Getting US Bachelor's degree recognized by the SUNEDU - bachiller or titulo?

This is the place where administrators will move the most commonly asked questions.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

leavemyvoiceonthesea

Getting US Bachelor's degree recognized by the SUNEDU - bachiller or titulo?

Postby leavemyvoiceonthesea » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi everyone

So I'm currently in the long, somewhat arduous process of getting my U.S. bachelor's degree legally recognized in Peru by the SUNEDU. The process is a recognition (they legally accept my degree from the US as valid here and register it in their database). It's a less arduous process than a revalidation from a Peruvian university but I'm hoping it will help my CV stand out to companies I'm applying to and will let me in the door to take some master's level classes more easily here in Peru. I've had to order a duplicate copy of my diploma from the US, get it notarized and have a Hague Apostille attached. After much commotion from FedEx and some tears shed, my documents arrived here in Lima. I had them officially translated from English to Spanish by a sworn public translator as the SUNEDU requires. However, I have some doubts as to the exact equivalency of the diploma.

In the translation, the translator listed my degree as a Título Profesional de Licenciada en Humanidades: Antropología in Spanish - whereas the original only states: Degree of Bachelor of Arts: Anthropology. I had previously understood than in order to obtain your "título" or professional title here in Perú, you had to go beyond just the "bachiller" or bachelor's and sustain a thesis in addition to the regular coursework. As I also understand from the SUNEDU website, the SUNEDU recognition does not require an evaluation of the number of credits, and with regards to research states that "Para el reconocimiento deberás presentar el Trabajo de investigación o la Tesis que te sirvió de sustento para optar por el Grado Académico o Título Profesional, si fue requerido en la universidad donde estudiaste." For the recognition, you should present the research assignment or sustained thesis in order to vie for the Academic Degree or Professional Title, if this was required by the university where you studied. I understood this to mean that if your university didn't require a thesis, you could still opt for the recognition of the degree as equivalent to a Professional Title, as the translator also indicated in the translation. From what I understand of Peruvian degrees, the Professional Title is much more valuable than just a "bachiller" and most people aren't considered to have truly finished their degree until they do their thesis and obtain the Professional Title. For me, I believe that having my diploma equal a professional title would be much more beneficial to my future career.

Has anyone else gone through this process of degree recognition? What was required? How long did it take? So far, I've submitted the documents to their web portal for orientation regarding the process, and was planning on going to fill out the forms and make the payments on Monday, barring any observations to my submissions.

TL;DR: I'm working on getting my BA degree from the US recognized in Peru, not sure if it's the same as a Peruvian Professional Title. Has anyone gone through this process before or have any advice?

Morrism123

Re: Getting US Bachelor's degree recognized by the SUNEDU - bachiller or titulo?

Postby Morrism123 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am

Hi, did you have anybody luck or more information? I am also curious about the process, as I have my bachelor degree in Economics, and presented a thesis, but in the states we do not have the “title” for economics degrees as there is here in Peru.
leavemyvoiceonthesea

Re: Getting US Bachelor's degree recognized by the SUNEDU - bachiller or titulo?

Postby leavemyvoiceonthesea » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am

Sorry it's been forever since my question was posted, but I thought I'd update everyone on the results.

I presented all the paperwork to the SUNEDU at the end of March, and my recognition was granted in the middle of May. My US bachelor's degree in Anthropology did end up being recognized as a "titulo" by convention here in Peru despite the lack of a thesis.
Airedependiente

Postby Airedependiente » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:22 am

leavemyvoiceonthesea wrote:Sorry it's been forever since my question was posted, but I thought I'd update everyone on the results.

I presented all the paperwork to the SUNEDU at the end of March, and my recognition was granted in the middle of May. My US bachelor's degree in Anthropology did end up being recognized as a "titulo" by convention here in Peru despite the lack of a thesis.

Oh! hello there... maybe i can help a little; i hope so, at least :)

"Título" here is a generality, most of the time but probably the exact reach of it ( in your case) might be "Bachiller" or "Egresado" ; titles that basically say "Ey, this dude/girl ended the career"...
After that you can get a "Título", that basically is the most practical one and let you get a work as "Licenciado" or so... good enough for people that only want to work... for academics and higher ranks you might want to get a "Doctorado" instead and then evolve it to a "Maestria" ... the highest here.

Hope it helps! :) !

Now Loading...

Crazy ideas: Sooo welcome.
Sponge123

Postby Sponge123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:04 pm

am having a very difficult time understanding the exact procedures that SUNEDU needs to register a degree.

1) I have my transcript and diploma (in English) going through the notary proccess and receiving the apostille from the state where the transcript and diploma were issued.

2) I know that I need a translation. Was your translation done by an official translator in Peru, or were you able to do this through your country? I don't know if SUNEDU accepts translations done outside Peru or not, and can't seem to find the information.

3) For the translation, did you need another apostille on the translation? Or was it sufficient to submit the translation with the original document with the apostille in English?

4) It sounds like you submitted these documents by mail? I am not in Peru, and am trying to do this online. Do you know anything about if the transcript with the apostille can be submitted online?

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”

Login  •  Register