What happens if you overstay your visa

If you have read an article on Expat Peru and have something to add that would help others, this is the place! We appreciate your help.
ExpatPeruMods
Gold Member
Gold Member

What happens if you overstay your visa

Postby ExpatPeruMods » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Have you overstayed your visa? Make sure to check out our article Overstaying Peruvian Tourist Visa

woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What happens if you overstay your visa

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 am

There was talk the fine would be $5.00; the current fine of $1.25 is manageable.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:19 pm

woodchuck wrote:There was talk the fine would be $5.00; the current fine of $1.25 is manageable.

But wouldn't an increased fine act as a deterrent?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:08 pm

Formidable 1 wrote:
woodchuck wrote:There was talk the fine would be $5.00; the current fine of $1.25 is manageable.

But wouldn't an increased fine act as a deterrent?

It's a great point you are making. As the fine stands now, it's not much of a deterrent at all. Now if it were 5, 10 or 20 dollars a day, people would feel the pinch... but maybe to the point that they would look for alternative ways out of the country.

Has anyone had experience overstaying, paying the fine, and returning? I wonder if the migrations officials refuse entry in these cases, or permit fewer days of entry.
gbrunet54

Postby gbrunet54 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 am

Why do agents give only 90 days when the law allows 183 days?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:58 pm

gbrunet54 wrote:Why do agents give only 90 days when the law allows 183 days?

Excellent question! I am just speculating here, but maybe the assumption is that most people stay for less than 90 days, but the visitor MIGHT leave Peru and wish to return to Peru much later in the year, thus, if they give them the full 183 days in one shot, the tourist would not be able to enter again.

But on the other hand, they can give you 90 days, and if you need to extend, you can do so online without leaving the country.

It actually makes sense if you stop and think about it.

Conversely, if you can make a reasoned, intelligible argument as to why you need the full 183 days in one shot, they ought to understand.
gbrunet54

Postby gbrunet54 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Thank you for your reply
In my case as I was leaving Peru I was told by the immigration agent that they only give 90 days when I responded that the law stipulates up to 183 days she then ask me when And where did I see this law.it was like she did not know the law
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 pm

gbrunet54 wrote:Thank you for your reply
In my case as I was leaving Peru I was told by the immigration agent that they only give 90 days when I responded that the law stipulates up to 183 days she then ask me when And where did I see this law.it was like she did not know the law

That's discouraging! It seems like pretty basic knowledge for somebody in migrations. Hopefully the agents that deal with the incoming foreigners a better informed.

Return to “Our Articles : Your Suggestions / Updates (WIKI)”

Login  •  Register