombies..they sort of know the motions but have no concious idea what they are doing.

I called them back and told them to forget it, I they would loose a customer. They called me back harassing me 4 times over the next 24 hours trying to tell me why I had the fault.

Do yourselves a favor, buy some good ground beef and make your own at home, and do not support incompetence and the lack of respect for customers that BK offers.

I don't like Burger King, but I will continue to go there over the other chains here in Peru. Burger King seems to hire Peruvians with special needs. There is a lovely girl who works at the Burger King on Larco/Ov. Miraflores that I believe has down syndrome. Her smile and pure kindness lights up the room. When you talk to her, she'll give you a big hug and kiss. She is one of my favorite Peruvians in all of Lima.
Regards,

George
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:30 am

I want Panera Bread!! (Or Altanta Bread Co... it´s the same) Yum! And I miss it soooo much!
Katie
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:32 pm

I don't like Burger King, but I will continue to go there over the other chains here in Peru. Burger King seems to hire Peruvians with special needs. There is a lovely girl who works at the Burger King on Larco/Ov. Miraflores that I believe has down syndrome. Her smile and pure kindness lights up the room. When you talk to her, she'll give you a big hug and kiss. She is one of my favorite Peruvians in all of Lima.

She also has no tolerance for street vendors who come in and try to sell candies etc. to the patrons of the BK. I went there a couple months ago with my mom and nephew - my nephew is autistic, and it's sometimes a challenge to get him to eat. He lost nearly 10 pounds in the 4 months he was here, hence BK to try to get him to eat SOMETHING. The girl you're talking about was like a pit bull with this group of women who kept coming in and hassling patrons. I liked the way she didn't take any crap from them. :D
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:29 pm

I went for the first time to Papa Johns at Plaza San Miguel.
It was very busy although service was quite quick.
The drawback was that they didn´t sell beer.

The personal pizzas are not even big enough to fill the hole in my tooth and costed 15 soles.

So I ordered the bigger one...40 soles WHOW I can eat for that money a week at home. And that was the cheapest pizza.
OK, I wanted to try it out. They guy offered my a second pizza for only 1 sole extra. OK, I was very hungry so I took it. I stuffed myself like h***. The people at the table next to me must have thought I was DON VITO from VIVA LA BAM ON MTV. I first thought to take the second one home but from experience I know that when you reheat a pizza next day, it tasted like plastic.

The pizza wasn´t bad. But apart from the usual thick layer of cheap processed cheese there wasn´t too much on it.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Papa JOhn's is ok, the service is horrible. For all pizza places, either use coupons or buy on Tues.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm

fast food outside the united states definitely has its downs.....but skimping on the ketchup...seriously??
I hate begging for ketchup.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

The ketchup thing is annoying, but on the upside you can get mayo with your fries. Trying asking for that in a US-based McDonald's and see what happens.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:54 pm

I usually eat at Mc Donalds at Plaza San Miguel. There´s a ketchup dispenser, you can get all the ketchup you want.
I don´t put ketchup on my fries. I prefer that spicy yellow peruvian stuff.

Mc Donalds in Peru looks quite posh and their customers are some higher-class.
In Europe, Mc Donalds has ugly seat, greasy tables and the floor is always full of trash. I saw once a dirty nappy on a table and a used woman´s hygiene towel on top of the drinking straws dispenser and vomit in front of the counter.
And late at night, it´s always full of rif-raf.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:43 am

Yes, fast food like McDonalds and Burger King is posh, but it's a shame the posh people can't throw away their own trash. They leave it on the table for the bus boys.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 am

That's why they have bus boys here, you aren't expected to bus your own table like you are in the US. I'm pretty sure those busboys/girls are happy to have the jobs. When I was new in Peru, a couple times I tried to clear my own table and had a busser run over and take the tray away from me. (At the Plaza Primavera)
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 am

Seems to be that all those fast food places are only in Lima. In Tarapoto, there`s none of them. Not even one chain restaurant. The closest big city is Chiclayo. Anyone has seen any of those fast food places over there? And do they have Ripley and Sagafabella in Chiclayo?
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Such is life in the jungle. We have the nothing as far as fast food or supermarkets here either. To be honest, I don't miss it at all. There have been rumors of Wong coming to Pucallpa, but nothing I can find leads me to believe that.
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 pm

The good things is that I lost about 5 kilos after 2 months in Tarapoto.
In Lima, I could stop myself sneaking into Mc Donalds so now and then. Especially after going to the movies.
Saving money now on food. A menu was about 12 soles, for two 24. Plus the movie the total came to 44 soles. An awfull lot of money for a night out. We felt like we were rich and famous afterwards.

