Civil unrest near Mancora?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Civil unrest near Mancora?

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:31 pm

I just got word from a friend that their mother was vacationing near Mancora. Today, en route to the airport, a large group of angry protestors blocked the roads and forced passengers from cars and buses with guns and knives.

Travelers had to walk 2 kilometers with bags to alternate transportation, were not able to reach the airport, and had to take buses back to Lima. Reports were travelers were threatened and feared for their lives.

Anyone hear what is the reason for this?

Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Civil unrest near Mancora?

Postby tupacperu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Did see an article on a protest on the highway. (Panamerican North).

There was not much more detail.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Here is the article:

Correoperu.com.pe

http://www.correoperu.com.pe/correo/not ... _id=221590
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 pm

The story basically tells nothing. Wow - interesting how the real story never makes the news.

thanks for the article.

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:33 pm

I think these stories happen more often in the provincias than we realize.

a year and a half ago when I was in Puno, they burned down the airport and we had to bus to Areaquipa to fly back. My boss was in Cajamarca and the taxi had to go about 50 miles out of his way to get to the mines via backroad because of protests. The trains in cuzco have been halted more than 8 different times this year.

The protests in this country, and I will say this bluntly, are ignorant.

They are angry and want change, fair enough, but they harm people, and usually not the people that can effect change. QUite often they are funded by Humala who has on several occassions been caught bringing in bussloads of paid protesters (read agitators) to enhance the protest experience.

A couple years ago the teachers protesting for better wages and working conditions stoned a young girl to death for going to class anyway.

And these same people cry foul when the government starts cracking down on them...I have no sympathy.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:38 pm

americorps wrote:QUite often they are funded by Humala who has on several occassions been caught bringing in bussloads of paid protesters (read agitators) to enhance the protest experience.

It's quite common for other political parties to bus in paid protesters/supporters. Alan Garcia and APRA do it all the time, most recently against Pizango when he was hauled up in the Nicaraguan embassy.
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:13 am

eek! i was just there last weekend! thats a bit nerve-racking!
Katie
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:55 am

I think the mentality of the government is, "nobody was hurt, so let's be quiet and pretend it did not happen. If we make a big deal of it, it will hurt business and tourism by scaring people who watch the news."

Well, yesterday a few hundred travelers were looking for clean underwear after having the doody scared out of them from something that "never happened."

jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:56 pm

It's the same anywhere that relies heavily on tourism. Worrying stories are suppressed because nobody wants to damage the local economy. Well that, and the average journalist is completely lazy, he'd much rather have a good meal and write up some gossip rather than actually do any real reporting.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register