New York drivers named most aggressive, angry in U.S.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

New York drivers named most aggressive, angry in U.S.

Postby Claudia1973 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:06 pm

"Miami topped the annual poll for the last four years but voters in 25 major metropolitan areas gave New Yorkers the prize for angriest, most aggressive drivers who tailgate, speed, honk their horns, overreact and lose their tempers."

"New Yorkers were most likely to wave their fists or arms. They were most likely to lay on the horn and they were most likely to make some sort of obscene gesture."

"Nearly 50 percent of the 2,518 people who took part in the AutoVantage Road Rage Survey also said other drivers frequently cut across the road without notice."

"Seven percent were so angry they called the police and one percent admitted they had slammed into the car in front of them.

"In Washington, D.C., four percent of drivers admitted to slamming into another driver," said Bush. "They stand out in that one particular category."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090616/lf_ ... g_roadrage

naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:46 pm

:shock: I wonder what they would think if they came to Lima!
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:40 am

I can drive in NYC...but not interested in driving in Lima (even though I used to 30 years ago, in my little VW 'escarabajo.'). GRR GRR, I guess that makes me an agressive driver (actually NJ drivers do not have a great reputation too). :)
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
anuta

Re: New York drivers named most aggressive, angry in U.S.

Postby anuta » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:56 pm

Claudia1973 wrote:"Miami topped the annual poll for the last four years but voters in 25 major metropolitan areas gave New Yorkers the prize for angriest, most aggressive drivers who tailgate, speed, honk their horns, overreact and lose their tempers."

"New Yorkers were most likely to wave their fists or arms. They were most likely to lay on the horn and they were most likely to make some sort of obscene gesture."

"Nearly 50 percent of the 2,518 people who took part in the AutoVantage Road Rage Survey also said other drivers frequently cut across the road without notice."

"Seven percent were so angry they called the police and one percent admitted they had slammed into the car in front of them.

"In Washington, D.C., four percent of drivers admitted to slamming into another driver," said Bush. "They stand out in that one particular category."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090616/lf_ ... g_roadrage

That must be because of the child support they are made to pay ! :lol:

Mammalu, nice to see you back :D
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:08 pm

When I went to NYC last year I told my husband, "I don't see all the big fuss about traffic. There's a lot of cars, but that's it."

The honking, tailgating, losing tempers sounds like Kentuckians to me. Floridians aren't the nicest of drivers, but at least they won't tailgate the heck out of you.

If there's one thing I miss about Lima it has to be the colorful language that the choferes use with each other when they cut each other off or take off a side view mirror.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Coming from the NY area, no wonder why I have no problems driving here in Lima. I have always found that New York was more "difficult" to drive in, but Lima more "dangerous".

In the end, I bought a car because I was so tired of sitting in the back of a taxi and cringing for my life. I could do that myself in my own car, I used to think. To be honest, having a car in Lima is the best purchase besides my home, that I have made in Lima. Summers going to the beach is easier than paying 50- 100 soles for the trip when you go by car.

I didn't really get to know Lima well until I bought my car.

I am sure some will say that I am a little crazy for my opinion, but until you have done it, the benefits are worth the hastles of a crazy driver that you can find in any major city in the world with 10 million people.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register