Hierbabuena

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
fenduvial
Silver Member
Silver Member

Hierbabuena

Postby fenduvial » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:12 pm

I just wanted to give some support to my favorite restaurant in Lima, Hierbabuena, that seems to be having some trouble filling up the seats. Hierbabuena is an organic food restaurant in Miraflores (Calle San Martin 533, 2558552) with a menu that features an eclectic range of foods and drinks, a quiet atmosphere and patio (despite its location in central Miraflores), and a friendly wait staff. The menu includes many vegetarian options as well as fish and chicken-- my personal favorites include the polenta dish, the stuffed mushrooms, the portobello sandwich, and the mulled wine. I go there a couple times a week and I have never tasted a dish there that was not exquisite. The food is of good value considering that it is organic and has exceptional flavor. I highly recommend Hierbabuena to everyone.

naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:23 pm

What's the price range?
fenduvial
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby fenduvial » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:21 am

The main dishes are between S./20-30. The appetizers (which are portions large enough for me to eat as a main course) are S./10-20. The restaurant is more pricey than chifa or fried chicken and french fries, but the quality certainly is worth the extra few soles.
Last edited by fenduvial on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:08 pm

30 soles is kind of pricey per plate...i mean, there are 5 of us, plus our nanny, so 30X6 is 180 soles, and i can purchse an entire 6 days worth of organic foods and have it prepard here in the house for about s./150.

when we go out, we usually set a cap on s/15 per head. that way it dosent get too expensive. usually w all eat for less than s/95, and that makes me happy!

i guess if i were going out with just my husband, thn that would def. be ok....but to eat several times a week, for our family, thats not feasible...not that i cant afford it, just that why waste money like that on a meal? id rather buy the kids a toy.
fenduvial
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby fenduvial » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 pm

As I mentioned earlier, the restaurant is more pricey that many other options in Lima, but in my opinion the quality of the food and atmosphere are worth the extra cost. Sorry if you were confused by my post-- I was definitely not recommending Hierbabuena as a dinner option every night for a family of five plus a nanny. But if you ever want to have a special night out with some good company and delicious food, you might give it a try. Personally, I would never consider that a waste of money.
anuta

Re: Hierbabuena

Postby anuta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 pm

fenduvial wrote:I just wanted to give some support to my favorite restaurant in Lima, Hierbabuena, that seems to be having some trouble filling up the seats. Hierbabuena is an organic food restaurant in Miraflores (Calle San Martin 533, 2558552) with a menu that features an eclectic range of foods and drinks, a quiet atmosphere and patio (despite its location in central Miraflores), and a friendly wait staff. The menu includes many vegetarian options as well as fish and chicken-- my personal favorites include the polenta dish, the stuffed mushrooms, the portobello sandwich, and the mulled wine. I go there a couple times a week and I have never tasted a dish there that was not exquisite. The food is of good value considering that it is organic and has exceptional flavor. I highly recommend Hierbabuena to everyone.

Thanks for recommending it, fenduvial. We just came back from Hierbabuena and really enjoy it. Nice patio in the back, fast service (but maybe because we were the only customers), but most importantly amazing food. I like the selection of juices and herbal drinks (I took calendula with mint). Loved the hierbabuena sour (the´re also working on the chicha morada sour).

It is a great place to try something different, I´ll be back to try more dishes.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 am

Fenduvial, I agree.... organic food as any good stuff tends to be a little bit pricey, but worth it. Going out for a good meal is always a treat!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
fenduvial
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby fenduvial » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Anuta, I'm glad you liked it! What dishes did you try?
SxStanley

Postby SxStanley » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:18 am

I use to walk by the restaurant all the time and it intrigued me but there was usually never any patrons so I never ate there. Well definitely try it now that you have recommended it.
anuta

Postby anuta » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:42 pm

fenduvial wrote:Anuta, I'm glad you liked it! What dishes did you try?

We weren't very hungry, we just went because of your recommendation. We took two appetizers: causa nativa and chicken with crunchy quinoa in mango sauce, mmmmm (I bought the red quinoa just for that last weekend) and as a main dish, the homemade pasta with portobello mushrooms. Even my picky toddler liked everything :lol:

I have to admit that I liked that the terrasse was empty. :lol:
findleyperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

ACAP RESTAURANT NIGHT AT HIERBABUENA

Postby findleyperu » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:53 pm

All,
There's a great opportunity for you to try Hierbabuena! On Thursday Sept. 24th, ACAP is having a restaurant night at Hierbabuena. The menu includes a choice of appetizers, two main courses (two mushroom Risotto or Thai fish) and a choice of desserts. As always, bring your own wine. Dinner starts at 8 pm and you can register by calling ACAP at 222-6359 Mon.-Fri. 9 am to 1 pm or send an email to [email protected]

You will have a great time!
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:02 pm

If you're interested in vegetarian organic food then AlmaZen Cafe in Miraflores is worth a try. The menu changes based on what's fresh and seasonal, but there are always at least a couple of salads to choose from.

There's a review with photos on Living in Peru: http://www.livinginperu.com/gastronomy/features-1294
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:07 am

I live on block 8 of Ca. San Martin. I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks!
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 pm

jude wrote:If you're interested in vegetarian organic food then AlmaZen Cafe in Miraflores is worth a try. The menu changes based on what's fresh and seasonal, but there are always at least a couple of salads to choose from.

There's a review with photos on Living in Peru: http://www.livinginperu.com/gastronomy/features-1294

That review was written by a good friend of mine. So when Hierbabuena was closed last night I didn't hesitate to walk the extra 8 or more blocks to Alma Zen. What a great place! The atmosphere is perfect for a quiet meal, no load music and no smokers. I had the menestron soup and it was out of this world. I'd pay good money for that recipe. They told me they always have at least 1 soup but I'll be real disappointed if they don't have the menestron on my next visit. The owners are very nice and come from a long family of famous Peruvian painters. I highly recommend this restaurant if you're looking for a good, healthy meal that leaves you feeling content and energized.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Glad you liked it, I've always had a good time there. Also agree the owners are lovely people.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register