In Tarapoto, the are no cinemas or junk food places. Apart from Bananas who sell bad hamburgers.
There are supermarkets but they are more expensive than in Lima. That`s why I am going to the market.
Coconuts can be bought here for 30 cents.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Same in Pucallpa, no cinema :( People here go to the disco instead.

We have Che Maggy(pizza), the same owners as the one in Cuzco and Iquitos. A few really bad places that say they sell hamburgers. If we want to have a hamburger, I go to the market and buy fresh carne molida, some carbon and cook it myself.

We don't pay anything for Mangoes or Coconuts. We have several trees in our backyard. The coconuts are in season now so we have been eating them for the last month and a half.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:19 pm

euroman wrote:Seems to be that all those fast food places are only in Lima. In Tarapoto, there`s none of them. Not even one chain restaurant. The closest big city is Chiclayo. Anyone has seen any of those fast food places over there? And do they have Ripley and Sagafabella in Chiclayo?

They certainly do. You are only a short 14 hours bus ride to the beautiful Real Plaza in Chiclayo, with Plaza Vea, Cineplanet, Bembo´s, Otto Grill, Pardo´s Chicken and other fantastic pleasures. :D There are also Tottus, Ripley, and a few Metro supermarets. No McDonalds or BK though, perhaps they would lose competition with numerous places that offer hamburguesas, sometimes really charcoal grilled on the spot (not like US Burger King). I prefer Bembo´s myself, or just Norky´s chicken, with a lot of chimichurry and aji huacatay on me papas.

Chiclayo won´t dissapoint a good food conossieur!
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:17 am

Coconuts 30 cents.............. Look what you can do with them http://www.coconutrecipes.co.uk/
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Well, they managed to raise (read lower) their level of professionalism again. I guess it is my fault for giving them another chance.

They sent me this coupon (see below) that talks about their new FURIOSO style burgers and offers 4 FURIOSO coupons. At the top of the ad it reads, Furious Style, Pepper Jack Cheese, Jalapenos, Salsa and Onion Rings. The Feriosos (note the plural)

I called and ordered the Furioso 1 and since BK is "Have it your way" (Como tu quieres) I ordered it without Jalepenos.

I just got a regular chicken sandwich. I called to ask what happened and they told me that the add clearly shows a whopper with the furioso style and that is the only sandwich they offer in that style. On the other side of the publicity it does say NEW, WHOPPER FURIOSO and has a pic of a whopper, but nothing indicating FURIOSO is unique to whopper and I am pretty sure from reading the coupon page, most would come to a similar conclusion as myself.

No I am sorry, no admission that the publicity is unclear, no offer to bring me a new one..anything.

I asked if I was the first person to have this confusion, she told me no, it happens all the time. i asked her to bring me the sandwich COMO YO QUIERO, en the Estilo Fuirioso and she kept repeating that it only with the whopper. I asked for a manager who send out the sandwich right away, but again no apology, no admission of error on their part and no explination as to why, when I asked for the sandwich without Jalapenos, did they not bother to explain it to me that the chicken sandwich does not come with jalapenos.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:58 pm

For full disclosure, the other side of the coupon.

calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Wow, how much time do you spend on this? Just cook your own hamburger the way you want it...am I missing something here? Get some good bistek molido, cook your own bacon, add your own cheese, and there you have it. It's called FAST FOOD, for these folks get paid nothing.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm

hmmm, well, for starters, I do not have a refridgerator or stove or fry pan in my office, but thank you for the suggestion. ??????
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:17 pm

If they charge 4.90 for a whopper, and 11.90 for the same whopper plus fries and regular drink, it means that just ´papas regulares´ plus ´gaseosa regular´, without a whopper, are 7 soles. Which is outrageously expensive. Fried potatoes cost next to nothing in Peru, you always get heaps with anything grilled.

