What do you drink? And where do you drink?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

What do you drink? And where do you drink?

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:46 pm

I mostly drink tragos Selvaticas. My favourite one is 7Raices. Strong but tastes sweet. And even if you drink a lot of it, you won't have a hangover the next day.

My favourite place is La Alternative.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/peru/northe ... lternativa

I have cut down on the beer. Too expensive and as we all know Peruvian beer isn't the best.

Supermarkets sell good wine but as most wine is imported, it's expensive.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What do you drink? And where do you drink?

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Good whiskey and any place that serves it, but washing it down with a big steak at Rincon Gaucho or El Hornero a few times a week is hard to beat!
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Some Peruvian drinks I like:

-Chicha morada
-Pisco sour
-Cuzqueña negra (beer)
-Limonada

And of course.. Inka Cola jeje..
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 pm

In the US: on my patio I enjoy Macallan 12 year old single malt scotch with a Nicaraguan Padron cigar.
In Lima: at Los Inkas on pizza st, a free pisco sour followed by crappy Peruvian beer (it's all crappy), poker with friends, people watching and having a great time. I miss it. See ya in a few weeks, Pizza St.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Whataya got? Don't really drink like I did in my 20's but I am a fan of single malt scotch, a nice Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec or especially Pinot Noir, and I kind of got hooked on Nica Librés when I was hanging out in Nicaragua. It's basically a rum (I like Flor de Caña) and coke but use soda water/aqua con gas with just a splash of coke for a bit of flavor. I use two limes instead of one. Not as sweet as a Cuba Libré which allows the flavor of the rum to shine.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

A friend of mine and I invented a drink with Pisco, Coke and grenadine. We call it the Pisco Gran Coca...I guess we were bored.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 am

Where do you start with that one? These days it's a surtido in San Antonio. I went through a phase of making Jamaican mules last year - not widely different to a Chilcano - but the hangovers made me want to weep. Is it something to do with age?
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 am

crazytacoperu.com wrote:A friend of mine and I invented a drink with Pisco, Coke and grenadine. We call it the Pisco Gran Coca...I guess we were bored.

Great name. How did it taste?

Also bored (and with no other mix in site).. we tried Pisco and apple juice, with a shot of soda water. Not too shabby.. and the the apple juice gives you the convenient illusion that you are doing something good for your body.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Anyone who thinks peruvian beer is crappy is simply crazy :twisted:

Anyway, I like beer on tap (only one glass), sometimes usually peruvian (if I can get it), japanese, or german beer. Cuzquena negra is the best, once you drink that , you can never go back to Guiness...

Other than that, I enjoy Pisco but since it is not available here, I usually drink Rum. I quit drinking Tequila some years ago. Although popular here I dont drink so much Gin, save the occasional Martini shaken not stirred :roll: :mrgreen: ( and yes I know that is Vodka)

Not so much fan os scotch but once in a while I drank a local drink called Highball.

Drank lots of wine, usually italian or french. Sometimes Californian and ocassionally Argentinian. Never Chilean cause I dont want a hangover.

I just got a couple of bottles of french wine yesterday.

lots of water too :)

I usually dont drink at home. (seem very borracho-like :mrgreen:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Hitoruna wrote:Cuzquena negra is the best, once you drink that , you can never go back to Guiness...

Sounds like a great business opportunity. Selling Cuzqueña negra in Ireland. Competing head to head with the Guinness Brewery. :shock:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:23 pm

To me, Cuzquena negra is the only beer to have a distinctive taste. Everything else is indistinguishable from cheap, mass produced, N. American lagers, but I've been spoiled by living in places known for their micro-brews. I'd rather enjoy one or two micro-brews than put down a six-pack of schwill. Cuzquena negra could try to compete with Guiness amongst vegetarians as Guiness uses isinglass, a byproduct of the fishing industry, in its' stout. They could make a potato based beer here in Peru and call it 'Spudweiser.'
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Alan wrote:
crazytacoperu.com wrote:A friend of mine and I invented a drink with Pisco, Coke and grenadine. We call it the Pisco Gran Coca...I guess we were bored.

Great name. How did it taste?

Also bored (and with no other mix in site).. we tried Pisco and apple juice, with a shot of soda water. Not too shabby.. and the the apple juice gives you the convenient illusion that you are doing something good for your body.

Pretty good actually, My buddy is an American who works in El Salvador. He came to visit and we created the drink. He hits me on skype whenever he has some in El Salvador (he took some Pisco with him). He says they don't have any good homemade liquor in El Salvador, I guess its a pretty small country. I'll be serving it at my Halloween party.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 am

For that Cuba libre, try adding some Angostura Bitters. It gives it a distinct and smoother taste. Also, use key limes and Mexican coca cola, if available...
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm

tomasb wrote:For that Cuba libre, try adding some Angostura Bitters. It gives it a distinct and smoother taste. Also, use key limes and Mexican coca cola, if available...

In my opinion Cuba libre is best made with cacique, if you can get your hands on a bottle.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:13 pm

All kind of Pisco Sours, invented or not.

Rum mostly aged from Cuba.

Beer (agree with ironchefchris on this), mostly German or home brewed brands they are selling here.

Wine of course. In Italy I was used to drink one bottle a day, very normal there, here I have to make the bottle last 2 days.

I hate water, but I do drink it because it's necessary.

I also hate all this fruit juices with added sugar, so I'm making them at home naturally. I favour Maracuya.
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby miaperu » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:12 pm

My refreshing secret is making a Margarita with pisco. Same as a pisco sour minus the egg with a salt- rimmed glass :-D
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 pm

miaperu wrote:My refreshing secret is making a Margarita with pisco. Same as a pisco sour minus the egg with a salt- rimmed glass :-D

That sounds excellent for this weekend...I love Margaritas. My dad used to serve Margaritas with Pisco, he called it an "Inca Margarita"... was pretty good, it had both tequila & pisco.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register