Different types of flour HELP

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Different types of flour HELP

Postby rgbjr » Tue May 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi
I would like to bake some Cakes, Bread and Pastries. In Spanish what type of flour is cake, bread and pastries.
I find Sin Prepared and Prepared but nothing else. I use sin prepared for pizza and it works great.
Please Help
Thanks
Bobby :D

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Different types of flour HELP

Postby americorps » Wed May 12, 2010 8:56 am

I found the following generic Spanish flour translations, but I can not promise that Peru does not offer any variations, but this should get you started at least.

If any of you have corrections, please let me know.

barley flour------harina de cebada

bread flour (flour with high gluten content)------harina de pan
-------------------------------------------------------------------harina para pan
-------------------------------------------------------------------harina para hacer pan

cake flour------harina de repostería

cornflour------Harina de maíz
-------------------almidón de maíz

cornstarch------maicena

Cornmeal------Masa de maíz

oat flour------harina de avena

pastry flour------harina de repostería

plain flour------harina

rice flour------harina de arroz

self-raising flour------harina con levadura

soy flour------harina de soya

whole wheat flour------harina integral (de trigo)
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Does anyone know a place in Lima that sells different types of flour went to Wong, Plaza Vea and all the supermarket chains and they only sell prepared and sin prepared.

Now I now what to ask for when I go to the stores.

Once again
THANK YOU
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Here in Pucallpa a lot of bakeries sell different types of flour and sugar as they use them in everything they make. When I get the urge to bake something, that is what I do. Perhaps it is the same in Lima?
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

One correction to Americorp's list - almidon de maiz is corn starch, not corn flour. Almidon is starch.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Maybe I have been out of touch of LIma's flours for a while.

Isn't 'maicena' the brand? and it is really corn starch?

Harina sin preparar was the one without any baking powder or 'levadura'?
Harina preparada was for baking or 'reposteria'?

I believed we could use the 'harina sin preparar' add our Royal (lol) levadura en polvo and make our own 'harina preparada.' Please correct me if I am wrong. :D
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed May 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Mammalu, I thought the same thing so I double checked it ans sure enough....

From Marion Webster online...

Main Entry: maicena
Function: feminine noun
Language: Spanish

: cornstarch
Ozgurl

Postby Ozgurl » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 am

Does anyone know what Peruvians call the special maize flour used to make corn tortillas and tameles? In the States it's called masa harina. I know they must have it here in Arequipa because people sell tamales on the street. I would like to try to buy some at the mercado and need to be prepared :)
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 am

Ozgurl wrote:Does anyone know what Peruvians call the special maize flour used to make corn tortillas and tameles? In the States it's called masa harina. I know they must have it here in Arequipa because people sell tamales on the street. I would like to try to buy some at the mercado and need to be prepared :)

I know this is not the flour, but I asked several people and got the same answer.

Most use Polenta and just to confirm, when I was wanting to make some corn bread, I asked the woman who sold tamales on my street early in the mornings and she took me to her home and had a big bag of polenta and a rock and actually ground it into corn meal.

You go to a market or a store and try to find cornmeal and it is nearly impossible.

However, some of the community markets do sell a finely ground polenta that can be used without having to further crush it.

I do not understand why corn meal is so difficult to come across in a country that specializes in Tamales and hopefully someone will come along in a moment or two and tell me I am whacked and show me some easy simple way to get cornmeal.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:43 am

Hi I am not sure how to spell it. I found corn meal in the markets it is called cha-cho-ca (I spelled like it sounds in English). They sell it in the market in Comas. My sister-in-law gets it for me. I use it to make corm cake and bread also use it to bake with. If you are interested I will get the exact spelling from my wife.
Jeffster25

Postby Jeffster25 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:42 pm

This flour thing has got me confused. To make corn tortillas we use harina masa. It's what Mexicans call it I'm guessing and this is what it's called in the shops in Texas. I haven't seen it here. Anyone know what the name for this is here in Lima?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 pm

I know this does not make a lot of sense, but they do NOT generally carry Harina de Masa de Maiz here.

It makes no sense to me because this is a country that has tamales.

Most people buy polenta and then grind it more.

There are a few farmers market that carry the masa, but generally I have gotten usted to using polenta and popping it in a food processor.
Ozgurl

Postby Ozgurl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:17 am

Its definately a mysterious bummer. I wanted to try making corn tortillas by hand (sounds crazy but Ive done it before) or making tamale pie. But I will just have to let those dreams go, unless I just luckily happen accross the right stuff. I have a blender stick that is unlikely to be up to the task of refining polenta :(
Jeffster25

Postby Jeffster25 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:18 am

Perhaps we can ask that couple you came across through the Mex embassy who sales and delivers tortillas where that get their harina masa?
Nomada

Postby Nomada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:27 am

Have you tried Madre Natura for whole wheat flour as well as other types of flour? Also, the mercado organico that they have on Saturday mornings on Benavides might purvey some of those.

I am not a fan of Madre Natura in Miraflores at all because they are not the most helpful or friendly store, however, it was the only place that I could get real yogurt when I was living in Lima. Check it out.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:42 am

You can buy loose flour from the local Panaderia but It is the normal Preparado or sin Preparado,

Madre Natura (a health-food store). They
have two locations:
- Chiclayo 815, Miraflores (445-2522)
- Av. la Encalada 300, Surco (344-4416)

The bio feria on Saturday mornings at Parque Reducto.

You can buy whole wheat flour by the kilo in Lince on Calle Ignacio Merino 2301. This street is parallel to Petit Thouars. The store is on a corner and there are several shops next to it and across the street that sell dried fruits, nuts, baking supplies, at much better prices than Wong, and I get my whole wheat and bread flour there. It costs S/.2 kg. and it is working fine. It is sitting there in sacks with the labels of the big mills and it is fresh. I have had good luck with my bread to date.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register