In Chiclayo, you can get a much bigger burger for 5 soles. With double meat, bacon, cheese, egg, and fries included. Delivered for free. Surely there should be some small local places in Lima doing the same. And you can get beer, chicha morada, home made limonada as a drink, not only ´gaseosa´.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 am

I can get a cheap buger here, but it has fillers.

And unfortunately, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King import their potatoes from Canada.

I am not really interested in eating cheap 3 sole hamburgers with weird spices and fillers and I can not fry my own at work. I am from Cattle Country USA and I am used to fresh 100% beef and so the repeated over and over again suggestions of some greasy local peru burger is not something I am interested in.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:43 pm

If you used to 100% fresh beef, why would you order chicken sandwich with Canadian potatoes and complain they put jalapeños in it. Doesn´t make any sense.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

There were 2 of us, we ordered a chicken sandwich and a double stacker. I prefer Peruvian potatoes for fries, but do not mind the Candian.

Anything else I need to do to justify my order to you poeple?

They are a business, they offer a service, they do not proivde it as offered, they failed, not me.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

americorps wrote:There were 2 of us, we ordered a chicken sandwich and a double stacker. I prefer Peruvian potatoes for fries, but do not mind the Candian.

Anything else I need to do to justify my order to you poeple?

They are a business, they offer a service, they do not proivde it as offered, they failed, not me.

Well, your posts sound like you´ve ordered from BK because you can get 100% beef from them (which I doubt, but that´s another issue), despite the bad service. But you still ordered chicken, and the service was still bad, so it still doesn´t make good sense.

And it is not in any way justifiable to charge extraorbitant prices for potatoes, because they are Canadian. What´s the deal? are these some high-class exclusive luxury fried potatoes aimed at rich people? The answer is no. BK is arguably the worst junk food chain in the world, maybe the cheapest one, marketed to poorest people accross the industrially developed nations. 5 soles whopper is only expensive in Peru, because you can get a entire lunch for this money, and sometimes a good one.

Anyway, I actually fully agree with you that BK is crap, had no intention to argue or defend them in any way. Last time I had one was in New York, as an experiment if I could eat large triple whopper combo, out of curiosity. Wasn´t impressed. I´d much prefer ´hamburguesa al carbon´ they sell here in Peru on the streets.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Where is this mythical 'hamburguesa al carbón' creature you can buy in the streets of Chiclayo? Every time I've had a burger here, it's been a little 1 mm thick by 2 cm wide sliver of ground beef mixed with grain. The dominant flavor is grease.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:57 pm

iskndarbey wrote:Where is this mythical 'hamburguesa al carbón' creature you can buy in the streets of Chiclayo? Every time I've had a burger here, it's been a little 1 mm thick by 2 cm wide sliver of ground beef mixed with grain. The dominant flavor is grease.

I´ve only seen them in Piura, but there must be some places in Chiclayo as well. El Boom on San Jose, second block from Plaza de Armas, has good hamburgers. But even better Papa Rellena. This is a good place, always full, good inexpensive menu. I´m not really interested in hamburgers at all, this is a cheap simple dish popular in the USA, but not as much in Europe or South America.

The point is, BK, McDonalds, etc., are cheaper in Peru than they are in Europe. But in relative terms, they are cheap in Europe, but expensive in Peru. I pay respect to their business in Europe: this is the cheapest food one can buy sometimes, and for people who got no money or time, quite often it´s the way to get some meal. People who have a bit of money/time, have a much better meal in a restaurant. But it´s the same difference in Peru too, only Peruvian restaurants very often offer a better deal.

