Cebala

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cebala

Postby craig » Sat May 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Today my menu came with a brownish refresco I never encountered before. It had a rather unique, nutty carob-like taste. I asked and the woman told me that it was cebala (I think) and that it was a large grain. I found a bag labeled cebala in the local market. But I can't find the name by searching on the internet so I suspect I got it wrong somehow. Can anyone enlighten me about this drink or the grain?

Craig

--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cebala

Postby iskndarbey » Sat May 15, 2010 6:17 pm

It's cebada, it's made out of barley. Tastes kind of like Tootsie Roll juice. Up north they'll give it to you at every meal, instead of chicha morada.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

CebaDa

Postby craig » Sat May 15, 2010 7:45 pm

That's it. Thanks.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
Kelly

Re: Cebala

Postby Kelly » Mon May 17, 2010 6:46 am

There's a powder in the stores, near the coffees called .. Ecco? Ekko? Ecko? Something like that - Made of toasted cebada, that tastes pretty much like coffee. I mix it with hot milk for the kids on cold mornings.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register