In Peru, US fast food chains offer the same unhealthy mass produced food, all the same as everywhere, but they are relatively expensive. I can get arroz con cabrito for 5 soles, including a drink. I can get a great meal on Mercado Central in Chiclayo for 3 soles, and for 1.50 on the road to Chongoyape, and it would be something they cooked for 3 hours. For the same 12 soles you´d pay for chicken burger from BK plus fries and cola, you can get quite a decent meal in a restaurant with waiters here. And it would have much more meat than a whopper or big mac.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:11 pm

I'd gain a 100lbs in a year if they opened a Wendy's and Taco Bell in Lima. Frosties, square triples and volcanos oh my.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm

There was a Taco Bell in Jockey Plaza for a short time in 1997/98, it failed. I miss my crappy fake Mexican food when I go to Lima.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 pm

The only fast food we eat anymore is Pizza Hut on the occasional Tuesday. But if there was a Taco Bell here? I'm afraid I'd go broke.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm

I remember living in Mexico City when they opened the first Taco Bell there.
It was a novelty with lines blocks long for several months, then empty and did not last long.

I heard they tried it again a few years ago and it is holding on this time with more than 300 locations nationwide.

I too am afraid I love taco bell, I even liked the yo quiero taco bell dog.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Peruvians did not seem to embrace Taco Bell back then. The only people I saw eating there, other than me, were other gringos. My wife hated it at the time... 9 years of living in the US changed that, she ended up liking it quite a bit.

Taco Bell is owned by Yum! foods same as KFC, Pizza Hut, Long John Silver's and A&W. They have international franchise opportunities, lol.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 am

americorps wrote:hmmm, well, for starters, I do not have a refridgerator or stove or fry pan in my office, but thank you for the suggestion. ??????

C´mon Americorps. Stick that cooler and electric frying pan, right there between the telephone and the computer screen! Nobody will mind the smell of frying onions. Really!! In fact.. you might just open an entire new and lucrative side business.

Alan
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Hey a question for anyone who knows -

Why do so many of the donuts at Dunkin Donuts in Lima seem to be filled with goo? I mean, here in NY we have your typical jelly and boston kreme etc, but there almost all of them have something like that or manjar blanco in them. It makes me wanna hurl.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 pm

susita83 wrote:Hey a question for anyone who knows -

Why do so many of the donuts at Dunkin Donuts in Lima seem to be filled with goo? I mean, here in NY we have your typical jelly and boston kreme etc, but there almost all of them have something like that or manjar blanco in them. It makes me wanna hurl.

I have wondered that too... It was the same when I was living in the Philippines, I could rarely find dunkin donuts without filling. Never tried them in Malaysia when I lived there, but I am guessing it was the same.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 pm

scott wrote:I have wondered that too... It was the same when I was living in the Philippines, I could rarely find dunkin donuts without filling. Never tried them in Malaysia when I lived there, but I am guessing it was the same.

Yuck!

Between the dunkin donuts and the frappuccino I bought in Miraflores on my first trip to Lima I spent more than s/. 25. I think the frappuccino was like s/. 18

My Peruvian husband thought I was nuts. Now he's a New Yorker and an ice coffee addict as well so he can't say anything on the next trip :lol: He's just as bad.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

susita83 wrote:
scott wrote:I have wondered that too... It was the same when I was living in the Philippines, I could rarely find dunkin donuts without filling. Never tried them in Malaysia when I lived there, but I am guessing it was the same.

You can definitely get the regular jelly donuts with strawberry jelly at Dunkin Donuts in Lima. Just ask or look for them in the case. For me, they are perfect. Very fresh, and the jelly doesn't overflow when you bite into them. In fact, I would love one right now.......
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

susita83 wrote:Hey a question for anyone who knows -

Just differences in food culture. Dessert foods in Latin America are typically much sweeter and stickier than in English-speaking countries. The Middle East is even worse, while East Asians have an aversion to overly sweet foods.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 am

I always liked Krispy Kreme. However, even I was disgusted when Krispy Kream offered their special breakfast sandwich options...anyone remember those?

They were the regular fare...sausage or bacon, egg, cheese....or a specialty with sausage gravy and hash browns, but served between 2 Krispy Kreme donuts instead of bread.

I wonder if Krispy Kreme would go over in LIma?
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 am

americorps wrote:
I wonder if Krispy Kreme would go over in LIma?

Good question, I think it would do ok. I would love to see Tim Horton's, that would be awesome.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register